• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breaches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderhawk1828

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This is most likely the "dumb question" of the week, but what types of breaches are there? I was reading about lubing the barrel in a post and it was mentioned that if you have a patent breach you may need a patch to reach the breach??

I have a GPR (and I believe its a patent breach) and I clean it "normally" - never thought that there would be different types of breaches?? Do i need to clean it differently to be sure I get all of the barrell (and breach) clean and oiled? Never thought i had a problem in cleaning before??

Thanks.

If your ramrod with jag and cleaning patch reach the bottom of the bore, and comes back out again intact, chances are you don't have a patent breach. If there was a firing chamber down there that was large enough to accept the patch, it, being smaller than the bore, would likely stick the patch on the way back out. :results:

If you have a GPR you have a patent breech. If you look down the barrel with a light you will see that there is a hole smaller than the bore going back into the breech plug. I think it is suppose to improve ignition.
I use a 9mm bore brush to get back in there to clean it. It may help the ignition but is a pain to clean. It seems most production guns have them these days.
Old Charlie

When cleaning and the nipple removed, I always fish in the flash channel with at pipe cleaner soaked with solvent.

After everything is clean I fish a pipe cleaner in there again with lube.

Before shooting, I clean the flash channel with another pipe cleaner soaked with alcohol to remove the lube.

:m2c:

Patten breeches are the main reason I still like the old bucket of soapy water cleaning. It is a bit of bother but is the only way I know to really clean and flush out the powder chamber and flash channel connecting the chamber to the nipple seat.
On your GPR that flash channel is probably about 1/8" and if there is a layer of caked fouling all around that you have a very tiny passage remaining.
On my own Lyman Trade Rifle I redrilled and taped the clean out screw to 10x32 and installed a hardened roundhead slotted screw for easy removal. Lots of folks say forget the clean-out, never remove it, but I find it helpfull to pull out that screw and run a pipe cleaner through it at the range whenever I suspect that ignition is becoming marginal.
I really prefer a flat faced breech plug with drum & nipple but with a good clean-out screw there also. Be sure to shorten any clean-out screw so that it doesn't bottom out on the nipple and keep it coated with anti-seize grease.
:m2c:

Back