• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Condition Opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBOWL10

32 Cal
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this bore? It’s a 45 caliber Miroku Kentucky. Is it salvageable?

IMG_5670.png

Attachments

• IMG_5670.png
    IMG_5670.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5671.png
    IMG_5671.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
What are your thoughts on this bore? It’s a 45 caliber Miroku Kentucky. Is it salvageable?

View attachment 301810
I've lead slug lapped quite a few barrels over four decades and have found that if the crown is in good shape and the rifling is still strong that pits have almost nothing to do with barrel accuracy if they do not cause patch tearing or bullet deformation.
Pitted barrels will fill with lube and other fouling very quickly (a shot or two) and as far as the projectile is concerned is as smooth as the day it was newly finished. IF the pits do not hook lead or cause patch tearing the ball or bullet simply does not care !

I've lead slug lapped quite a few barrels over four decades and have found that if the crown is in good shape and the rifling is still strong that pits have almost nothing to do with barrel accuracy if they do not cause patch tearing or bullet deformation.
Pitted barrels will fill with lube and other fouling very quickly (a shot or two) and as far as the projectile is concerned is as smooth as the day it was newly finished. IF the pits do not hook lead or cause patch tearing the ball or bullet simply does not care !
Thanks for your input.

Big into center fire and the first thing folks do is get a bore scope and look at the barrel bore.
Big mistake. BIG MISTAKE!! The barrel shoots BUG HOLES but the bore scope tells you it's JUNK and would make a semi good tomato stake. 5 shots that can be covered with a dime but it's still junk. :eek:

See what your target tells you and how easy it is to load. ;)

Big into center fire and the first thing folks do is get a bore scope and look at the barrel bore.
Big mistake. BIG MISTAKE!! The barrel shoots BUG HOLES but the bore scope tells you it's JUNK and would make a semi good tomato stake. 5 shots that can be covered with a dime but it's still junk. :eek:

See what your target tells you and how easy it is to load. ;)
I was thinking about buying it so I can’t shoot it. It’s a pawn shop find.

Oh, c'mon you guys. It's going to take some work, but that bore is salvageable. Depends on how much elbow grease OP wants to expend and how good of a killer deal he can get from the pawn shop.
Agreed, it needs a lap job but the pits will still be there. Lapping takes off the sharp corners and edges that tear patches and hook lead, it seldom removes any significant piting as we're talking barrel steel removal in the ten thousands range.
What I have discovered that causes leading from bullet use is a constriction that opens up a bit. The lead will often be deposited in the opened up area ahead of the constriction where gas pressure escapes around the bullet base. Piting seems to have very little leading cause if not sever in many barrels I have mapped out and lapped level. They simply fill with lube and act like part of the original barrel.
Two of the best tools I have for barrel work is a Hawkeye bore scope and set of precision plug gauges. A bore scope viewing has to be properly interpreted and this takes some experience to be of any use other wise it just scares a person into believing manure that has no relevance.
I remember early on after gun school thinking that I could predict if a new barrel I was fitting would be accurate or not from viewing the bore. What a lesson in nonsense I learned very quickly as time and experience took over and began slapping me up side the head ! 😄 :doh:

I agree with those who say it will shoot with a bit of TLC. If it doesn't another $200 & Bobby Hoyt. Miroko barrel are worth saving, especially if you don't have a lot in and the rest of the gun is good.

Latest posts

Back