• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Technique for Tiger Striping!?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to tiger stripe my Lyman GPR this Spring. ..any thoughts on techniques? Thought I would strip off finish and lighten the stock using bleach. ..then stain using a light color like honey blonde..then use Indian ink to draw stripes with a thin tipped art brush...and finish using hand rubbed linspeed oil!

If India ink is used for the striping, it's best to seal the wood first otherwise the wood will act like a blotter and the ink will spread into wide stripes.

Don't think you need to bleach the stock unless the grain is ugly. Irrespective as to bleaching or not, the stain should be a medium brown color....otherwise there will be too much contrast w/ the honey blonde. Perhaps that's what you want?

Good luck.....Fred

Jack Brooks describes his technique of duplicating the way Henry Leman rifles were artificially striped on his website.

How Do You Stripe a Leman stock?

It's the next to the last item on the linked page, so go down almost to the bottom of the page.

Here are some photos of three of his rifles done this way.

IMG_2633_crop_low_res.jpg

IMG_2633_butt_stock.jpg

That is the method I've read about before and it sounds like it might be a neat way to finish a old CVA or Traditions gun or of course, a recreation of one of Henry Lemans rifles.

One thing I noticed in the link is, it is just about impossible to read because of the background the text is on.

I found that I could highlight the text and copy it using my mouse.
I then went to a new text page in my computer and using "paste", the text popped onto the page where it is much easier to read.

Having it on its own text page also allowed me to save it to my hard disk for future reference. :)

Back