• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blowing down the barrel, etc...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tg: Your problem with the hammer was because you didn't blow down the handle! :grin:

zonie :rotf:

Cooner54 said:
Did this book have any of his paintings/pictures in it?

A few - one bird painting, one of his son (I think), as well as a couple of portraits of Audubon and family by other painters and some photos. All in black and white. These are his journals, and don't have much in the way of paintings. Audubon does describe how he made his paintings in the text.

I just got these this afternoon, so I haven't had much time to look them over.

I made out well at a library sale last month. "The Living World of Audubon" by Roland C. Clement and "The Living World of Audubon Mammals" by Robert Elman (ISBN 0-448-11831-9 & 0-448-12459-9, 1974 & 1976 Grossett & Dunlap). Paid $1 each! 64 bird/fowl and 62 mammal plates (followed by photographs of the species). A great way to enjoy Audubon on the cheap.

I always get a kick out of the expressions on some of the anti-hunters faces when they bring up Audubons fantastic paintings of birds and I point out to them that he was a hunter that killed each and every one of the birds he drew.
zonie :)

tg said:
Man, this one always takes off, many things can be dangerous, I hit my thumb with my hammer yesterday while setting up some foundation forms with the crew, but I went and bought a new hammer so it should not happen again...

Sometimes,I heard if you Blow on that Thumb it will feel better...However I wouldn't want to get caught Blowing on my thumb on a Construction site. :wink:

Did you read the instructions with the new hammer... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

In the interest of teaching my 2 children proper firearm etiquet and safety we swab between every shot, and do not put the barrel of any gun in our mouth.

Took my kids to a turkey shoot a few yrs ago, saw a guy walking along the firing line between the shotguns and shooters drinking a beer, we went home and I refused to remain a member.

As an adult you do what you want, don't jepordize my kids for your stubborn :bull: .

I don't know of anyone who is advocating putting a gun barrel in their mouths. So much for your :bull: Teaching your kids what to do is your business. I'll teach mine. We swab and/or blow down the barrel immediately AFTER we shoot. Does anybody on here know how to read English? :shake:

I am sorry for a few here, how much I agree with you. I have heard the checking to see if the vent is open story. Duh, the vent clogs when you run a patch down or send the next load down. I have NEVER seen a vent plugged from the intial firing. The softening of the cruds in the barrel is another one. What are these guys doing,slobbering down the barrel or french kissing it? If they have that long of tongue, there may be hope for them. Yes, when I am trying to get the fire in to light in a campfire, I blow on the embers to get them to flair. Many who do this just have a bad habit and think it looks cool. It will not be stopped like other life threatning habits are not given up. Some will even say they are not putting the barrel in their mouth but simply blowing down it.I really don't think that 1 inch of clearance will save them. The old standby rule is to treat every gun as if it is loaded, so it goes to show many can't read those safety rules either. Would you think it was OK to have someone point a gun at your head? I doubt it, but I guess if you want to do it to yourself, enjoy! This topic will be fought over as long as there are those who think it is OK to point the barrel of thier gun at their own heads. Now, I will try to sit back and let those pour burning oil on me. :surrender:

Cooner, it is we that are out of step. If you don't have little rubber thingy's in your bathtub to keep from falling, if you ride a motorcycle without a helmet, hunt without orange, or act like a free man in any way, the other side can no longer understand anything you do! I will leave the reasons for you to figure out! Me, I did not ask anyone's permission to be me!

And no, they can not read anything that contradicts the lessons they have absorbed thru the years from catchy little slogans used in the national media by insurance companies and gun grabbers. It is dangerous for them to blow down a barrel they just fired because their mind plays tricks on them. They don't know a cap popping from the load firing, or a flash in the pan from a load going off. They might put it in their mouth still loaded with a load cooking off. That is likely true, for THEM! The only question left is why the rest of us go anywhere around a bunch of folks who don't know if their gun just went off or not while they have those guns in their hands!
Save your breath and forget trying to explain it to them. Just say something like, We must all stand together, and smile like that means something. They will think you are one of them and shut up!

The only question left is why the rest of us go anywhere around a bunch of folks who don't know if their gun just went off or not while they have those guns in their hands!
:yakyak:

Yes please stay home, it will be easier for the rest of us to carry the responsible load of firearm ownership into the future. :hmm:

As far as blowing down the barrel, thats fine for a crusty old fart. But kids learn by repettion, so it becomes automatic, ever see a kid screw up?

Yes, I have seen kids mess up! In fact, I worked at the Hyland center for adolescent patients for a while. I would suggest that I know a lot more about what teaching methods, chance happenstance, accidents of birth, and family does to children than you will ever even dream that there is to know. I used to spend 8 to 16 hours a day trying to straighten the mess out. If you want to get into discussing working with a young girl born without sex organs who is 14 and they are starting to correct the problem surgically after several years of the other children torturing her, we need to start a private topic. This one is about muzzleloading. If you wish to discuss how to get the attention and teach the child with a 160 IQ that was busted ordering a 55 gallon barrel of Dextromethorphan for him and his buddies to drink at school, we need to start a private conversation.
You are not my keeper, or my children's keeper either. My children grew up with a loaded gun within easy reach all their lives. They were taught exactly how to handle guns and how not to also. They all knew that to get caught touching the gun behind the door unless told would be worse than shooting themselves with it. None of them were ever caught doing so! Guns are simple tools.
As far as staying home and not coming out to bother you people. That is pretty much what I and a whole lot of other folks here do. You are the reason! Welcome to why they NMLRA is dying! Heck, we bought our own ground that backs up to thousands of acres of public ground and I go shoot where reality still holds the high ground. I shoot with free people!

This is not directed at anyone, I'm clicking on the last post.

There's really no need to argue about any of this.

As long as it doesn't endanger me, mine, or someone else, I really don't care what people do. It's their choice.

A personal comment about handling firearms (again, I don't care what others do, unless it effects me or my loved ones).

Example: When I take a revolver out of the safe, to show someone, I pop open the cylinder to be sure it's not loaded. After doing that, I still never place my finger on the trigger or point it at anyone. Why, you might say, as I just made sure it wasn't loaded? Because. Because my 'personal' rule is, you never point a gun at anything you don't want to shot, even an unloaded one. Having "just fired it", or "just checked it", makes no difference, to me.

Now, that's just me and again I don't give a hoot what others do. (keeping in mind the, "it endangers me" rule) :grin:

So, people can take my opinion and all the other opinions on the Forum and decide for themselves how they wish to proceed. No need for name calling or arguments.

Apologies Claude! The feeling sorry comment from this guy set me off. Too early for BS that deep. No boots on yet! I am out of the discussion!

Claude, you are very right. I often say there is a ritual to using firearms. Follow it exactly and you'll never come to harm, nor hurt anyone else. Violate any part of the ritual at extreme peril. If the firearm is NEVER pointed at anything it shouldn't be, no one ever gets shot. graybeard

I started this thread simply to point out several period things that were done according to Audubon [whose name I think I typoed several times as 'Audabon']--I should have known better I guess...the point was not to try to start an argument--these things typically start as discussion, then disagreement, then heated argument, then name-calling...just to point out that there is precedent to several things SOME do today, such as blowing down the barrel, greasing a patch strip and cutting at the muzzle, carrying a bag knife, etc. If I recall in another Audubon passage, he describes Boone as wiping between shots, too [another point that gets heated here]. Everyone needs to seek their own method, that is safe for them, practice it until it becomes natural and keep alert and concentrated when handling and shooting any firearm. My grandad and dad were hunters, and my dad was an FBI Agent. They drilled gun safety into my head, but allowed me to accompany them hunting [initially as an observer] when I was still in diapirs, and taught me to shoot as soon as I was able to hold up a .22 rifle. My whole life has been around firearms and not one accident! Care, alertness, no fooling around, disciplined method...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back