• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buffalo Ball-et 54 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot a TVM 54cal Leman Rifle zeroed at 75yds with about a 2" drop at 100yds shooting 100gr of ffg T7, TOTW Mink Tallow lubed .015 patch and .530 Hornady rb. I recently came across the 310gr Buffalo Ball-et and it's supposed to shoot good in slow twist barrels. Was thinking they'd be a good option for next year's combo mule deer/elk hunt but would like input from anybody with experience with them in slow twist barrels like mine. I have fixed sights I haven't touched in years and really don't wanna have to freight with a new sight and refile and such either...

I can't help you on the bullet, although I am interested in what others say about them because I am currently build a 54 cal as a back up for my 62 cal. but, I can offer some advise on sighting in your gun. I just returned from a moose hunt and had really prepared for shooting out to 200 yards. I redid my sights to be on at 100, which put me about 12" low at 150 and about 35" low at 200. and those are factual drops from shooting the gun many, many times. I passed on a 240 yard shot because of the lack of light at first light in the morning, even though I knew were I would be at that range. I guess what I am trying to say is, be really prepared for making a long shot if it presents itself and be mentally prepared whether you can or cannot do it. good luck on your hunt!!!!!!!

I picked up 500 or 600 of the 54's a few years back and shot them a bunch through both my Lyman GRP and a TC Hawken (1:48). At 50 yards I couldn't tell them apart- accuracy was good. But out at 100 yards those from the GPR opened up more than those from the TC. Both were doing around 2" at 50 with my geezerly eyes. At 100 the TC was perking along at 4-5", but the GPR was more like 7-8". I was discouraged from trying them further with the GPR. Thought about it with the TC, but moved on to other brain storms before I tried it.

I'm guessing that with the velocity loss from 50 to 100 yards, the somewhat slower twist of the GPR lost some of it's ability to stabilize. Theory only, but my impulse would be to push them as fast as possible from a GPR to counter that a little. I was only using 80 grains of 2f in both guns, so lots more room for experiments.

I'd say go for it. But I'd figure on running up the powder scale if you want to shoot as far as your 125.

Well when it's all said and done I'm not applying at all that I think they're "Better" than a good old roundball. They've been good enough for years just looking for something with a lil more energy potential but then again don't know why since the roundies haven't ever let me down before???

When they were still available I tried them out with my Lyman Trade Rifle, which is a 54 caliber that has a 1:48 twist. Accuracy was okay but never as good as a patched round ball. To my knowledge, the only "Ball-et" currently in production is the .50, Pennsylvania Conical.
Stabilizing any lead conical is going to be more dependent on the depth of the rifling than the twist rate, and if you've already found an accurate PRB load combination and don't want to adjust your sights, then stick with what you know. The .54 round ball is a proven game getter and if you put it in the right place is more than enough for most game animals.

The .54 Round ball has never let me down. But I also limit my shooting to 100 yards. The RB looses energy real fast and elk are thick skinned and heavy boned.

My suggestion if you are going to try and shoot further than 100 yards the Ballet should retain more energy due to its Mass but make sure you are also pushing it as fast as possible.

I know when I tried the .54 Great planes bullet in my Jaeger It shot very accurate out to 50 yards with 80 grains FFFg but was dropping like a.. Well a Lead slug.. at 100 Yards. Upping the powder charge leveled it out but the accuracy suffered.

So I stuck with the RB and have never(knock on wood)had a critter, deer or elk, go more than 20 yards when hit with the RB launched by 80 grains of FFFg and 90% have hit the ground DRT.

Good Luck! Please share your results!!

Not to hijack this thread, or maybe i read your post wrong, but did you say you would take a shot at 240 yards with a .62 caliber traditional Muzzleloader at a Moose?

I tend to think of shots on moose at feet, like 75 or 100 feet. At least in Northern New England and New Brunswick where I have hunted them.

nope you didn't read it wrong. wide open area with spruces behind, rock solid rest and broadside. I shot for months to get ready for that hunt, it was in newfoundland.

I might have missed it, but I didn't see where you gave your barrel specifications (rate of twist and type/depth of rifling).

I can tell you that I shot the 54 caliber ball-ets years ago out of my Pedersoli Frontier with 1-65 twist with square botton rifling. Not sure how deep the rifling was...perhaps .008 or so.

Ball-ets shot great out past 100 yards. Since they are heavier than a .530 RB, they will have a tad more drop at 100 yards, but since I zero at 75 yards, it was well within Minute-of-Deer accuracy. I took a doe cleanly at 115 yards with one. Longest shot I ever took at a game animal. Complete pass through taking ribs on entrance and exit.

My wife used them with her Traditions Pennsylvania with a 1-66 twist barrel in .50 cal. Same kind of results. Excellent accuracy.

I use only PRB now, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone that wanted to give them a try. If you're rifling is too deep, you may need to put a wad behind them to seal the bore.

Mike

I currently run a dry 1/8" felt was between my powder and prb as a seal and a lil extra piece of mind to protect powder charge. Takes 3 extra seconds to incorporate as unload it down with the prb simultaneously

mnbearbaiter said:
Dixie has both the 50cal and 54cal in stock
If you search for the Buffalo Bullet Ball-et you will pull up Dixie Gun Works showing both the .50 and .54 Ball-ets but you will also see that they are no longer in stock since the old Buffalo Bullet Company ceased production in late 2007. They are currently relocating and state that they plan on beginning production in 2018 at which point they will be carrying the .50 Ball-et (Ballete) and other requested designs. To be clear, the original Ball-et design was a half round, half conical bullet that was dry lubed and needed no patching, with the .54 available in both 310 and 338 grain forms. Only the 50 caliber, half round, half conical design remains and is called the PA Conical; https://www.midwayusa.com/product/...s-50-caliber-512-diameter-240-grain-box-of-50
While there are some .54 bullets that are labeled Ball-ets, these are either the Great Plains or Minnie ball design and are not the same as the old half round/half conical design. Since the original post requested information pertaining to the .54 Ball-et, unless he can find someone willing to sell him some long forgotten NOS or gift him what they have left they he will either have to wait until next year or try other lead conical in search for something better that a .54 PRB.
As I said before, the depth of the rifling is more important to stabilizing a lead conical than twist rate, if one is willing to try an extremely wide range of powder charges, down to 30 grains (all things considered) in which case the sacrifice in range for accuracy would be inadequate for use as a hunting load.
If you want to shoot lead conical bullets then use a fast twist barrel with shallow rifling, and be prepared for the recoil. Several years ago I had one such rifle in 50 caliber which would tear out the bulls eye at 75 yards shooting a 220 grain Lee REAL bullet over a lubed fiber wad and 95 grains of 3f Goex. I have no doubt that this load would go through a bull elk from shoulder to rump and then exit at lethal velocity, but the recoil was brutal and I was taught to take broadside shots at the heart/lung area of a critter. The accuracy of my .54 using a PRB at 100 yards is just as good, plus I can shoot all day using the same load as I do for hunting and not come home with a dislocated shoulder or deeply bruised bicep.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back