• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

blowing down the barrel, etc...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Runner said:
Apologies Claude! The feeling sorry comment from this guy set me off. Too early for BS that deep. No boots on yet! I am out of the discussion!

No apologies necessary. We're just talkin' here. :grin:

I should have added that I'm not even saying that pointing an "unloaded" gun is not safe. I'm just saying I don't do it, that's all. :v

Dave K said:
I am sorry for a few here, how much I agree with you. I have heard the checking to see if the vent is open story. Duh, the vent clogs when you run a patch down or send the next load down. I have NEVER seen a vent plugged from the intial firing. The softening of the cruds in the barrel is another one. What are these guys doing,slobbering down the barrel or french kissing it? If they have that long of tongue, there may be hope for them. Yes, when I am trying to get the fire in to light in a campfire, I blow on the embers to get them to flair. Many who do this just have a bad habit and think it looks cool. It will not be stopped like other life threatning habits are not given up. Some will even say they are not putting the barrel in their mouth but simply blowing down it.I really don't think that 1 inch of clearance will save them. The old standby rule is to treat every gun as if it is loaded, so it goes to show many can't read those safety rules either. Would you think it was OK to have someone point a gun at your head? I doubt it, but I guess if you want to do it to yourself, enjoy! This topic will be fought over as long as there are those who think it is OK to point the barrel of thier gun at their own heads. Now, I will try to sit back and let those pour burning oil on me. :surrender:

Dave K, I have expected better of you. This post is full of inflammatory rhetoric. This kind of :bull: is what really starts the fights on this forum. Rare they are. I would like to discuss this without a bunch of manure. If you can't argue logic ya start slinging manure? The same with Apprenticebuilder right behind you. If you guys have to stoop to belittling others and you can't even seemingly read a logical thought without posting rude remarks, I would just rather you not post. This discourse started out as friendly then we have some that think knocking teeth out like chiclets is funny and is considered a reasonable post on this thread. A Moderator who responds to that kind of humor in a positive way? Maybe Moderator means something else on this forum. I hope not!

What's puzzling about this thread is that some think it's so important for other people to agree with their particular opinion that they won't let go of it and drop it.

Blowers state their opinion and thats excellent.
Non Blowers state their opinions and thats excellent.
But the blowers won't accept that there are different opinions and let the discussion end on that note...they start getting ugly about it.

For example, I've said I'll never point a muzzle at my head when I'm involved in a live ammo shooting environment under any circumstances, but I don't feel any emotion towards anyone who does while they're blowing down a barrel...it's just two different opinions and I say to them, go for it.

What I don't understand is why the blowers keep fanning the flames (pun intended) every time somebody disagrees with the blower viewpoint.
Then very predictably, it escalates into name calling, making implications that people are stupid, implying that people can't read, etc...do the blowers actually believe that sort of behaviour will get non-blowers to suddenly change their opinions? Right, that'll happen.

Lets say blowers should continue blowing down barrels to their hearts content.

Let's say non-blowers should continue not to blow down barrels.

And I bet big money that the earth will still turn on its axis and the sun will still rise in the East...there are far bigger problems in the world than trying to get everybody to agree with whether or not people should blow down the muzzle of a rifle in a shooting environment.

:thumbsup:

What rhetoric, what manure? When you though out the BS it is ok to land in others laps, but if it lands in your lap, it is manure. Your right, you can expect better for me. But some of the posts made by those before I posted, started my fire. I have to agree with both Claude and Roundball among some others. If you want to do this yourself, do it, as long as it doesn't hurt mine or me. Though I will never be swayed from not trying to guide new shooters or youth to learn any habits that can potentially be harmful to themselves. I read so many posts in this thread where you were leading with your chin. I see, it is OK for you, but not others to veiw thier opinions, but it is OK for you. Hmmmmmmm

Roundball, I have not said anything to you personally so I don't know where you are coming from. The same can be said about non-blowers on this thread. If we don't agree with them they start there exxagerations instead of arguing logically. I don't give a fig whether you blow or even wipe in between shots. That is your decision. But, the new guys need to know the reasons why that is a dangerous practice.

Dave K and others who choose to make exaggerations and threats, remarks like french kissing the barrel, sticking the barrel in your mouth, slap you 'til your teeth fall out like chiclets, are unexceptable statements and deserves the question as to whether you know how to read English. Those kinds of tactics are usually used by those who don't have a valid and logical argument.

I have never told any of you guys that you better blow down the barrel or I am going to slap you silly or anything of the such. That kind of rude behaviour has come from the other side of the fence. I have offered logical arguments for blowing between shots without any of that kind of rhetoric. Until, of course, my post and others were misrepresented from your side of the fence.

I do take serious offense to "valid and logical argument". If you are able to comprehend, you will read I am talking about getting moisture into the bare to soften the fouling as most barrel blowers will use as a valid reason. Taking words out of context, does not inforce flawed logic. If you read it as it is typed, "Some will even say they are not putting the barrel in their mouth but simply blowing down it.I really don't think that 1 inch of clearance will save them." Don't accuse those of not being able to read and understand English, until you can yourself.

It seems to me that several things can be learned from this post.

The blowers feel that pointing the muzzle of a recently fired gun at their own head is not only acceptable but it is a recommended way of preventing a possible discharge of the next load due to a glowing ember left by the proceeding shot.
They also feel that the moisture in their breath will soften the powder fouling which will make loading the next shot easier.
They also believe they should be entitled to point their gun at their mouth in the presence of all other people including children in all locations including public shooting ranges.

The non-blowers feel that the rules of proper firearm handling which includes not pointing a firearm, loaded or unloaded, at anything which can be killed over rides the fear of a possible discharge of the next load.
They believe that allowing others to violate this rule around other shooters and children should not be permitted in public places such as shooting ranges.

As for comments made in earlier posts I think that asking if people cannot read English is somewhat rude as the asker is obviously aware that the other person can indeed read English. This leaves intentionally questioning the other peoples intelligence as the only motive behind asking such a question.

As for the comment about knocking out teeth, that statement was prefaced by the words, "...if you point your muzzle, loaded or not, at me or mine, one of two things will happen..." and had nothing to do with blowing down a barrel. It was directed at proper gun etiquette around others.

I join roundball in questioning why people seem to take the question of blowing down a barrel as a major issue needing such a heated debate. I suppose the blowers feel that the non-blowers are attacking them and their methods personally.

Anyway, for now, I think I will just sit back and watch the rest of the fights.

zonie :)

If i may inject a thought, as i have already stated i blow down my barrel after each shot, my choice.
I have never shot at a competition where there are strangers and kids around.
I believe out of the sake of a misunderstanding or giving a kid the wrong impression if i had too blow i would turn my back away from kids.
As far as adults each there own and keep your opinion to yourself thank you.
Most of us as kids are taught in gun safety not too point a gun at anything you don`t intend to shoot so for the benefit of the doubt i wouldn`t do it openly in front of kids.
There are other methods that can be taught too kids about how too make sure the gun is safe too reload like running a very wet patch down the barrel.
I hate too see us grown ups argue over something that as far as kids are concerned should be a no starter.
Sorry if that ruffles feathers but that`s just my thoughts. :v

Edit to add.
I myself believe it`s safer too blow down the barrel but when it comes too kids when they grow up they can make their own choice. In the mean time run avery wet patch followed by a dry one.
Now ya can tell me to shut up.
:haha:

This is the response that shows respect for those teaching kids firearm safety :applause:

Very well put :bow:

I have to confess,I blow down the barrel once in a while, (when no one is looking) I allso know the gun just fired. I see no problem in blowing down the barrel if the gun has just been fired, still not something I would want my daughter to do though. The problem is a lot of people are not into muzzleloaders as much as most around here, just don't understand them like we do. We had a muzzleloader shoot a couple years ago, a friend shooting a cap lock had a missfire and as soon as the cap went off, blew down the barrel, evidently to see if the gun was loaded. Now this guy shoots a lot of modern guns, and a muzzleloader a couple times a year. By the way, the gun was loaded and went off after he put another cap on it. How many of you have noticed smoke coming out of the muzzle as you pour the powder down the barrel? I notice this from time to time when I do not blow down the barrel. Confusing huh? flinch

ApprenticeBuilder said:
This is the response that shows respect for those teaching kids firearm safety :applause:

Very well put :bow:

Thanks, but i also want to say i am no athority about every aspect of a muzzleloader and my points are about saftey concerning what most kids are taught about pointing any kind of gun at any thing they don`t intend too shoot.
I`m sure there are some very valid reasons for blowing and not blowing but it`s still my opinion that why take any chances when kids are concerned. Isn`t running a very wet patch down the barrel the best method too teach kids???
I`msorry but too me if a kid was taught or seen someone blowing down a barrel they could pick up a modern loaded fire arm and do the same.
I do think that calling each other names here is uncalled for, we`re all friends here. :thumbsup:

Some of the same folks talking about a bad example being set by blowing down the barrel in front of kids may be the same ones that will go ahead and load on a hot barrel without swabbing or blowing. I hope their kids don't follow this bad example and lose fingers because of the training they are giving them. There is definitely proof positive that there is a big chance of cook off in blackpowder barrels big or small. Blow down the barrel or swab between each shot. Whichever you are comfortable with.

The blowing up the tail pipe comment has nothing to do with this thread, bad analogy. The chiclets phrase had nothing to do with this thread either. We aren't talking about aiming guns at anyone else.
A ML gun is a completely different critter than a modern firearm. A whole different set of rules apply.
I wonder how many more people have to lose hands and fingers before the NMLRA redresses this ruling.

How many of you have noticed smoke coming out of the muzzle as you pour the powder down the barrel?

I see smoke being forced out of the vent from swabbing the bore, but never as powder is being introduced.

I witnessed a younger man with his new wife at a club shoot take a loaded muzzleloader that had just mis-fired turn away from the firing line (with muzzle pointing @ several folks as it passed them), with the intention of clearing the bore :shake: This same individual had shot with the club as a youngster. People do some strange things without reasonable cause but it still happens.

I`m sure there are some very valid reasons for blowing and not blowing but it`s still my opinion that why take any chances when kids are concerned. Isn`t running a very wet patch down the barrel the best method too teach kids???
:v

This is the practice I use with mine, wet patch after the shot, walk to the next station and start over.

Too me there could be young kids in the audience at shows or competitions that arnt being instructed that could see people blowing down barrels and go home and pick up a handgun and stick it in their mouth and accidentally pull the trigger. :shake:
I may be way off base here but the thought of a kid seeing and doing that scares the heck out of me.
I don`t need too get into how guns should be locked up and everything, accedents happen.

If you are willing to shoot places that insist on making such decisions for everyone else, then run a damp patch on both sides and a dry patch on both sides. The patch does not have to be more than damp because it pushes air in front of it exactly like blowing does, and then pulls air back the other way. If you run a damp patch on both sides and then a dry patch twice, more than enough air is pulled and pushed thru the breech to cause an ember to flare up and burn out.
At no time in this discussion did I hear any person that said they blew down the barrel try to convince anyone else to do so. The claims to the contrary are what leads folks to believe others can not read.
I am out of the right or wrong discussion. I don't care what people do, but I hate to see a time honored tradition dumped on with no good reason in the Traditional Muzzleloading Forum. That is the only reason I was ever in the discussion to start with.

flinch said:
We had a muzzleloader shoot a couple years ago, a friend shooting a cap lock had a missfire and as soon as the cap went off, blew down the barrel, evidently to see if the gun was loaded.

This story speaks for itself. These things happen.

I hope someone told him about using a mark on his ramrod in the future?

roundball said:
Lets say blowers should continue blowing down barrels to their hearts content.

Let's say non-blowers should continue not to blow down barrels.

And I bet big money that the earth will still turn on its axis and the sun will still rise in the East...there are far bigger problems in the world than trying to get everybody to agree with whether or not people should blow down the muzzle of a rifle in a shooting environment.

:thumbsup:

Well said, Roundball! :hatsoff:

My intention is not too try and change peoples traditions or the way they teach their kids, my biggest concern is kids at shows that arn`t being instructed but are just bystanders and may make a poor judgement.
I`m not saying you were replying about me i just want too be clear that safety was my biggest concern. :v

I must admit that this last Wednesday I did revert back to blowing down the barrel of my favorite flintlock as I was loading from the pouch and plinking at the gongs.

I'm kind of torn between not wanting my young son to pick up this habit, but I would rather he would find his own way over the issue when the time comes when he shoots without supervision.

As for myself, on readdressing this issue I just can't say that I see anything wrong with it as it does let you know that the vent is open, and I feel better knowing that there is no hidden embers waiting to ignite when reloading from the pouch in which case I have never swabbed between shots using this method.

I think the one key issue is that yes, someone was killed blowing down 'a' barrel... The fact is, he was not blowing down the barrel of that rifle in which he fired. His wife fired it, or rather attempted to fire it. The man that was killed should 'not' have blown down someone elses barrel, and I think this is at the heart of the issue.

You do know when your rifle goes off. If you don't I think I would feel really uncomfortable shooting with a person who does not recognize when their rifle goes off. To me this is much worse then blowing down or trying to blow down your barrel, not knowing if your rifle went off after the trigger is pulled.

Remember now, the fellow killed blew down someone elses barrel, not 'his' barrel... Had he been the one that had the misfire and not his wife, I'm guessing he would have known the rifle misfired.

My conclussion is that you are safe blowing down your barrel, but you are at risk blowing down someone elses barrel...

Just my added two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back