• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Biggest Movie/TV ML Gaffs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How 'bout Bonanza? It was supposed to take place around the time of the Civil War and just after (1870-ish?) and they all carried Peacemakers, '73 and onward Winchesters, etc. Not to mention the general feel of the series. If it had been set in the 1880s it would all have been a bit more palatable. I still love that show, but sheesh! :haha:

Speaking of Star Trek, I loved the "Gorn" episode where Kirk makes his own BP and shoots diamonds out of his homemade bamboo ML cannon. :bow: :grin:

Ride%2BWith%2Bthe%2BDevil.jpg

Jake Rodell in the breakfast scene at 'Lawrence".....doesn't look like a spiller to me! :hmm:

OK well in the first place, I don't think you can use Star Trek: The Squire of Gothos as an example, as the "squire" it was discovered was a very young example of his species, and screwed up a lot of his interaction with the humans throughout the episode due to his poor observations of Earth..., so his character had the wrong pistols.., probably because the squire intercepted the broadcast signal from a badly made 20th century documentary...,
:haha:

Mel Gibson movies are always rife with "continuity" screw-ups. I understand (from conversations with folks who were extras) that the director of The Patriot wanted the "swamp-ambush scene" to begin with the rebels standing up and firing with flintlocks after having been fully submerged, man, musket, and all..., a la modern Navy seals..., until he was told they wouldn't fire if that was done..., so the scene has the men hiding behind trees.

When Benjamin Martin joins the column marching to the final battle, and he is riding with his dead son's patched up flag..., first it's in his right hand, then his left, then right.

As for left-handed bess shooting..., that's the dumb-arsed film editor reversing the print. They didn't have left handed besses on the set. If you check out Last of The Mohicans, Uncas' earring switches ears when he's staring and the younger woman..., just a bad film editor is all.

Check out Braveheart for more of such. Gibson charges the field, first with his two-handed claymore, which he draws, then he's carrying a war hammer, then the sword, then the hammer.

The other problem is the so called "experts" that are hired. Many of which are good in a very tight historic area... but they get known and they make their living at it, so do other time periods and fail miserably.

NOW watch The Wind and The Lion with Brian Keith, Sean Connery, and Candice Bergman..., and the Marines attack the city of Fez using .30-40 Krags and external hammer pump shotguns...., Connery uses a British Enfield rifle! Somebody had some attention to detail in that movie.

LD

LD,

I know that the infamous LH 'Bess muskets were a result of the editing, as was the loading sequence of the pastor in Gabriel's final fight.....glad they decided to not go with the rizing out of the water stunt.....as I said earlier, this is one of my favorite movies...my 4 year old's middle name is "Gabriel", named for the character! Just wish they'd have paid attention during the editing......you're right on the Wind and the Lion, it is very accurate!

Musketeer Von Blunderbuss said:
How 'bout Bonanza? It was supposed to take place around the time of the Civil War and just after (1870-ish?) and they all carried Peacemakers, '73 and onward Winchesters, etc. Not to mention the general feel of the series. If it had been set in the 1880s it would all have been a bit more palatable. I still love that show, but sheesh! :haha:

In the early episodes they carried cartridge conversions and "Henry" rifles, except that the Henrys were actually Winchesters with the fore end removed.

Also in Bonanza they never had cartridge loops on their belts because it was supposed to be before the civil war.

It's one of my favorite movies and mostly very accurate with its firearms, but the early scenes of Josey Wales seem to show him practicing his shooting with a cartridge conversion revolver after his family was killed before or during the Civil War.

Just got my July "Field and Stream".They have an article on "State Guns".For Colorado they show one of those iconic Jeremiah Johnson photos.In this nice clear photo you can clearly see Jeremiah leaning on his rifle that is at full cock! :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to begin? So many gaffes, so little time. Most recent that I've seen -- "Man from the Alamo" and all the weapons are post Civil War. :doh:

If there were 200 French and Indians attacking they DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO RELOAD, DUH! Had to keep shooting; they could reload later. :rotf:

:hatsoff: ANother note about "Northwest Passage" is it is about Roger's Rangers which are a british group who would have used Brown Bess but in the movie they are all using French Charretvilles. The guy was right about Kevin Costner using a Henry 44 to down a buffalo--I read a article where a expert said to kill a buffalo with a Henry 44 you would have to stick the barrel of the rifle 10 inch down the buffalo's ear. I thought is was wierd and stupid on Top Shot where they didnot patch the ball. Of course, I would have given the pretty boy stood up there for 5 minutes trying to shoot a pistolon half cock. I wouild be yelling, "what you doing, posing for a picture", "are yopu waiting for the sun to heat up the barrel to set the powder off", or his new nick name would either be "half-cock" or "no-cock". It is not a gun gaffe but a scene gaff, but in "Last of the Mohican" with Daniel day Lewis when he is running after the indins up on the mountian, he comes thru a cap if the rocks and bumps it--the rock scrimmers( it is a tarp madew to look like a rock).

I'm not going put a link, but here is an auction that is on GB
Trapdoor flint lock movie gun that functions and shoots 45-70. It looks like it was made up from a Trapdoor carbine. It still has the sling attachment on the side. What a waste.
If you want to see a weird firing Winchester just watch
The Sabata spaghetti westerns. 7 shot slide clip feed brass framed Md 66 Winchester. But he only loads with 6 shots, keeps a cigar in the last slot for when he has finished off the 10 bad guys with those 6 shots. :doh:

The Parson said:
I don't remember Brian Keith being in Wayne's Alamo. :hmm:

He wasn't.
He played a much-too-old-for-the-part Crockett in a made for TV movie, Thirteen Days to Glory. For historical accuracy, the movie was at least as bad as Wayne's version and maybe even worse.
James Arness, once again too old for the part, played Bowie.

Just watched April Morning on Netflix. When Moses Cooper aka Tommy Lee Jones was loading his rifle it looked alot like my Dixie Tennesse Mountain rifle with the grease hole in the butt stock and the cleaning jag attached to the ram rod.

Back