• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bucket-list doves

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
First trip of the year...
Quite calm evening...hoping for more wind later in the week.
Found a good roost near thick pine grove..it was loaded with doves.
Set up on a flight path.
Did the flour-butter-heat recipe to medium rare..pure heaven!
Can't wait for tomorrow!
First doves with a flint Fowler for me...It felt great!
10 ga. 37.5" rice bbl Chambers early ketland lock,walnut,steel trim,cyl bore. points and swings like a dream....Life is good!
Shooting 90 gr KIK 1.5 f
90 gr 8 lead shot .
2 overshot cards thin,1/4 fiber wad lubed,1 over shot card
Null-b prime..
Doves hit the ground hard.
Batting 1000 for now!

IMG_03551_zpsf3018f98.jpg

I tried a few shots with my flint fowler on 7 mile island opening day. I hadn't worked up a load just loaded what I thought would work and went to the field, no doves died in the process. Could have been the full jug choke but was probably the inexperience of the shooter and lack of load preparation.

Donn't feel bad...they are a tough target.
Eric my shots were 25-30-33 yards..carry a range finder-deliar with me.
This helps with load testing.

The lubed 1/4 fiber wad helped to keep the bore condtion working...I swab between shots cause I can .... while working at the patteren board in the past it was a real eye opener how quickly my patteren deteriorated without consistancy of the bore condition.
I belive this magnified more so than shooting a rifle.
With out the patch conditioning the bore on the way down.
Found 1.5g KIK to be the answer in my Fowlers..
Thank You Wattlebuster for enlighting me! :bow:
There's a happy load out there for you...now go find it :thumbsup:
Good luck shoot straight....dan

Brits..
Yes 10 bore=lighter barrel
shoot the same amount of shot a 20 ga would..
Just not all stacked up! :thumbsup:

Back