• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder or Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I will say this one more time and then done.

Buy real black powder by the case (I bought two cases last time) and you can forget this silly nonsense. Black powder muzzleloading guns are meant for......wait for it......black powder!

I have never shot, in what, 50 years, any BP substitute or owned any.

I bought two cases of primers back many years ago and since I almost never shoot my one percussion rifle and only use them in the occasional shotgun (use flintlock smoothbores) they should last me the rest of my life.

I bought flints in bulk several years back as well but will occasionally pick up a couple more at shows etc. if I like the shape and the price is right.

If you are serious about this sport the price of the components is the cost of admission, bite the bullet and then you will not have to keep crying about you can not find this or that and the price went up.
I have never ever shot a Flintlock rifle. I have shot only percussion rifles. I also have used Pyrodex exclusively for many years starting in the eighties. I wanted to hunt Black powder season and that was the only reason I bought a M.L.R. to start with. I can tell by your rhetoric you are one of those people that do revolutionary war acting or what ever you call it. I do think you are doing a disservive by putting down other powders that you don't like. It is a lot less costly and you don;t give up anything by using synthetic powders.

Gentlemen,
a big thank you to everyone who replied to my query! The main thing I learned, confirming my suspicions, is that Pyrodex is unreliable and unstable. How else can completely different results be explained? A number of you said it shoots fine, stores well, no problems. But many others tell me it’s not real accurate, very difficult to clean, looses strength and needs hot caps and special nipples to get it to fire reliably. Several responders said it’s extremely difficult to clean, others said it cleans easier than black powder.

So, I guess I’ll order some black powder from Graf, biting the bullet on cost. Whitetail bucks are tough enough to get a shot at, I don’t want to handicap myself with a propellant that may or may not fire, or if it does may not shoot accurately, or May foul my gun so bad I have to spend hours in camp cleaning it in the evenings. Neither will I need to buy different caps or special nipples. I’ve just not heard enough good comments to give me confidence enough to use Pyrodex on a hunt. Maybe on the range, but not on a hunt. Just the same, i do sincerely thank every one of you who took the time to type out a reply to me. I learned what I needed to know.

Gentlemen,
a big thank you to everyone who replied to my query! The main thing I learned, confirming my suspicions, is that Pyrodex is unreliable and unstable. How else can completely different results be explained? A number of you said it shoots fine, stores well, no problems. But many others tell me it’s not real accurate, very difficult to clean, looses strength and needs hot caps and special nipples to get it to fire reliably. Several responders said it’s extremely difficult to clean, others said it cleans easier than black powder.

So, I guess I’ll order some black powder from Graf, biting the bullet on cost. Whitetail bucks are tough enough to get a shot at, I don’t want to handicap myself with a propellant that may or may not fire, or if it does may not shoot accurately, or May foul my gun so bad I have to spend hours in camp cleaning it in the evenings. Neither will I need to buy different caps or special nipples. I’ve just not heard enough good comments to give me confidence enough to use Pyrodex on a hunt. Maybe on the range, but not on a hunt. Just the same, i do sincerely thank every one of you who took the time to type out a reply to me. I learned what I needed to know.
I used pyrodex once shot 5 foot groups at 15 yards. fouled my 50 cal rifle so bad after 2 shots I had to use a .454 ball and that was only good for 3 shots. also it took 3 years to clean the rifle 3 hours a day. switched to BP shoot one hole groups at 400 yards off a galloping horse. never have to clean the rifle and then only after 3500 shots :horseback:

I live in WI and feel your pain finding black powder locally. I buy BP online.

I used Pyrodex in a percussion rifle and it was very accurate. However, I found it to be highly corrosive, requiring more effort than black powder to remove residual fouling. For this reason, I quit using it 30 years ago.

I've had good results with Pyrodex, as long as ignition is positive. " Re- enactor" musket cap were not relaible with it, but good strong honest caps were fine in my Whitworth. No. 10 or 11 caps were fine in my 1860. Pyrodex fouling seems to soften easier than black (using greased felt wads and card wads in all my rifle loads). Recoil may feel duller with Pyrodex, since its early pressure curve may be a little less steep than for black. Cleanup was about equal, using Murphy's followed up by Ballistol. The tradional water cleaning also worked for me. Pyrodex is not so gravel-dense nor hard-grained as black, so measuring out consistent charges for acciracy isn't as "automatic" compared black. May take a bit more technique shake-settling powder flasks, pouring, etc. to keep consistent charges.

The main thing I learned, confirming my suspicions, is that Pyrodex is unreliable and unstable. How else can completely different results be explained? A number of you said it shoots fine, stores well, no problems. But many others tell me it’s not real accurate, very difficult to clean, looses strength and needs hot caps and special nipples to get it to fire reliably. Several responders said it’s extremely difficult to clean, others said it cleans easier than black powder.

If that seriously ls your your takeaway then you are missing the reality.

I had a half container of pyrodex on the shelf for over 20 years and it worked just fine. I've shot it on target and over chronograph goex 2f and Pyrodex RS. Accuracy equal and velocity too close to matter. It is, in fact, the most economical propellant available. There are 30% more shots by equal volume compared to goex.

I get the impression that you are not a frequent shooter so jumping through the BP hoops might not be worth it to you so pyrodex is a good solution.

I used pyrodex once shot 5 foot groups at 15 yards. fouled my 50 cal rifle so bad after 2 shots I had to use a .454 ball and that was only good for 3 shots. also it took 3 years to clean the rifle 3 hours a day. switched to BP shoot one hole groups at 400 yards off a galloping horse. never have to clean the rifle and then only after 3500 shots :horseback:
Wonderful experience the only thing you got wrong was when you shot the one hole group you forgot to mention that you were standing on the horses back, had the hiccups and you were blindfolded. I am sure you could have done better if you hadn't been using a mirror and shooting behind your back as well? LOL!

Wonderful experience the only thing you got wrong was when you shot the one hole group you forgot to mention that you were standing on the horses back, had the hiccups and you were blindfolded. I am sure you could have done better if you hadn't been using a mirror and shooting behind your back as well? LOL!
ahahah it is good when a guy appreciates humor and then adds to it

Hello All,
I‘ve learned black powder is unavailable here in the Green Bay Area of Wisconsin. Retailers only carry Pyrodex and a few have Triple 7. I have less than 1/2 lb. of Goex powder left and was hoping to buy a can for deer season. I do have a pound of unopened Pyrodex that was given to me, but I’ve never shot the stuff. If I resort to using it, what recommendations does anyone have that I should keep in mind? I’ve heard rumors about accuracy. Thanks for any help you can give.
The GOEX guys are back in business, so I hope you can get some real black powder soon! Good luck!

Okay, I will say this one more time and then done.

Buy real black powder by the case (I bought two cases last time) and you can forget this silly nonsense. Black powder muzzleloading guns are meant for......wait for it......black powder!

I have never shot, in what, 50 years, any BP substitute or owned any.

I bought two cases of primers back many years ago and since I almost never shoot my one percussion rifle and only use them in the occasional shotgun (use flintlock smoothbores) they should last me the rest of my life.

I bought flints in bulk several years back as well but will occasionally pick up a couple more at shows etc. if I like the shape and the price is right.

If you are serious about this sport the price of the components is the cost of admission, bite the bullet and then you will not have to keep crying about you can not find this or that and the price went up.

We got it quite clearly the first time, no need to repeat. You exactly zero experience with substitutes and yet demand everyone use only black powder. You insist that a man who burns two ounces of propellant a year needs to purchase by the multiple case lot. Brilliant logic.

Gentlemen,

That Pyrodex will work just fine. If it was all the bad things said about it, it wouldn't still be made or so readily available nearly everywhere BP supplies are sold. Even with the hassle real BP can be to retailers they would carry it if it's all customers would buy.
If you look at most of the legitimate posts. It's not exclusive but most that had trouble were in high humidity areas and those that didn't were in drier areas. Like I said in my previous post. My solution was to vac seal it for long term storage, even break up the lb into increments I know I'd use up within a year once opened. Once opened a lb will stay good for a couple years so long as the container is kept sealed up. I start noticing accuracy issues after a while but that was like 3 or 4 years on an open can.

I am now in a more favorable financial situation than I have ever been, having put my children through Christian School, and finished paying for college educations, and all the other expenses of raising a family. I am also very fortunate in that I live close to a business that sells black powder, thus avoiding shipping and hazmat fees. For many, myself included, the cost of buying cases of powder, and then the added burden of shipping and hazmat fees is prohibitive. It is possible to enjoy an activity, while at the same time not being able to do it to the level of someone else. Many of my guns I received as gifts, others I bought a very long time ago when they were relatively cheap. Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken, $400 (currently $1999), SXS shotguns that I paid $239 a piece for, $99 steel Colt Navies, etc. I also have more percussion caps then I will ever shoot, having accumulated them for four plus decades, buying them very cheaply (as little as $.59 a tin) at end of season clearance sales.

At today's prices, I would never be able to replace the stuff I have. Some folks never had these opportunities to buy stuff cheap, as they either were born too late, or simply had more important obligations. If you have been successful enough in life to be able to buy custom rifles and throw down $700+ for a case of black powder, I am happy for your prosperity. Not everyone can do it, some have to buy cheaper mass produced guns, and most have to buy a pound or two of powder at a time. That does not mean that a person is less enthusiastic or dedicated to muzzleloading sports, they just are required to live within certain parameters. As to the original post, I will reiterate again, I have used Pyrodex successfully for 46 years, I have NEVER had a failure to fire (or even a hangfire) when the cap ignited. However, if you decide to use real black, that is your decision based upon what works best for you. I wish you good success in your hunt.

Latest posts

Back