• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

broken grip on Lyman Plains pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flibuste

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have ordered a kit from DGW and finished it before going to the range for firing it for the first time:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/242060/

At the first shooting session I had a problem : My load was : 35gr BP FFFg, 15gr cornmeal and a patched 530 ball

After the 5th ball, I noticed that the hook was slighly unscrewed but when I tightened it and looked more carefully I noticed that the grip was cracked ; At home after disassembling the pistol I realized that the grip was totally broken :
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=186&u=11021458

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=187&u=11021458
http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=188&u=11021458

I have spotted (with arrows) location where the dye (red indian ink) had leaked within the heart of the wood and where the wood was darker and this leads me to suspect that a crack was already initiated before .

Thanks for your experience

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling that DGW would stand behind their pistol and make it right with you with a refund or a new kit. However, with the work you've put in already you might prefer to repair the crack instead- I would think that epoxy glue and a screw or two would make a strong repair. Good luck.

Oh man lots of work to have the stock broken...

I am sure they will replace the stock if you contact them but you will never get all that work back.

When you talk to Dixie, remind them that the powder/ball load you fired is exactly what they recommend in their catalog.
You did not overload your pistol.

I have heard that their stocks are prone to crack when max loads are used. Your load was definitly within reason and should not have caused the damage. I have thought a lot about getting the plains pistol in .54 but the breakage issue is what keeps me from going ahead with the purchase. Hope you can get it replaced or repaired, good luck.

Don

I have been told that the fiber of wood should be parallel to the barrel for adequate strengh of the grip ; in this case the angle is rather 45°

Do you have any experience about that ?

Regards

I have the .54 cal Plains Pistol. If I remember right the max load is given as 60grs. I have fired that ammont of FFFg and a round ball a few times. Kicks like a ton of bricks, but gun holds up fine. Don't be worried that you will break one. You will wear yourself out before the gun.

P :hatsoff:

I think the poster is right in his thinking the crack was there to begin with. You can clearly see the stain seepage on the pictures. Its a real shame, I'm sure he could get the stock replaced no problem but no way to recover the time spent.

flibuste said:
I have been told that the fiber of wood should be parallel to the barrel for adequate strengh of the grip ; in this case the angle is rather 45°

Do you have any experience about that ?

Regards
I don't see that the grain is 45 degrees off from the barrel axis. You're looking at an end grain.

I don't see that the grain is 45 degrees off the barrel longitudinal axis. I'm also not sure that the crack is along the grain. However, the break is clearly through the weakest section of the stock, exactly where one would predict it.

Hello,

I have informed both Dixie Gun Works and Lyman of the problem ; After they have seen the photos they sent back a replacement grip without any difficulties.

However I am reluctant to start again all the work with inlays so I will try to reinforce the broken grip........

The replacement grips (one from DGW and one from Lyman) are much darker than the original one which was almost white and the grain is alongside the barrel

Regards

Use a good glass bedding kit,and a couple of brass or steel screws. Your choice.
Pre-drill the screw holes a size smaller the the screw size so you will not crack the wood.
Take the screws, cut off the heads and file a flat on them, so you can chuck them in a drill.
Screw them in after coating them and the crack with the glass bedding.
Let dry and file flush.
You might need to do a little re-finishing on a few small areas, but that stock will not split there again :thumbsup:

FWIW....that crack is clearly at a 45 degree angle from the barrel, and clearly the crack runs with the grain of the wood.

If that isn't obvious to anyone, then I need a drink of the "grain" they are sipping.

Dave

I have repaired the broken grip as follow : first the parts have been glued with "wood glue" ; then I have drilled the wood and screwed some brass rods that had been threaded before ;

To test the strengh I have shot very heavy loads :

90gr of FFF BP, 30gr crisco and 300gr Lee REAL bullets ; recoil is very very important ; my knuckel got bruised but the grip is OK !

The pistol is accurate whatever the load

lyman_10.jpg

This pistol is real magnum !!!

Glad to hear your back in business after the repair. Enjoy!

Don

Looks like a good job to me. The manufacturer tries for maximum wood utilization when cutting the stocks for these guns and pays little regard as to grain orientation. It is a manure shoot as to whether you get a good stock or one that has the grain not paralell to the bore axis especially in the lock mortise where it is weakest. If you wet the stock before starting work grain orientation is easily seen.

I like to test ride my motorcycles at top speed - rather have an accident when you expect it sort of thing, but 90gr??? :youcrazy: :)

Back