• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Powder Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MFP308

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok here I am on hold with the phone company.....random thoughts.
I was wondering where people store their BP. I'm new to this and was wondering if there where regulations.

More random thoughts on the way...still on hold....

Mike

I have a large steel military ammo box that is lined with the thin plywood underlayment like you put under a tile floor, about 1/4" thick. It is a .50 cal box, I will replace it with a 20mm box. The .50 cal works fine if you only want to store ten pounds, but it just isnt big enough to hold a case.

MikeF said:
"...I was wondering where people store their BP. I'm new to this and was wondering if there where regulations..."
Unless your state has imposed some override legislation, the BATF regs are:

1) Up to 50lbs blackpowder for recreational purposes may be stored in a single family dwelling without any permits / licenses, etc.

2) And without any special storage requirements...above the 50lb limit, permits and storage requirements do come into play.

I order Goex by the case and it travels over hundreds of miles, moves in and out of storeg facilities, on and off various trucks, etc...and I get home from work to find it simply sitting on the front porch in sunshine, in it's cardboard shipping box...I figure if it's good enough to go through all that in a cardboard shipping box, it's good enough to store it in the same box, sitting out of the way on the floor of a closet where I keep hunting/shooting stuff.

the couple of lbs i have at any one time sits in my range box in the detatched garage :v .............bob

After I've sifted my bulk, I store it in 1.5 litre clear plastic booze bottles, settled & filled to the top, then sealed with electrical tape and stored in the deep freeze.

No moisture in the deep freeze, and it's nigh fireproof.

Let it fully warm up to room temp before unsealing and there should be no moisture problems since it was packaged at 35% Ambient Humidity at 60deg F.

Best/most safe place I could think of to keep my 45lbs of back stock since I live in a condo...

I have a regulation box that was sprung on us out of nowhere. It's being contested, it's not exactly enforceable, but I want to keep the plod friendly :winking:

box.jpg

I store mine in a fire resistant safe hidden in the back yard as far away from any structure as possible. Stuck an extra layer of sheetrock around it on all sides for more fireproofing, bolted it to the ground so it would be hard to walk off with it, covered the whole thing with an inverted plastic tub.

One thing to keep in mind, as Robin mentioned on another list, you don't want the fire department standing well back, letting your house burn to the ground, because they're expecting a stash of black powder to go up.

Thanks guys! I knew I would get the info I needed. As far as I know Arizona dosen't have tighter regs than anybody has mentioned and I doubt I will be buying more than fifty pounds at a time. By the way the phone company was no help as usual.....

Mke

Russel good point. I am building a storage area in the back, maybe I can build in a storage area there. Think 115 degrees ambient will be a problem in the summer?

Moved from the Bay Area two and a half years ago. Got tired of the crowds. Great to visit now and again.

Mike

If you have, or can find an old, used, refrigerator, or freezer unit that is small, it can make a wonderful powder storage case. Its insulated, and fire resistant. If you must, go ahead and surround it with sheet rock, for additional protection. With the refrigerator, or freezer, you will have to drill a couple of holes, to mount a hasp and lock plate, but then you can put a good lock on the door to keep out the curious. If you dig a hole in the ground for this, you get the benefit of the ground making any explosion go up, and not OUT, for far less damage in the event of an accidental ignition. But do remember to provide drainage for water under the bed so that you don't drown your powder. Remember, that the cans this powder is shipped in is sufficiently safe so as to not worry about heat, or sunlight, or adverse weather setting the powder off. We had a posting here some months ago where a video shows conclusively that static electricity will not set off black powder, so that is not a concern. Just keep it dry and cool, and you should be okay.

You might talk to a local sporting goods store that would like to sell Black Powder, but can't have it on the premises because of restrictions on how close it can be stored to residential dwellings. The owner might be interested in sharing a powder magazine, or bunker that you put on your land, where he can also store powder. He might even help with the expense in building a very adequate bunker on your property and that would take care of all the problems.

barebackjack said:
Keep mine in a 10 gallon rubbermaid container in the closet.

Very good method, one does not want to contain it. IMHO, too many people lock their BP up in a sealed steel container, which is AKA a bomb, with flying shrapnel if it should ever ignite.

:v Go to the links provided on this site and look for the Maine Powder House---they sell a standard powder magazine that is built correctly, for storage of powder---you may have to call and ask for their latest prices and availability. :thumbsup:

Wow more great ideas. Unfortunately the only land I own is 1/4 acre lot with a small house on it. The neighbors might be concerned with a powder magazine. Interesting conversation piece though.

The idea of schrapnel is a bit spooky so I will be keeping the amount down to a minimum for now. The less contained the powder is the less explosive power it will have.

I will check out the Main Powder House and see what that is all about.

Thanks again.

Mike

Squire Robin said:
I have a regulation box that was sprung on us out of nowhere. It's being contested, it's not exactly enforceable, but I want to keep the plod friendly :winking:

box.jpg

So Squire Robin, Unhh is that piece that the box is sitting on the one you use for Quail? :rotf:

Scott

Seems I read that the temperature inside a car with the windows rolled up, sitting in the Arizona summer sun gets up to about 165 degrees F.

Hot enough to make a person want a ice cold beer, but not hot enough to damage Black Powder.

zonie :)

I use an old upright freezer. It works well as it's insulated & has a built in keyed lock to keep the kids out, but would not be locked so tight as to prevent it from opening in the event of an explosion. It'll easily hold 50lbs of powder, though I've never kept that much at one time as I usually buy my Goex by the mixed case.

WRussell said:
One thing to keep in mind, as Robin mentioned on another list, you don't want the fire department standing well back, letting your house burn to the ground, because they're expecting a stash of black powder to go up.

Propane tanks and gasoline (petrol or benzin) in 5 gal. Jerry cans go pop too. A bleve (AKA blevy) from superheated contained gasoline is a thing to behold, best observed from a considerable distance.

Back