• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broke down and got another one.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMURPHY317

36 Cal.
Reaction score
About a year ago I bought a CVA Bobcat 50 to use to teach the kids the basics of MLing and to have a plinker to have fun shooting RB with. So, when I heard CVA was getting out of the sidelock business, I thought I would see if I could find a 54cal barrel for the Bobcat. My thinking was that it would be better for elk. My oldest (14) is hoping to get drawn for a youth only hunt this year and the area we have been hunting is bow or ML only.

CVA had none and refered me to Deer Creek Products in Indiana. They had 2 54 barrels left for $65, sights and everything ready to drop in. They also had several 36cal rifles with wood stocks for $149. As an after thought I inquired about complete 54cal rifles, they had some. Well with 2 growing boys, I decided one rifle was not enough. For only $24 more than the barrel alone, I could get the whole gun in 54cal. Now the older son will have the 54 and the younger the 50.

If everything goes as scheduled I should have the new rifle by monday.

Hey,
I'll bet your boys think that " YOU ARE THE "BEST" !!!
I'll AGREE.... your are treating them right!
nothing better than teachin 'em THE GOOD THINGS !!!

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

:thumbsup: you have just made some real happy young men for sure... I commend you.

I have a Mountain Stalker (Bobcat) in .54 caliber and they are sure a good shooter. I shoot 85 grains of Triple Se7en, a wonder wad, and a moose milk patched roundball. The accuracy is outstanding. Although the recoil is a little brutal.

I finally broke down and weighted the stock of the rifle. I like to shoot is a lot and I always shoot hunting loads and got tired of getting beat up by it. I also put a cheap set of fiber optic sights I bought at Wal Mart on the rifle. What a difference they made in the sight picture to old eyes..

Good luck with your new rifle and have fun shooting with the boys....

How do you find or get in touch with Deer Creek Products of Indiana? Nothing in a web search or yellow pages.

Deer Creek PO Box 246 6989 E.Michigan Rd. Waldron In. 46182 Tel. 765-525-6181

Thanks for all the replys.

Well I'm a bit bummed. The 54 was shipped last Wednesday via FedEx. It was supposed to be delivered in 3 to 4 business days. Today I talked to Deer Creek and they confirmed it was shipped last Wed. They did follow up with FedEx and it was on the truck and scheduled to be delivered today. It did not make it, oh well maybe tomorrow. I can't even consider going shooting until next week (I'm working nights and need to sleep) but this waiting is getting old, or is it just me that getting old.

Thanks again and maybe I'll have a good news tomorrow.

Back