• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

broke toe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pedbutt5a.jpg

Well for comparison purposes, here is mine before I did the final chisel work (which took me a 3 or more hours) .. since I am not a "skilled" guy in this .. it was a learn as you go experince. Just be sure and take your time .. its important to keep your tools very sharp, so strop them regularly, and use an inletting agent (I used candle black), removing only the black as you go ... until it fits as you want it to! :thumbsup:

Just take it SLOW and easy .. I think thats the key IMHO. If I could do this, at least to this modest level ... with my very meager skills, so can you! Good luck!

Davy

Looks like all you need is to move it forward 1/8" (by inletting)and you'll have it.

Roy has it right. You need to move the heel extension inlett forward. Then the only wood you will have to worry about is on the upper back side of the stock to settle it in. Also keep in mind cast steel or iron will not peen in as readily as brass will.

Regards, Dave

If you already have the top of the plate screwed down, you will need to make a plug for the screw hole (in the stock) to move the whole thing forward. :thumbsup:

Roy said:
If you already have the top of the plate screwed down, you will need to make a plug for the screw hole (in the stock) to move the whole thing forward. :thumbsup:

Well shucks I had to do the same thing, plug the old holes and redrill new ones, once I finished inletting mine.

But ... be sure and mark your hole and then actually drill the screw hole slightly forward of the mark on the top hole to help draw or pull the plate into the inlet on top ... thus pulling it in tighter to the cut and making for a better fit. :thumbsup:

Davy

Thanks for the help guys, I'll take some more wood out this weekend and see what I can do.

Good tip on drilling the hole foward, I wouldn't ahve thought of that. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got in a position that I'm happy with. I inletted more on the top comb and then a bit off the toe as well. It came out OK. It's a little uneven, I accidentaly took a little more off one side than I should have. My problem is I need to learn how to use chisels and take care of them. Right now I'm no good them (unless it's putting holes in my hand).

Rat just take a break and return later and chisel til you get it where you want it! I had to do that with mine as well. It takes sharp chisels, patience, and is time consuming, but if you get tired or frustrated ... stop & take a break for a day or so and then hit it again. That one side will come along, and you will be happy you did it! :thumbsup:

Perfect practise makes perfect!

Davy

I had better luck fitting my butt plate with a small SureForm plane. It is about two inches long and an inch and a half wide and curved. It has a handle that is easy to hang on to. The cutters are replaceable. It is like a little razor sharp cheese grater. On end grain and in tight spots, I can use it to just shave off a little bit at a time. Because it is fairly wide, it tends to cut flat, but you can hold it like you want it.

Bill

Back