• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bison powderhorn with silver fittings.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfkt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've just finished a bison powderhorn with sterling silver filligree fittings. I've done all the silver work from scrach from silver wire and sheet metal. Thought you migth like to see it.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Ferdighorn005.jpg

Ferdighorn011.jpg

Ferdighorn025.jpg

Bisonhorn7019.jpg

Ferdighorn016.jpg

Ferdighorn015.jpg

Ferdighorn017.jpg

Oh my.....what a work of art that is. I would be afraid to take it out of the house shooting or hunting.

That horn and work is gorgeous.

OUTSTANDING!!!,Sir. I can't quite find the keys on the keyboard to describe your craftsmanship. I myself work with silver, but have not reached this level. :bow: :bow: :bow: Stunning just stunning!!

YOU are too modest! That buttcap(plug) is also a work of art! Very nice piece, that belongs is someone's collection, but should never see a granule of BP pass its throat. If you can afford to, you should keep that piece as a display item when you go to gun shows, so that people can see how exquisite the work is, and can be on their gun or horn.

Most of these " fancies" get sold, because the horner is like the rest of us, and can't afford to keep with all the bills that run up while he is making something like this.

I bet even Tiffany's in New York City would love to put that on display! There are Arab Shieks that collect guns and related items who would pay huge dollars to have such a piece in their collections.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I did a build-along for this powerhorn thats posted in Accoutrements on ALR(americanlongrifles) bord
Bison powderhorn part 4 shows the carving.
Bison powderhorn part 5 shows in detail how the silverwork is done.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Rolf,..Very pretty!...The uniformity of the silver banding almost resembles the annealed roll pressed banding some Silversmith suppliers sell for jewelry and gobblets!....That was alot of hard, medium and soft silver soldering work! :thumbsup:

Thanks, all the silver work totals about 650 parts that are soldered together. Everything is done with nr.2(medium)jewelery grad silver solder. Other grads are seldom nessessary. It's just a question of guiding where the heat goes.

Best regards

Rolf

Nice work Rolf! That is one beautiful horn. I looked at your posts on the other forum when you were working on it, and this has turned out really well. :thumbsup:
Scott

:shocked2: D@%m!! To sorta quote my friend Soggy, " I'm just gonna go and throw my horns in the furnace now!" What paul said! That is one stunning powderhorn! :thumbsup:

If you do that with just a buffalo horn, I can only imagine what you could do with the whole buffalo.

I have never seen it's equal.

:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: ...........WOW !!!!! wait I'll be right back, gotta go throw some more of my horns in the dumpster (can't use the furnace 'cause Stumbling Wolf said he was going to be using that :grin: )
That's a BEAUTIFUL horn..................
Soggy

soggy said:
:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: ...........WOW !!!!! wait I'll be right back, gotta go throw some more of my horns in the dumpster (can't use the furnace 'cause Stumbling Wolf said he was going to be using that Soggy

Hope Stumbling Wolf takes the powder out first... :wink: :grin:

Back