• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Turkeys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
With Thanksgiving less than a week away, (11-23-03 at date of post) I was wondering if any of you black powder shooters out there have ever taken a turkey with the ol' smokepole?

I have not, but I would like to try this someday.

I could load my bess up like a shot gun and go that route, but this would be a great reason to get that .32 caliber flintlock I've been a wantin'.

What caliber do you think would be best for gobblers?

Would you choose a muzzleloading rifle or shotgun?

Musketman I would love to take a turkey with mzl loader however in michigan we can only use shotguns or bow and arrer I dont have a bp shotgun aint found one I like other than trade rifle
weasel

One of the best turkey hunters I have ever met is Zoe Caywood (Charley Caywoods wife). Recently she just compleated her 'World Slam' using smoothbore flinter. Thats all six species of turkeys on the planet. Check out Caywoods website.

Can't use rifles here in NC, but I'm going to try them with a .62cal smoothbore flintlock this spring...have a turkey load worked up using home made paper shot cups that puts 29 #6 shot in a 4" tuna can at 30yds, and 18 pellets in it at 40 yds...just need to:

A) Find the flock the morning I'm in the woods looking for it;
B) Be good enough to get one within range...no small task;

If I can do those two things, the .62cal should get it done

but this would be a great reason to get that .32 caliber flintlock I've been a wantin'.
MM:
Before you use a rifle, you might want to check your state's hunting regs. In CO we have a spring turkey season in which rifles are not allowed, and a fall season in which you can use a rifle under the following conditions:

Colorado turkey hunting regulations state that all rifles must use "bullets of at least 38 grains with a manufacturers energy rating of at least 110 ft-lbs at 100 yards from the muzzle." According to the 2nd edition of Lyman's Black Powder Handbook, the only .32 caliber setup that meets these criteria is a .310" dia. roundball with 70 grains of Pyrodex P (max load)

Since I don't shoot Pyrodex (if I can help it) I'll probably take my chances on not meeting up with an over zealous game warden. I will be trying for a head shot anyway, so the load shouldn't matter.

I have taken 2 turkeys with a ML. One with a .54 caplock, the other with a .54 Flintlock. The meat damage was not as bad as you would think if using half charges.
I do not try for a head shot on a bobbing turkey head with a flinter. When I finally get one where I want him, I want to kill him not educate him.
I am planning on building a .36 for tree rats and turkeys. The .54 is just a little too much gun and has too much unnecessary weight.

Roundball could you explain how you make your papper shot cups. I have an english fowler frpm Tip Curtis in 62 cal. at 30 yds.I don't get that many in a papper plate. thanks Rocky

Before I moved to Colorado I hunted turkeys in Iowa with a single shot 12 gauge, full choke, hand built flintlock shotgun. The load was 90 grains of FFg, 2 cardboard overpowder wads, 1 1/4 ounces of number 6 shot and a cardboard over shot wad. The shotgun patterns 14-18 hits, in the head or neck, on a turkey target at 30 yards. I took 3 gobblers over 3 years at distances of 12 to 30 yards, all one shot kills. Good luck!

Back