• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blank Loads for the 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me start out by saying I have never shot blank loads in my .44's. But I don't think it should be all that hard to do. I would use less than a "normal" load, maybe 15 or so grains of fffg black powder with some kind of over powder wad. You could use a store bought wad or just a bit of newspaper, anything to stop the powder from falling out. Make sure whatever you use keeps the powder tight against the rear of the cylinder otherwise the preasure could get crazy high. Remember that and even a "blank" load can injure anyone you shoot at(don't aim at anyone)and keep an eye on what comes out of the barrel. it could cause a fire. Best of luck with your efforts.
nilo52 :thumbsup:

Thanks sir!

THis will be only for demonstrations and maybe a July 4th noisemaker. (I am rural)

Normal charge of powder and Cream of Wheat(not instant)to fill the chamber, ram and refill and ram again. They are loud and safe at about fifty feet, but will break ballons out to about 20 feet.

I have witnessed (but did not shoot) blank loads in C&B revolvers.

The cylinders were loaded in presses off the gun. A small charge of powder was dispensed, and the foam sheets that florists uses to hold flower arangements was laid over the front of the cylinder, and the rammer punched through it to seat it on the charge. The cylinder was not capped until it was back in the gun and ready to fire.

thats what i was thinking or how about cutting some cardboard disks from a pop carton . ive used them for grease cards in a remington .

ahhh even better! i didnt know that it would break a baloon like that tho. can you imagine the looks youd get from somebody thinking you was shooting live round if you said ...stand back now im fixin to show you how its done...then draw it and shoot from the hip BOOM!!!

I have done civil war reenacting for a bunch of years. My method is the same wether I use a .36 or .44. I fill the chambers with the same amount of BP as I would if live firing. YOu can either use a loading stand or in battery in the pistol. I fill all chambers with powder first then I load to the top of each chammber with Oatmeal flakes, then compress then reload again with oatmeal. I load with oatmeal untill the chambers are almost level. I prefer Oatmeal over the other more common fillers--COW(cream of wheat), and Florist foam. My reasons are as follows. the oatmeal flakes seem to bind together while compacting instead of just compacting as COW and foam do. I have seem several of my buddies chain fire due to loss of their fillers. I have yet to have one. They have had the fillers fall out of their chambers while in the holster. What ever your choice(experiment) Remember that you still have a killing/injury zone in front of you. Remember the couple of actors a few years ago who were killed by blank firing guns. If I remember correctly one of them was Brandon Lee, Bruce Lees' son.

u remember right.

They wanted a shot of the hammer hitting a primed round. primed round pushed a projectile into barrel. next blank round decided to push it out and into him.

bad luck. always thought the guys in the movies shoot like they don't even care about aim, and then the one time he is actually pointing in the "right direction" that happened.

John eric hexam shot himself goofing off back in the 80s I remember when it happened. It was that show Cover Up. About fashion models who are also spies. :doh: I did not say it was a good show.

I was talking with a CW Reenactor about blank loads the other day. He makes up cartridges with cigarette papers with black powder twisted up inside for his pistols. Says he can reload quickly. I haven't tried this so I can't add any more.

Many Klatch

id forgot about that but your right . wasnt there some investigation into it cause some thought a live round had been planted till another arms expert explained what youve just pointed out . while were on the subject aint that what the cowboy action people use on horse back to break ballons?

Back