• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Pig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamu

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well it came together this morning. I built this rifle kit several years ago for the purpose of shooting pigs well it just never happen until today. I was slipping around a swamp just really taking my time keeping wind in my face. I was sneaking in on a grey squirrel and got within 20 yards settle my sights and said to my self not today old grey you get a pass I’m looking for a pig. I’ve worked several loads for this rifle to include the 125 grain maxi ball but it would just shoot okay. My PRB are really accurate so I chose accurate over weight. I took a few more steps and was in a tight cane break and I could see a pig working up ahead of me. I eased up and thought this thing is a tank. So I waited until it was quartering away and settle my sights and touched it off. Well the pig bolted but I had really good blood and the impact. Got reloaded settled down and gave it a good 30 minutes or so and started easing along the blood trail. In a 100 yards there my pig laid. My load was 35 grains of 3f a PRB and the shot was inside of 25 yards.

Attachments

• 058E8CBF-C598-4742-BC82-EFA8D681CA83.jpeg
    058E8CBF-C598-4742-BC82-EFA8D681CA83.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 203
  • E90072D9-B4EA-47B8-B489-9895BFA1EDA7.jpeg
    E90072D9-B4EA-47B8-B489-9895BFA1EDA7.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 180
I'm surprised that your load in a .36 was able to do a hog in. Very hearty congratulations. :thumb:

How did you get it back to your vehicle? Those things aren't the easiest to drag.

KOOOOL!
And I always heard that you should use a '54 or better on a big swine....
Great shooting!

Now - get back out there and find that gray .....
Hopefully that '36 will be enough to take him down.... (grin)

Congratulations!! I thought pigs required more power to put down. I'm not a pig hunter though.

Thanks for sharing, Skychief.
Skycheif I am a rookie pig hunter but I’ve killed a couple and I think it is all where you put that round ball. Here in South Carolina a season has to be in to hunt pigs. Small game season is here and you can shoot pigs with small game weapons
I'm surprised that your load in a .36 was able to do a hog in. Very hearty congratulations. :thumb:

How did you get it back to your vehicle? Those things aren't the easiest to drag.

I broke it down in the woods and packet it out. I wasn’t able to drag it 5 feet much less the 3 miles I was from the truck...

Back