• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

broke toe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There is no mountain here in Wyoming name broke back. I have broke the toe area on my TOW Bridger hawken stock. I think I can glue it back on but, I don't now if there will be a line there or not. I also am not sure what glue to use. Any help?

Can you get us a picture? I could walk you through it if you can. Is it through the toe plate?

Don't use Elmer's yellow wood glue. It won't take a stain and will show a glue line. I know from experience.

I'd like to hear suggestions from the members of this community so I will know what to use the next time.

1eyedmountainmen said:
There is no mountain here in Wyoming name broke back. I have broke the toe area on my TOW Bridger hawken stock. I think I can glue it back on but, I don't now if there will be a line there or not. I also am not sure what glue to use. Any help?

You could use epoxy or yellow glue, just be sure to clean up the excess, clamp it todry, and pin it if you can.

You may have a faint line ... depending on the end grain, and if you recovered the broken piece to use, if not ... try to match it with some taken from the inside of the butt area behind thebutt cap ... that is if you do not have any scraps laying around that mnatch it.

Ohh and put a toe piece on it this time to protect the toe from most mishaps ...

Ask me why I know this! :cursing: I once bought a Ped rifle from Dixie once ... that came shipped with the toe broken off! :confused:

Davy
:thumbsup:

If its already stained wood glue will work fine as long as you can clamp it for the recomended time, and quickly clean up the excess glue before it dries.
:hmm: Actually wood glue is what I use most of the time stained or not, just got really good at hiding it.
If its all split out, not a single crack or line then you may want to consider a two part epoxy using a dye to macth the color of the stock.

considering the area that you are dealing with to get a tight glue line you may want to consider making a jig and using wedges to clamp the piece.

Roy said:
Davy, you beat me to it... :)

Well I am shore you have much more experince than me .. I have only fixed a couple of them, and only after they were forced on me that is by circumstance! :cursing:

Davy

I'll get some pics. It's a small piece,very small. It is a slit across the grain and the stock is not stained. I broke it trying to put the buttplate on. I am thinking of using 5min. epoxy. I was going to put a thin film on it.I'll post pics soon

1eyedmountainmen said:
I'll get some pics. It's a small piece,very small. It is a slit across the grain and the stock is not stained. I broke it trying to put the buttplate on. I am thinking of using 5min. epoxy. I was going to put a thin film on it.I'll post pics soon

1Eye remember that the longer the cure time the stronger the bond for epoxy generally ... so I ask you ... do you really wanna use 5 minute version or the longer cure time epoxy? It would probably be okay but why take chances .. I would use the longer setting time stuff to be safe side, and let it dry for a full day. Ima thinkin anyway. :shocked2:

Davy

99.9% of the time the glue holding the split is stronger than the wood itself, unless you botch something up (dirt, oil,....) No matter what you use get a tight fit :thumbsup:

I've used the thick super glue made for wood to fix things like this on rifles and guitars. The super glue doesn't take varnish or stain either but the glue line is usually invisible. As long as your not filling any gaps, I highly recomend this. Once it's set, you might want to consider installing a Toe plate for future protection.

Regards
Wounded Knee

I'll second Loyd's suggestion. Super glue is the way to go. I have repaired a number of stocks using it and, as he says, the line is usually invisible. You can get the glue in different consistencies, depending on the type of crack you are repairing. Hobby shops carry these.

Oneeye, did you get your butt plate to fit? I did the same thing last night. Steel buttplates... :cursing: . I stopped messing with it last night, my problem is that I need the plate to suck tighter into the wood. It looks like the overall shape is ok but I'm doubting that the screw will be able to draw it in the 1/8 -1/4" is has to go. Anybody have suggestions? Heating it up and trying to bend it is the only thing I can think of but I'm not really set up to control the bend very well.

That is Blahman trade mark, a broken toe. He should be able to tell you how to fix it.

Olie

Desert Rat, are you trying to fit a new plate, if so you haven't removed enough wood yet. If it were only 1/16th or less you could screw it in place and peen it to fit, but not a 1/4 inch. more wood removal is required. A buttplate is not as easy as it may seem. got any pics of yer problem, it might help us help you with a fix. Bill

I'm fitting a new plate to an pre-existing stock (swapping a brass for steel) I'll try and get some pics tonight if I can get a chance to get in the shop. I'm thinking that if I take out more wood I'm gonna shorten the stock more than I would like. I'll post the pics and be open for ideas.

Desert Rat said:
I'm fitting a new plate to an pre-existing stock (swapping a brass for steel) I'll try and get some pics tonight if I can get a chance to get in the shop. I'm thinking that if I take out more wood I'm gonna shorten the stock more than I would like. I'll post the pics and be open for ideas.

pedbutt.jpg

Here is a Pedersoli Frontier I am working on that I am converting to an all iron gun. I had the same issue with it about brass to iron buttplate .. I heated the Iron butt plate to red and by combining bending & peening got it down to close to what I wanted, then cut it in by chiseling the wood to fit. I know its not up to par with many here .. but I can live with it! :grin:

Davy

Wow, How bout I send you mine Davy! I would be estatic if I can get mine to turn out that good. I'm afraid my medicore skills are being but to the test on this. Here's what I have..

DSC02117.jpg

After looking at it again in a new day I don't think it will be that bad. I'm thinking to go ahead and install the actual plate screw and try alternating between tightening it and peening. I have a 1/8" to go at the worst place.

Latest posts

Back