• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big smoothbore pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pappydean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys,are there any other companies building big bore pistols besides MVTCO, Loyalist, or Pedersoli?

Hey neighbor!

Can you be a little more desriptive of what exactly are you wanting? A .58, .62, .75, or bigger? In flint I assume? as there are very few large bore percussion smoothbore pistols.

Do you want a replica of a particular gun? or just a nice hand cannon for tearing to shreds the legless, venomous critters you might encounter on a stroll in the these wooded hills? I would recommend getting something already made but in a smaller caliber, and then take a section of a modern 12 gauge barrel (can get them really cheaply).

Thread the breech and plug it. Use tenons and pins for attachment. Drill and drum it, or vent for flint and add a simple sighting system. I know I make those processes sound so simple... it does take a little bit of know-how and time to do it on your own. A machinist friend could help you. It would gratify you to no end to have a "one-of-a-kind" big bore pistol. I am looking to make a rifled .58 out of an old .45 Kentucky that I have. And also having a smoothbore .58 barrel for it depending on my mood. These kind of guns do not generally exist and you aren't usually going to find an eager buyer for yours if you decide against keeping it... but they are a hoot to shoot!

If I can help you locate a gun to modify or some parts, let me know and I'll start looking around. I have more time than good sense right now...:crackup:

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly :front:

johnsontarg.jpg

This is a Johnson Dragoon pistol marked 1855. they are not particularly rare and seem to go for between six and twelve hundred. This one was closer to six. It is in just about new condition internally
In fact- the old fire blue is on some of the lock parts and the others are as bright as the were 150 years ago.
Here:
http://www.gunpix.com/gallery/Muzzleloaders_and_Blackpowder/johnsonlock4.jpg
We had to look at several before we found one that didn't have a split in the internal stock inletting behind the lock. This one has a heavy trigger pull but shoots just fine otherwise. Interestingly enough the barrel has "Steel" written on it. It is a lot nicer looking than the un-drilled Indian one we've seen.
Caplock smoothbores are fairly rare compared to flint lock martial pistols because the former are not used in any formal competitions- There are smoothbore flintlock categories in the international competition circuit. Pedersoli makes some fine smoothbore flinters.

I have two flintlock 62 smoothbore pistols. One I got from Jackie Brown. It was around $550 with shipping,and I actually like the feel of it better than my other one. The other is a Matt Avance . It was a little more. Both are nice shooters. Matt's is finished a little nicer, but Jackie's is a hell of a lot better than I could do. Alot of people don't care for his stuff, but I also have a canoe gun from him, in the white, and it is very nice. Both could probably do a percussion if thats what you are after. Just depends if you want to spend that much. :m2c: :imo: I got mine for a backup when hunting.

I believe Northstar West make a version called the buffalo runner or something like that.

Hey Neighbor!!
Glad to meet ya! I've been lookin at the Elliot Light Dragoon,the Ketland Trade Pistol, and the Tower Sea Service pistols. Haven't the time right now to "build",maybe late next winter. Something between .60 and .69 cal. :hmm: These are in my buget range right now. Thanks for all the info.

mec,
Thats a great gun and a real shooter too! There's nothing like an orginal! :imo: I'll check out the site and see what they have. :thanks:

I have two flintlock 62 smoothbore pistols. One I got from Jackie Brown. It was around $550 with shipping,and I actually like the feel of it better than my other one. The other is a Matt Avance . It was a little more. Both are nice shooters. Matt's is finished a little nicer, but Jackie's is a hell of a lot better than I could do. Alot of people don't care for his stuff, but I also have a canoe gun from him, in the white, and it is very nice. Both could probably do a percussion if thats what you are after. Just depends if you want to spend that much. :m2c: :imo: I got mine for a backup when hunting.

I was mistaken about Jackie's price. It was $450.

Hey Neighbor!!
Glad to meet ya! I've been lookin at the Elliot Light Dragoon,the Ketland Trade Pistol, and the Tower Sea Service pistols. Haven't the time right now to "build",maybe late next winter. Something between .60 and .69 cal. :hmm: These are in my buget range right now. Thanks for all the info.

I like the Tower of the ones you mentioned, but I'm partial to those. If you have the funds already set aside, then you definitely want to get an original. They hold their value and are nice pieces to own and shoot. Building does take time and like I said... generally, no one wants someone else's creations, regardless of how good the efforts.

Good luck on your looking
WV_Hillbilly

PS What part of the mountains do you hail from?

WV_ Hillbilly,

I hide out rat down in the southwestern corner in a little place call Pound,smack in the middle of the coal fields.

Where could I look to possibly find an orginial in good shooting shape? :hmm:

hey mec,
Looked at the pics on the site. Where can I find one like yours or something similar thats for sale? :hmm:

that one was dug up at a gun show. The guy looking for it -who owns it, knew what to look for and also didn't want to pay 1200 bucks but it didn't take him too much looking around to find this one for about 600. He examined several and somehow convinced people to let him look under the lock to see if the stock was cracked.

I ran into a display of them at the Dallas Market Hall show and mentioned that we had gotten one marked 1855, etc. The guy perked up and said that he had sold it to the current owner. " Y'all were going to shoot it, werent' your?" Not too much of a coincidence I guess. Small world when it comes to 19th century smooth bore martial pistols.

WV_ Hillbilly,

I hide out rat down in the southwestern corner in a little place call Pound,smack in the middle of the coal fields.

Where could I look to possibly find an orginial in good shooting shape? :hmm:

I am near Keyser, in the root of the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

I haven't been down near that part of Virginia for over 30 years or more.

If you were closer, there is an antique gun store up my way. I'll check there for you and see if there is anything that you might like. I know the owner very well and he would let me "borrow" it and take a picture or two to send if it was something you were interested in.

Will let you know more if/when I get over to the gun shop and if there is something to buy there. Hope to get there soon!

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Back