• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blank to this in 4 days

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is a stock I'm going to use for a 32 Cal flintlock I am building for my grandson.
This was a blank I picked up at Dunlaps . It has very dense curl and will look very nice when done in AF then toped off with serveral coats of Tru-Oil. The scrap piece ,(from the same stock)I have done with this has come out great.
This is the first gun I have built from a blank that wasn't a kit,and I can say it has been a completely different game.
For all the ones wondering what style it is going to end up :hmm: it is period correct as it is a 2007 model :blah:

32cal.jpg

32Calbutt.jpg

Thanks
The lock is a small siler from Chambers , and the barrel is a Douglas straight barrel 3/4 inch across the flats.
I am going to put iron furniture on it .

The boys lucky to have a grandad like you :thumbsup: :hatsoff: He should apreciate it. F.K.

Sounds like a proud Papa to me! :applause:
Really like the grain on the stock, out to make a right purdy piece! :thumbsup:

grey whiskers said:
Nice pics. :thumbsup: Curious, do you like working from a blank more than working from a pre-carved piece? GW

It was a different experience all together than from working with a precarved / kit.
There are several different things to take into consideration such as. How to drill the ramrod hole and how far to drill it missing the lock bolt, not drilling into the barrel channel and hitting the trigger. Made me about as nervous as a long tailed tomcat in a room full of rockers.
With out the exceptional book The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle laying out for a reference I would not have attempted to do it.
As for working with a blank you do have more options as to what drop, offset, lenght of pull ect than you do with a precarved kit.
Personaly I think creating one from a blank will help me all that much more with the next kit I do.
P.S. Thanks for all the compliments.

all that in 4 days huh :thumbsup: ....how long each day did ya work on it :v ...........bob

Well, I'm certainly impressed. First effort at creating a stock from a blank you say? I might have to order that book - the last advice I got on how to do it was to, "just chisel away everything that doesn't look like a stock'.

would you adopt me as your grandson????? I'll sweep the floor for you after you build my gun!

Nice work, beautiful wood. Did you hand carve or use any power tools? What about the barrel channel, did you use a router?

would you adopt me as your grandson????? I'll sweep the floor for you after you build my gun!

Nice work, beautiful wood. Did you hand carve or use any power tools? What about the barrel channel, did you use a router?

routered out part of the barrel channel and belt sanded alot of the major excess wood off but one he11 of a lot of elbow grease and rasping fileing and sanding

Chiefs50 said:
Well, I'm certainly impressed. First effort at creating a stock from a blank you say? I might have to order that book - the last advice I got on how to do it was to, "just chisel away everything that doesn't look like a stock'.
Thanks for the compliment.
Actually that is a good way of looking at it. And that is actually mentioned in the book also. Remove what doesn't look like a gun. I also looked at the pictures in the book Steel Canvas a lot. Then back to the work at hand. Then the book then back to work on the blank , approx 100 times :rotf: till I was happy with what it looked like. Thing I come to realize is that longrifles are ALL one of a kind. Doesn't matter if Issac Haines. Rupp,Dixon , Ehrig, Chambers or "John Smith" made it, they are all different.Even two guns by the same maker are different IMO.
I still have lot more sanding to do on it and a few more inlets but it is comeing along.

Can't wait to see that piece of wood stained!! :thumbsup:

Lookin good

rabbit03

I will upload the pic of the sample piece I did with AF and Birchwood Case Tru-Oil to photobucket and post it here give me a min or two

Chiefs50 said:

Chief I highly reccomend the book as well.
I did layout on a cherry blank last night.
This is my first(never built a kit) and it lays things out in a logical order I think anyone can follow. Written in simple straightforward style that does not require an engineering degree.
Great illustrations and not school specific so it allows your creative interpretaion and applies to any style you choose.

Woodhick: very nice job!

Back