• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder bear questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read once long ago that of all large game in N. America, the black bear “gives up the ghost” the quickest. This has been my experience as well.
Walk

Both of the black bears that I've shot died very close to where they were shot. One bawled a bit first but didn't run far.

Moose seem pretty much the same. The three that I witnessed just ran a few steps and stood until they fell over dead.

I've been bear hunting and I use a predator call having called any bears in yet but had a coyote he was huge when I saw him he was 5 steps away from me you talk about excitement it was great and a little scary. And I now have a 3re dragoon 44 to use as my back up after I plug him with that 50 cal first .

Thank you for all your advice and experience. Now I just need to convince my partner to go ahead and buy his ticket to Spokane, in the midst of all this dumb virus scare.
Another question, anyone know a source to pick up powder between Spokane and Western Montana?

Thank you for all your advice and experience. Now I just need to convince my partner to go ahead and buy his ticket to Spokane, in the midst of all this dumb virus scare.
Another question, anyone know a source to pick up powder between Spokane and Western Montana?

I mean, in the end you can always order a can (thats a big hazmat fee for just 1 can, but if it makes a hunt happen ) have it shipped to someone there, if you are staying at a motel or something.

Hey grumpa I think you'd love hunting.hey if someone wanted to go here in arkansas there's a lot of places we can go to if you don't mind a camping out with no electricity. Send me a PM if your interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Black bear hunting I don't know how it's saying black hunting dam n spell check or what you call it when you type in your word and it changes on you so sorry for that hope I didn't offend anyone

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice! First, I am taking an experienced partner with a cartridge rifle, I also know I can run faster than him. I will plan on good ol' 1911 on my side just in case and a can of spray on the other side. Only success with calling for me is for coyotes. I am planning on glassing per advice given but thought calling might work once in a little closer, from a good vantage point of course. Will be in early May in Kootenai NF, lots of up and down. Also wondered if it's true that the
"bad" grizzlies from Yellowstone and Glacier get relocated to Cabinet Wilderness there?
i grew up in the koot and the grizz are not friendly

Back