• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black is the best!!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
What a bunch of :bull: !

Just finished sighting in my Tenn. rifle at 100 yards. The last 100 yard group i had was 2 1/2" with Pyrodex RS.

Since then i got some goex 2f as everyone tries to pawn off, real black powder is the best!

I though so to at 50 and 60 yards when the bullets were touching and egging out the holes.

My Rifle fouls up so much now with just a 90gr 2f goex charge that i have to swab between shots in order to get any kind of consistency at 100 yards!

Clean bore = dead on @ 100 yards. Fouled bore = 8" high and a 6" spread!

Going back to Pyrodex. I could shoot 12-15 shots before it was time to call it quits before i had the bullseye shot out.

Its worse than Pyrodex! The fouling is horrible to push through. If i had been using a patched ball, one shot and i'd been a target for any injun out there in those woods.

Swabbing between shots is completely unacceptable.

Although my .54 Tennessee rifle shoots accurately with 2f or 3f Goex, I get a lot less crud build-up with the 3f.

If i had been using a patched ball
That explains it. Most of us predominantly shoot patched round balls. The lubed patch tends to wipe most of the fouling down the bore when it is rammed home. A conical does not seem to accomplish this as well. Hence, the fact that Pyrodex does not foul as badly as Black may indeed make it a better choice for your ammunition and shooting method. To be honest, I used Pyrodex when I started shooting and had no problems with it. The real thing just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I know from experience. This one fouls up after 2 shots with a patched ball and then i have to use my range rod and help work it down the bore to seat it.

Pyrodex has just been a heck of a lot better for me in this rifle.

Im giving the gun a complete scrub down and just finished using the birchwood casey lead remover and polishing cloth in the bore, so not its completely free of lead/carbon, we'll see how it does later this evening in cooler weather.

Kentuckywindage said:
Its worse than Pyrodex! The fouling is horrible to push through. If i had been using a patched ball, one shot and i'd been a target for any injun out there in those woods.

That has not been my experience since I found a suitable ball/patch/lube combination. I shoot 12 or 15 round without doing anything but pouring a measure of powder and pushing a greased patched ball through the block. And that's with the hickory rammer that rides in the thimbles and without putting my palm over the tip of the rod at any time.

I'd have lost interest long ago if it was more work than fun.

But even so; one hole at 100 yards? Not this puppy. Even when I had the clear eyesight of a 25 year old I'd have had to sit down at a benchrest if I wanted less than 6" groups. Carrying a table and chair around is even worse than needing to wipe between shots IMHO.

Now you ought also might want to try a smooth flintlock with paper cartridges if you just want to have fun and move lead downrange. I shot 30 in one session earlier this year without pause to wipe even the pan or frizzen, let alone the bore.

had a 54 smoothie. sold it long ago.

I'll fix this with pyrodex and then we'll be set for hunting season.

Kentuckywindage said:

Swabbing between shots is completely unacceptable.

It's not the powder, it's your load combination...

I can shoot 10-15 or even 20 shots of PRB or conical without swabbing and I shoot 90-100 grains of Goex 2F.

Lot's of factors come into play here.

:thumbsup:

HD

Well now,
,just cause ya don't know how to use the stuff don't mean it's bad.
(and I don't use alot of real BP)(why dog it?)

If'n ya want everything nice-n-purty, handed to ya on a silver plater,,
,why don't ya just shoot them suppository guns?

you been skwaukin about usein subs fer years, every time they come out with a new sub you jump on the bandwagon, and post another picture.

I still get a kick out of the one with a traditional ML gun straped in a Lead Sled with the 75 yard group,, :haha:

I tend to have to agree :v I shoot Triple7 ffg and would put me and my guns constistency against a true BP guy and his gun all day :wink: I understand its a matter of period, etc but if any mountain man were to go up the rivers today and he had his choice what would it be...given the shelf life of Triple7 or the ease of cleaning either Triple7 or Pyrodex? I understand its a moot point but lets get real and not slay us guys who have dove into other endeavors :bow:

I shoot T7 and Swiss almost exclusively in all my guns Mr.mnbear hunter,
I know the merits and faults of many powders through extensive experiance and pratice. I shoot the current Rendezvous circuit in Minnesota and have been present too shoot and RO local Territorial NMLRA sanctioned shoots.

There is no need at all for a thread that demoralizes, in my opinion, any of the powders or replicants.
Some of the replicants are designed exclusivley for the new ml's but to speak poorly of true BP is an absolute sign of inexperiance or ignorance of it's use.

Wanna shoot some time?? I'll show ya how to use a patch an lube first hand, and it ain't got nuthin to do with how much mink oil to smear on a .015

If its a percussion (I didn't see anywhere it said), give triple 7 a try. You only want the ball to kiss the powder, no compression. The cleanup is a dream compared to everything else. I know some folks are really down on subs, but I'm like shooting, not cleaning, so...

Kentuckywindage said:
If i had been using a patched ball, one shot and i'd been a target for any injun out there in those woods.

My, I wonder how all those guys shooting patched roundballs in the 18th century survived.

If anyone said that black powder fouls less than Pyrodex, it certainly wasn't me.

I would be the first to say that Pyrodex fouls less.

I would also be among the first to say Pyrodex often has noticeable delays before it fires. Black powder doesn't.

As you apparently are shooting bullets you have noticed the fouling from real black powder keeps you from loading easily after the first few shots.
That was also noticed by the Army back in the 1840's.
It is the reason that the hollow based undersized Minie' was created.
It loads easily in a fouled bore and the skirt expands when the gun is fired.
It's accuracy usually isn't very good but it was meant for shooting man sized targets to incapacitate them, not to make accurate 'killing' shots.

If you don't want to shoot patched roundballs where the damp patch will soften black powder fouling as it is loaded I guess your out of luck.

Back