• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build Kit or Advice on "Jacob Rifle"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and currently looking for advice. I'm searching for a way to (nearly) replicate a muzzle loader I found in a book. Its a gift for a friend, I know he'd prefer a percussion cap over a flintlock, but he's read this book well over ten times and I wanted to give him the "Jacob Rifle" from the book. Ill have help from some friends helping me with cost and labor. We would prefer to build it, any information would be greatly appreciated.

The Book: The Frontiersman (A Narrative) By Allan W. Eckert
The Rifle:
-Specs
  • Rifled 40in Octagonal Barrel
  • Double-Set Triggers
  • (Faux) Curly Maple Stock and Forepiece
  • Brass Trigger Guard, Patch Box, and Butt Plate
  • Percussion Cap (In the book its a Flintlock, but for ease of use and cleaning we're going with the caps)
  • Manufactured by Henry Leman of Lancaster (PA)
  • The rifle was gifted to Simon in 1771, and Butler claim he recieved it 10yrs prior (1761) from a Samuel Tigue of Lancaster as a gift before Sam died. Im not sure exactly where that puts it in terms of what decade the rifle actually belonged to.
[*].45cal

-Pg.9-March 24, 1770-Has a black & white pen illustration of a flintlock with double set triggers, curly wood stock, and patch box
-Pg.22-June 15,1771-"But Simon was again enthusiastic about seeing the Middle Ground, and so Butler had the youth to his quarters where he removed a fine Pennsylvania flintlock rifle from a peg near the door. The forty-inch octagonal barrel nestled in a forepiece of beautifully grained curly maple and the stock, of the same wood, was decorated with an eight pointed star and crescent moon in brass. The butt plate, trigger guard and patch box were also of brass and the workmanship of the lock assembly was of the finest.
This rifle he presented to Simon as a parting gift. It had, he said, been given to him over a decade ago by one Samuel Tigue of Lancaster, an old friend who died shortly thereafter. Butler himself had never used it because he'd never had need, but he knew it was a piece matched by none other and was better, in fact, than those manufactured in mother England. It was made by Henry Leman of Lancaster specifically for "those who deal with Indians in one way or another." Butler said he trusted it might someday help bring Simon back to Warm Springs.
Deeply moved by such a generous gift, which included a large shot pouch and finely wrought brass powder flask, Simon promptly -- and with Butler's approval -- named the weapon Jacob, feeling that in times to come it would stand by him and help him as the miller himself had done."

Many will echo hear that the true joy in muzzleloading is to shoot a flintlock, not a percussion gun.

I've never been convinced of this and I've owned both. I don't build, just buy, but there should be several excellent builders along shortly to help you!

This sounds like a very nice thing you are doing for your friend, hats off to you, sir! :hatsoff:

Several companies offer leman rifle kits. Track of the Wolf's is a half stock but seems to limit barrel length to 36". Muzzleloader's Builders Supply has half and full stock versions with barrels to 42" but they only have single triggers. Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading has double triggers and calibers to .58 but they don't specifically mention barrel length...but since they have kits for many types of rifles, barrel length may not be a problem. Jedediah Starr Trading Company has a full length kit with double set trigger.

As you mentioned, that distinctive striping on the stock was indeed faux maple work and was actually painted on a plain maple stock with a small brush. There are probably videos showing how it was done but must have been a moderately dry brush so it didn't over fuzz in the wood surface. This illustration is from TOTW's kit and shows one so painted. Good luck.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/he-leman-indian-trade-rifle-perc-parts-list_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the Leman rifle kits sold by places like Pecatonica River and Track of the Wolf represent the guns made by Henry E. Leman Jr. in the 1830-1860's.

The rifle referenced in the text of the book was made prior to the Rev. War so it most likely would have been made in Lancaster, Pa by either Heinreich Leman who was building guns in the 1730-1750 period or his son Peter who was building guns in the 1745-1796 period.

Peter's son, Henry E. Sr. was building guns between 1796 and 1835 and was Henry E. Jr's father.

SavageRepins7130 :

The only Leman guns I've heard of that had false striping on the stocks were those made by Henry E. Jr in the early/mid 1800's.

IMO, the kit that the gun in the book should be made from would be the Early Lancaster as offered by Pecatonica River.

It would have a swamped barrel and originally have been a flintlock.
(A swamped barrel, especially in a .45 caliber is not only historically correct, it makes the rifle much less muzzle heavy and easier to shoot.)

Speaking of flintlocks, if the new owner has access to real black powder, it not only would be more correct but it will be easier to build.
They are actually fairly easy to shoot and the members of this forum will be more than happy to help with any shooting (or building) questions you might have.

The stock should be made using real curly maple, not the cheap maple with painted stripes that Henry E. Jr. was famous for.

The only words of caution I'll mention is none of these kits are "fall together" things.

They can best be described as a box of rough pieces that need to be finished and fitted by hand.
It can easily take well over 150 hours of work to fully assemble and finish one of these guns.

Henry Leman, the one who artificially striped stocks, apprenticed with Mechior Fordney around 1830. An 1830s Leman is completely different than a pre-Rev Lancaster.

Henry E Lehman worked for Tryon in Philadelphia for a few years before opening his shop in his father's brewery.

For a better idea of what a 1760s rifle looked like, search for the John Schreit rifle. Signed and dated 1761, it was taken to England during the AWI as a war trophy and remained there until 1970 or so. It has a sliding wooden patch box cover and modest carving as does the 1770ish Andreas Albrech rifle presumably made after his moving to Lititz.

Most original flintlocks I've seen were single trigger guns.

SavageRepins7130 said:
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and currently looking for advice. I'm searching for a way to (nearly) replicate a muzzle loader I found in a book. Its a gift for a friend, I know he'd prefer a percussion cap over a flintlock, but he's read this book well over ten times and I wanted to give him the "Jacob Rifle" from the book. Ill have help from some friends helping me with cost and labor. We would prefer to build it, any information would be greatly appreciated.

The Book: The Frontiersman (A Narrative) By Allan W. Eckert
The Rifle:
-Specs
  • Rifled 40in Octagonal Barrel
  • Double-Set Triggers
  • (Faux) Curly Maple Stock and Forepiece
  • Brass Trigger Guard, Patch Box, and Butt Plate
  • Percussion Cap (In the book its a Flintlock, but for ease of use and cleaning we're going with the caps)
  • Manufactured by Henry Leman of Lancaster (PA)
  • The rifle was gifted to Simon in 1771, and Butler claim he recieved it 10yrs prior (1761) from a Samuel Tigue of Lancaster as a gift before Sam died. Im not sure exactly where that puts it in terms of what decade the rifle actually belonged to.
[*].45cal

-Pg.9-March 24, 1770-Has a black & white pen illustration of a flintlock with double set triggers, curly wood stock, and patch box
-Pg.22-June 15,1771-"But Simon was again enthusiastic about seeing the Middle Ground, and so Butler had the youth to his quarters where he removed a fine Pennsylvania flintlock rifle from a peg near the door. The forty-inch octagonal barrel nestled in a forepiece of beautifully grained curly maple and the stock, of the same wood, was decorated with an eight pointed star and crescent moon in brass. The butt plate, trigger guard and patch box were also of brass and the workmanship of the lock assembly was of the finest.
This rifle he presented to Simon as a parting gift. It had, he said, been given to him over a decade ago by one Samuel Tigue of Lancaster, an old friend who died shortly thereafter. Butler himself had never used it because he'd never had need, but he knew it was a piece matched by none other and was better, in fact, than those manufactured in mother England. It was made by Henry Leman of Lancaster specifically for "those who deal with Indians in one way or another." Butler said he trusted it might someday help bring Simon back to Warm Springs.
Deeply moved by such a generous gift, which included a large shot pouch and finely wrought brass powder flask, Simon promptly -- and with Butler's approval -- named the weapon Jacob, feeling that in times to come it would stand by him and help him as the miller himself had done."

I know you are excited about this book Rifle but...the description is wrong. The rifle described is a mid 19th Century Henry Leman trade rifle. It's like the old family Rifle claimed to be used in Kings Mountain...1780...The Battle of New Orleans 1815 ....later at Gettysburg 1863 and on examination it winds up being a Trapdoor Springfield made in 1888. :shocked2:

I suppose these references are from the 1960s. In pop culture of that time just about any, any long rifle with a cock or hammer on the side was used by the Patriots in the Revolution. See Revolutionary Trapdoor above.

Sorry but all those references and descriptions are baloney. The faux striped Henry Leman Rifles were Late Flint....Percussion Era guns Massed produced in the Lancaster area of Pa. Some are marked Leman....others..Conestoga Rifle Works. Most have a Goucher or Goulcher Percussion lock although a few were made In flint.

Likely the rifle described was originally a percussion Leman...Like most were. (They were built for decades....maybe even after the Civil War)...
Likely this old rifle was converted to Flint (Many unscrupulous individuals of that time would convert old Percussion rifles to flint....make up some names or worse, use real names and places to enhance the value of the rifle.
As said most would accept that as face value as they are not gun historians.....So Eckert like many of the time, was conned so to speak, in featuring this rifle in his book.

Now with that said a Mid 19th Century Leman are neat rifles in their own right.
If you look. You can find a shootable Leman for less than you can build one. Many are in shootable condition...others are in good enough shape to be refreshed or lined to make a shooter. A original Leman can be had for less the 2 grand....many less than 1000.
A good set of parts for a Colonial Longrifle....even a new Leman set will cost close to $1000 or more.

So....
Do you want to build a 1770s Era Rifle?
Build a 1830s-50s Leman?
Find a real Leman or Conestoga?

All will cost about the same when all is said and done.

Although Allen Eckert is one of my favorite writers, some of his historical accounts are a little, if not a lot off. The faux striped rifle your describing didn't exist until the early to mid 1800s. The era you describe would have been about 1760 to 1765 time period. I would simply purchase an early Lancaster in a 54 caliber, either in kit form or from a blank...but that's the rifle your after. I've seen another one of " Kentons rifles" in a book that a good friend has, it's a full stock Lancaster with a large military flint lock mechanism on it, it's in a museum and I can't remember which one. I've read that Kenton, as he got older and more experienced, preferred military locks due to their consistency and long life.

I love anyone who takes interest in our sport / hobby etc...

However, inleting parts and finishing the gun takes alot of work, and possibly a failed 1st project.

IF you only want to build 1 gun, get something completely inleted, and then you only got to sand and finish it.

TVM offers a leman in the white kit. Track of the wolf offers fully inleted stocks. They also will cut the sights and tennons and I think they also drill the flash hole liners too. If you're weary about cutting into the pressure vessel (barrel)....

Building requires a decent selection of tools. The in the white kits require much less special woodworking tools than it does if you have to inlet and do major shaping.

I also advise on buying it in 45 or 50 over 40. Many states require a minimum of 45 cal to be legal to hunt big game.

Also, I believe you're from California if I am correct. IF so, they have a ban on lead ammo. Finding 45 or 50 cal roundball in non-lead will be much easier than 40. Also, finding precast balls locally, 45 or 50 will be easier to find. I love flintlocks, but if you can't find real blackpowder locally or order it online, then the caplock can use pyrodex which is easier to find.

IF buying a gun with a straight barrel, I highly prefer 36 or 42". Many of the 42 inch straight barrels seem front heavy. 13/16th's or larger 42" barrel feel nose heavy when you handle them.

Leman is a later era gun.

Look at track of the wolf at their golden age rifle. It's more slender than earlier rifles, so a 40 or 45 would be right at home there. I am personally fond of early virginia and early reading rifles. Early virginia were more slender. Early Reading used a good chunk or iron for the barrel and more meat on the stock than the typical kentucky rifle folks think of.

Many arms available or made during or before the revolutionary war did not have a brass patchbox as well. Basic trade rifles, civil converted military arms, or the early german influenced rifle from the yaeger design used wooden patch boxes.

Keep in mind, many of the original guns that survived were from very wealthy folk. Guns were decorated to some extent. IT wasn't rare for the user himself to add brass tacks, or to even carve something onto the stock himself. And of course, brass was much easier to purchase and took much less labor to make into shape and finish then iron. Many places today offer firearms in iron funiture, but in almost every case it would be historically incorrect.

To see just what is needed to build a flintlock rifle, I recommend that you watch Mike Beliveau build his Lancaster rifle on Youtube.

It will take a while to watch, but then it took Mike a heck of a long time to build it.

You'll be pleased to know that he made a great job of it, too.

tac

Jim Kibler has a new rifle kit coming out. It's going to be a early Virginia Rifle.....a real Early Virginia not a Generic Lancaster with iron furniture that many advertise as a "Early Virginia". The Kibler Kit is CNC made and is very close to final shape. It's a real kit, as a matter of fact there is nothing like it. Care and skill is needed for that final assembly. If you must have percussion, that can be done but at extra cost. I do know at least one of his Mountain Rifle kits was built as percussion with a one off special lock from Jim Chambers.

Chambers, Track, both TVMs and others offer parts sets. These are a box of parts. Chambers is the best in this class as they go together pretty well. All will make a good rifle. If you have never built one of these.....the work required is incredible.

Whatever you choose....do the research and purchase the building books.

Back