• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Flintlock History Book?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, there’s this bible on flintlocks, The Flintlock: Its Origin, Development, and Use, by Torsten Lenk … just be prepared to fall asleep. Dry reading? Not as bad as Sons of a Trackless Forest, but pretty darn close

EAEB6E71-F968-48C2-BA4D-A8D5F3BD85A9.jpeg

While not a historical tome in its entirety, I am TOTALLY impressed by the information in this book!

Flintlocks - A Practical Guide for their Use and Appreciation, by Eric Bye.

30D7B4FC-625E-4EB5-8DA6-D2461BE71B6A.jpeg

Last edited:
If you aren't looking to spend almost $350 on Amazon here is the information you can give to your local librarian and they can have those books shipped in to you for low or no cost.

The age of firearms: a pictorial history
Robert Held, Nancy Jenkins
ISBN 051724666X
OCLC 7015745

The flintlock: its origin, development, and use
Torsten Lenk, J. F. Hayward
ISBN 1602390126
OCLC 77520652

Flintlocks: a practical guide to their use and appreciation
Eric A. Bye
ISBN 0977073645
OCLC 898975631

Sons of a trackless forest: the Cumberland long hunters of the eighteenth century
Mark A. Baker
OCLC 44797598

Can't speak to the other books but Eric Bye's "Flintlocks: A Practical Guide" is an excellent overview about their development and use. Not just informative but well-written. The Amazon price is high but the NMLRA site has it for 30 bucks. Worth it in my opinion. If an updated edition comes out, I'll get it as well.

Jeff

Back