• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bottoming Files

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use flat rifler files....only the curved ones. I was a tool and diemaker and the companies I worked for supplied the files....mostly Swiss. Must be some catalogs that have rifler files.....Fred

Thanks; yes I have several good sets of riffler files but saw one builder using a square bottoming file to form molding line above the ramrod channel. I have planned to use my riffler files which would work but I wanted to try the bottoming file. I can make due with what I have but new tools are always a good thing.

I don't use flat rifler files....only the curved ones. I was a tool and diemaker and the companies I worked for supplied the files....mostly Swiss. Must be some catalogs that have rifler files.....Fred
Yup, I always am sing the curved Rifflers ( my sets are like 30 years old lol). I use the straight ones as well, whatever the job calls for. Swiss and German ones seem the best from what I have read.

I'm not finding much on-line. I have a fine and a coarse from many years ago but to be honest, have found them less useful than a scraper. What area are you needing to work?
I know right. Must be a specialty item. I’m doing ramrod molding lines but I think they would be useful for other applications as well.

Not exactly sure what you’re looking for. Dem-Bart supplies checkering files of various dimensions, which work great, however plug easily. They even make beading files if you want a double line.
I use them to deepen a line. To straighten a line, I use a small three corner file with the handle bent upwards for a grip. That puts a solid 3” file in the groove.
Hoping that’s what you’re talking about.

Not exactly sure what you’re looking for. Dem-Bart supplies checkering files of various dimensions, which work great, however plug easily. They even make beading files if you want a double line.
I use them to deepen a line. To straighten a line, I use a small three corner file with the handle bent upwards for a grip. That puts a solid 3” file in the groove.
I also like the checkering tools and used them to make a raised bead edge on both the ramrod and lower stock molding.

Hi Bob,
I suspect you are referring to these images I posted.
oztCgFr.jpg

FkYhoKU.jpg

I do not remember where I got that tool. It has been 30 years or more. However, they are easy to make from old files or rasps.

dave

Hi Bob,
I suspect you are referring to these images I posted.
oztCgFr.jpg

FkYhoKU.jpg

I do not remember where I got that tool. It has been 30 years or more. However, they are easy to make from old files or rasps.

dave
[/QUOTE

Dave- yes that’s it! It looks like a good tool- I found one for sale in Dixie and ordered it. We’ll see if it is any good in a few weeks… if I had the capability I would definitely fabricate one.

I will have to check out that company Dembart Supplies. Thank you for that lead!!
The tool I was thinking about is the one Dave P has posted above.
My Christmas list is getting long now…

Not sure if it is actually something you can use, but look for Auriou Cranked Neck Curved Ironing Rasp. They are offered in several grains, fine to coarse by a number, and widths. A slight curve to them. Even on the websites I see them on they may be grouped with straight rasps. Be sure to search down the menus.

Oh, here's another. An ironing rasp.

https://www.workshopheaven.com/liogier-ironing-rasp-straight-10-20mm-width.html

Small bent files and riflers are easy to make by heating and bending the area above the file to what ever angle you need. Also you can take some inexpensive needle files or other small files and slow grind, to avoid heat build up, and form almost any shape you need. We made an entire set of carving tools in a Conner Prairie carving class out of inexpensive Walmart/Lowe’s needle files and small screwdriver sets and accomplished our low relief carving with these. You can make almost any speciality tool you can think of and I suggest you experiment with some inexpensive ones and when you find what works best, purchase a better quality toll to modify for the long term. Good luck.

Back