• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

big bore fans?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkpowder50

40 Cal.
Reaction score
im a fan of big bore muzzleloaders and that includes shooting everything from an 8 bore to a .58 and i like heavy bullets and as heavy a load as will produce accuracy. im not recoil shy. my years of mjuzzleloading experience coupled with my size of about 240 with some muscle, and the appropriate mindset for taking recoil might have something to do with me enjoying my ml's recoil. now there ARE things i have fired that make me feel like i was in a car wreck and where prolonged use might really actually lead to eye problems or injuries from the recoil...but it aint my .58 with a 600-700 grain conical and 140 grains of powder. oh you'll know it when you shoot it, but to me thats not something that "kicks too much". but everytime i post asking a question about where to bget a heavy bullet or something about a bigger bore ml, instead of advice i get a million people denouncing anything that "kicks", large powder loads, or generally admitting that because they are unable to withstand anything more than a .50 caliber with 70 grains of powder, a prb, and a recoil pad they think that i shouldnt either. i know the difference between stout recoil and touching off something that could injure your anatomy over time by excessive recoil.RECOIL AFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY.just because a person can or cant take recoil doesnt make them lesser men , it's just not for everybody. all i get is hearing how bad it isb to enjoy your sport in your own way. are there any men out here that are big bore fans? i would enjoy swapping knowledge with anyone that likes ml's that make big holes!

I say shoot what ya want. If you can stand it I know I can :thumbsup: Im a big bore fan but I like roundballs. Big holes mean big blood loss and thats what Im after. The guns that I like to shoot have roundball twist to them. If I liked to shoot the guns with faster twist (bullet) guns then I would shoot them and not give a @$%# what anybody else thought. :hatsoff:

the biggest i got is .54 but with a good charge of fffg and a tight prb it rocks. put in a 100grs of ffg and top it off with a big heavy maxi bullet and it knocks my screws loose and a few shots will give me a headache. its strange but when shooting at deer or turkey i don't feel the kick. long time ago on tv the mississippi game and fish had a show that came on that started off showing a old guy shooting a side by side at a deer and it rolled him backwards.

Sounds like you and Mr. Forsyth are kindred spirits...he advocated a minimum caliber of .69 and usually carried an 8 bore or a 4 bore rifle.

Why not ask to start a new category, and You be the moderator? Call it Shoulder Cannons or something of that nature?

:idunno:

I confess I would one day like to have a 1.00 caliber wall gun, and an 8 bore Forsyth rifled rifle.

LD

I prefer 'Whompability' from good size bores and my favorite deer rifle has been the .58cal for several years now, followed closely by the .62cal. I only use round balls in them with 110-120grns Goex 2F, as the biggest game I hunt is Whitetail deer.

I like to use a different rifle every year. For NJ's six day
Shotgun(or muzzleloader) I took a six pointer with my .72 flinter. 30" barrel, Moody made Forsythe rifling. It weighs a ton
so recoil from 150 gr of 2F and a patched .710 ball is not a problem. Right now, the permit muzzleloader season is on and I'm using an original .69 cal 1842 rifled musket that was cut down to carbine length. Nice woods gun. 70 gr of 2F and a 500 gr semi wadcutter Minie in a light rifle produces about the same felt recoil as the .72. I like big bores, too.

BTW, I'm 5'-5", 165 lbs.

Duane

I have 54's, a 58, a 62, and a barrel to build a 69 rifle. But recently, I started a 4 bore pistol build. Mostly for noise making, but I'd have to shoot at least a few 5 shot targets for display. I also have 12 ga, 16ga, and several 20 ga pistols

That was Paul Ott Carruth and he was shooting a muzzleloader rifle. Great opening to the show.

the worst kick comes from my 870 with a 3 1/2 inch turkey load

I tried those. HORID recoil when patterning but ya dont feel it when ya shooting the ol gobbler! Sold it and now use BP 20 ga (a cheek slapping SOB).

Will start new thread on cheek slapping so as not to highjack the post. :eek:ff

Lots of different ways to enjoy the sport, as long as it is safe there is no wrong way. We are all different, that is what keeps things interesting!

I hunt with a 72 cal musket. I use 715 rd ball and 100 gr. to hunt hog. I have no problem with recoil since the stock is shaped right.

say shoot and enjoy. I have never found BP guns to have all that much recoil. The biggest I currently have are a 62 rifle and a 12 Bore,but max loads in these really don't kick that much.

Maybe a 4 bore and 700 grain conical would change my mind about BP recoil, but like you I think this aspect of too much recoil is way over blown in BP shooting.

Like the wise man says, can't beat "Woompability" :grin:

A .54 is the largest bore rifle I currently own. It does put a wallop on deer. I once owned a .58 and liked that one, too. So yes, simply get and shoot what you have confidence in.

I like my 62s, I have several of them, I have never had a deer take a step after taking a 62 through the boiler room. I use 75 grains of 3f. all of mine have short barrels except one. all of them are sort of heavy so the recoil is not that bad. The only problem I have when pouring ball I go through a bunch of lead! But I love my big bores.

I really appreciate all of the show of support. I have a .58 navy arms rifle and was asking about hot loads and a bunch of recoil shy people derided me because they think because they can't handle the recoil nobody else should be able to. If its not a .50 with 70 grains of powder then they call it stupid or think you're trying to " be more manly" but what it really says to me is their hostility is a disguise for the way they feel about themselves for not being of sound enough mind and body to fire anything larger.They called me stupid for wanting to use a 600 grain maxi in my .58 even though TRACK and OCTOBER COUNTRY sell 600 grain maxis. I asked a question for advice and got berated by a group of closed minded people rather than advice. So I thank you for sounding off. Have a great season big bore people. I love the feel of touching of a heavy load in my kodiak , Morse, and the 8 bore even. I loathe none of them.thanks!

I agree a big hole is a better hole. And I can tell you an 8 bore with a 1350 gr conical and 275 grains of fff is still within the limits of a man who has mastered his mind and done a little upper body workout or has meat on his bones. Now you're right, repeatedly firing a 4 bore with 500 GRS and a 2000 grain conical may cause an eye injury over time. But the recoil itself doesnt matte; the boolit is going the other way! Thanks for the response!

Or maybe you've just mastered your mind and have enough padding to take it. I posted a question about a .58 caliber and got no help, only people saying it was too much.

870 with a turkey load is stout but obviously its for you.recoil doesn't scare everyone.thanks for the response!

Back