• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass Frame Remingtons In The Old West?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iregardless of the remarks about outlawing hydralic mining, in the opening scene it mentions the California gold rush of 1848

Last edited:
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that they didn't have gold plated 12 shot recoilless revolvers in the old west. Man, I'm watching the wrong movies 🤣

That is why Hollywood is not on my radar screen. You would think that with all the single action and western loyalists that Hollywood would correctly have period firearms for the silver screen. Bonanza, which started pre Civil War, that they would have had cap and ball revolvers instead of Colt SAA and Remington's. Then, again, you cannot expect "correctness" out of idiots. A person or industry who reports to know everything, KNOWS NOTHING. Remember YANKS and REBS, you can fool some of the people, some of the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. I wonder why certain parts of our nation has not thought of that.
Muzzleloaders are not just for hunting season.

The older westerns , I can overlook them using 94 Winchesters and peacemakers. It’s all they had in the prop department, and they wanted firepower on screen, and these guns worked with blanks. Newer ones ? There is a whole new world of reproductions guns they can use.

Got my Laurel Mountain, my ferric nitrate and ferric chloride and I'm ready to brown some brass and iron.
Eh, if only I had one of them second hand brass framed 1858's. :)

Movies etc. are generally entertainment for a mass market; if you made only 'perfect' films they'd be boring documentaries. And go broke in the process. The newer Westerns are much better than all the old "B" market stuff where every single guy in town is sporting a low-slung, leg-tiring holster and gun. Try running around all day with a gun belt slung low under the hip line. Can you say, "tiring"?

That's the argument but the actual data proves it wrong.

Downton Abbey was a several years long BBC series that eventually spawned a movie as well. Not boring, no reason that it should be just because of better accuracy. They had on their staff an Oracle. He was the historian for the era, and he could halt a scene and overrule the director, if needed. RUNAWAY HIT.

What makes it worse, is the Hollywood often changes an excellent story into something different, or adds additional stuff, that simply isn't needed, while MISSING obvious opportunities.

Jamestown 🤮, massive potential, craptastic writing, poor costuming. Completely fails.

Reign 🤮 also great potential, but ludicrous in writing, also poor costuming. Example: The illiterate boyfriend of one of the Scottish ladies-in-waiting somehow crosses the sea, gets to castle of the King of France, gets inside, and finds the bathtub room where his girlfriend is bathing.... later the actual Queen of France conducts a job interview with the lad (REALLY?)

Sons of Liberty
🤮 SO BAD that the fact the director cashed her paycheck borders on criminal fraud. Costuming was actually WORSE than that seen in the TV Series Daniel Boone, and that was forty years prior without the resources of this production. Caused a lowering of respect of women directors.

We're not talking minor details, like too many candles when they would've used lamps, or Mexican ceramic chimineas used on a set instead of a proper oven. We're talking fundamental realities and customs that actually enhance the drama and impact of what actually happened.

LD

Looking forwards to some day finally getting the brass frame 1860 gussied up.
Need to replace one spring (factory mistake) with a longer one and do the browning.
Got a new dremel for Christmas so maybe will increase the loading portal as well.

In regards to the mention of sunglasses depicted in the western movies. The colored glasses were prepared by a doctor to cut down on the glare to those unfortunate individuals who had contacted syphilis in that period of time. The eyes were affected. Medicine to cure syphilis was not available until the late 1930's, early 1940's One of the Kenny Rogers westerns had a lady wearing colored glasses.

In regards to the mention of sunglasses depicted in the western movies. The colored glasses were prepared by a doctor to cut down on the glare to those unfortunate individuals who had contacted syphilis in that period of time. The eyes were affected. Medicine to cure syphilis was not available until the late 1930's, early 1940's One of the Kenny Rogers westerns had a lady wearing colored glasses.
Hey…… the older ladies my brother used to date always wore sunglasses….😵‍💫

I would like to mention a forgotten gem of a movie. A 1940 Western named Arizona. Jean Arthur and William Holden staring. A percussion saturated movie. Cap and ball revolvers everywhere and a almost never seen Colt revolving rifle. Even a Starr revolver for the bad guy. Takes place from 1860 Tucson to just past 1865. Only one cartridge gun and that could have been there a 1859 Henry 44. They would have had to be all orginal guns too. I have a DVD and this may be hard to find.

Back