• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

books on longrifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al v

32 Cal.
Reaction score
need books to start learning about longrifles, what is a good start, for about 100 dollars. 1700-1860 iknow it is a broad span. oldman22, thank you for help

A book that many overlook is Foxfire V...It has a section on rifles and rifle makers from the 70s along with a little background about the development of the American Longrifle...

Look at your local library for some of the Shumway books as well...

You're covering a long period of time and $100 doesn't buy many books anymore.Here's a few I like,prices aproximate-

The Kentucky Rifle by John G.W.Dillin.....$50

Muzzle Loading Caplock Rifle by Ned Roberts.....$35

Longrifle Articles Vol.1 and Vol.2.....By George Shumway-180 articles from Muzzle Blasts....$35 per volumn

Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850 by James R.Johnston.....$35

This publisher has some detail oriented books about longrifles that are about the standard on the subject-
http://www.shumwaypublisher.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle by Henry J. Kauffman covers the early PA makers all the way to the late 19th Century. Written in 1960 so a lot of new info has been made available since, but still covers a lot of good info including short bios of makers and distributors. Got mine for $35. I've seen this book priced up to $50-$65.

The above mentoned books are also very good reading.

thank you all for the response, 100 dollars is what i have to send. save and buy more, when i get a direction to go.oldman22

Reference books - you got to love them. Some are classics, some are dated but still useful for photos if nothing else, some have photos but only fair in quality and some newer books have both great photos and well researched information, some are not very good at all but are all that exists on a specific subject. Very few good books are inexpensive. I suggest that you get your local library to get you as many as you can by using intra-library loan, look thru them & make your "I want a copy for myself" list & then use ABEbooks.com or Bookfinder.com to see what deals you can get on both new and used copies & then choose how to spend your cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shop around when you decide you want.I have found many times you can buy some books cheaper from the publishers than the bookfinder services.Do see if you can get them through your library first to see if it's what you do want.

I'm retired,$100 is a lot to spend if it isn't what you thought or want so I understand getting the most for what you have to spend.So many books,so little money. LOL

Never thought to ask,most of the books listed are about aspects with historical information.Are you looking for something more related to shooting and maintaining them?

thanks to all again for your input. books right now are to get info and direction. maybe biuld 36 cal., or fowler before hands give up,haha

Oldman22,
I would definitley go with the Kaufman, Dillin and Roberts books, they are among the classics. There's usually a copy of the Roberts book on
eBay, pretty reasonable. The others are worth the effort to find.
Mark

Cruise around some of the sights selling old and comtemporary rifles and smoothbores like Track of the Wolf and the Contemporary Longrifle Assoc and look at the offerings.Might give you an idea on the direction you might take an interest in.Lots of good stuff to look at out there.I like looking at pictures of Mid-west built rifles,someday I'd like to have one built copying one,someday.LOL

Back