• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally got the breech plug in my green mountain 50 cal. barrel the other day, course I missed the flat that I wanted, I wanted to keep the makers name and cal. on the bottom flat. The plug measures under 1/2" now, more important to me is the number of threads. I had to file off approx 1 thread off the bottom of plug because the threads in the barrel did not go all the way to the shoulder, (hope you follow me) I ended up with between 4 and 5 threads, is this going to be safe? would appreciate your oppinions. flinch

Is this a 5/8 x 18 or what?
I think you'll be fine. I do not hesitate to shorten a plug by one thread. They are generally longer now than on originals and the threads are finer and stronger too than on most early American guns.

As long as the face of the breech plug butts up against the rifled bore, and there is no gap between the breech plug face and the bore, you will be okay. If you do have a gap, you might fit a slug, or spacer made to fit and fillthe gap between the face of the plug and the bore. I had to do just that with a semi-custom made gun I converted from percussion to flint, and found that the maker had not fitted the barrel to the plug, leaving a gap that was collecting powder residue and rusting out the back of the barrel no matter how much flushing and soap and water I put down that gun when I cleaned it.

Latest posts

Back