• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black Bear with roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've attended a seminar put on by the DNR and the speaker was a Gent with 17 bear under his belt since 1966. When I asked him about the .54 prb he grinned and said "Perfect!",seems his 1st bear was takin with a .50 prb.
I tend to follow Daryls logic with the end ballistics of the long conicals also,,so thanks for the advise Gentelmen.
The PRB it will be,,,,,,,if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You make me a happy man- and I know that your experiences hunting with that ball will end with excellent results. As most bear are shot as close range, a range limitation of 120yds. probably won't be in the equation. Bears are difficult to judge, size wise, until they are right before you. Be careful, hit the spot, as You have perfect equipment for the job at hand. In comparrison with ungulates in expiration properties, Black Bear tend to follow deer quite closely, rather than anything larger like moose or elk.

I shot a black bear in Maine in 2000 with a .50 and prb. I admit mine was a small bear. I guess I got excited and stopped judging size. Anyway, the range 35-40 yards over bait, the bear went about another 35 yards and died. The round went right through and worked great. I was impressed with the solidness of the animal, tough build. IMHO, I would consider a 50 loaded with ball good at short ranges, like over bait, on bears up to 300 lbs. after that I would want a bigger gun. Experience may cause me to change my mind, but I doubt I'll ever kill enough bears to become an expert.

Growing up in northern maine in a guiding family. I have had the chance to harvest numerous black bear (12). With everything from a jeep to a flintlock. I agree that bear at least in Maine tend to be about as tough as a deer. Most shots in this part of the country tend to be short 50 yds or less especially in the north. Conifers tend to be very thick. Most hunting is done over bait. .50 caliber loaded with more than 70 grs. Im sure is more than sufficient for bear. But like all methods it depends on shot placment. If you lung him he will run but not far. Bear tend to bolt when shot. My grandad had a trick he used to put a 55 gallon drum on its side and chain it to a tree. He would put the bait in the back of the drum. When the bear came into the bait and stuck his head in and stretched out his paw to scrape up some bait. The bear would expose his vitals just behind his front leg. This is when he would take his shot and the bear could not see him move. when bear bolt they usually go in the direction they are pointing when they are shot and fast. Which is right into the barrel. By the time the bear figures how to get out he has started to bleed and even if he does run he will be easier to track. Sorry to ramble on. :yakyak:

Latest posts

Back