• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beretta O/U problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatcon

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a used Beretta O/U and would like to know if anyone else owns one and could help me figure this thing out. When I cock either hammer both triggers appear to operate both hammers . The left trigger will fire which ever barrel is cocked and vice versa. Also when I cock both barrels at the same time either trigger fires both barrels at the same time. I bought this gun used but in good condition. I have not taken it apart yet but was wondering if anyone else knows how this is possible

I would remove the triggers, something may be bent or need adjusting. Let us know what you find.

I will tear it down in the morning and see if I can figure it out. The gun is overall in great shape. On the top rib it has an inscription about Beretta 300 yrs from 1680 to 1980 . And the wood looks like new. The locks look great ,but the barrels had a little light rust near the muzzles inside them . It was missing its ramrod and had no box or accessories . I figured it was not in a collectable state but would make a great hunter. I may take it over to Flintlocks Inc and let Mike check it out.

One of you guys/gals who owned one of the O/U Beretta's could mention which trigger fires which barrels. That could simplify figuring out what the problem is.

Journeyman:

While you have the locks off, look at the location of the sear arms.

Over the years, one or both of them may have gotten bent forward or back so the wrong trigger is contacting it?

Thanks , I will probably take it to Mike on Wed. I would need to know what it should look like in order to know what has happened to it. If it needs parts he has fabricated many parts for my guns that are over a hundred plus years old. By the way does anyone know how many of these Beretta made?

Something is bent or binding. I don't think it will be much of a fix.
A suitable carbon arrow makes a much better replacement rammer than the flimsy wooden original. Just make some suitable wooden ends and glue them in. I turned brass ones. Make fine ball shooters too!

B.

It may be as simple as moving the trigger positions as the locks are inserted so the sears trip with the correct trigger. They may both be contacting both sear arms currently.

(I don't know how to say what I mean in the correct terms. I hope you know what I'm talking about.)

IMHO you've made a nice purchase. I have owned/used one since the 1970's when they were first made.

Don't know what to say about your lock/trigger issue but the Forum has some good advice. I've not had a problem.

Perfect fit for me (5'9" 32" sleeve), light weight, both barrels shoot shot pretty much POA when sighting down rib, PRB lower barrel on POA, upper about 6" higher at 25yds.

But ... needs some TLC, especially on lower barrel (longer flash channel) because it can fill with oil, etc from previous cleaning. Some suggest using musket caps since some claim they have more output than #11. I found removing both nipples and giving each hole a fizz can shot of brake/carb cleaner, snap 2-3 caps, then load. I've not found a difference between musket & #11 caps (both nipple sizes are available from ToTW). Some also trickle some 4F in the holes, replace nipples, fire into ground to assure good ignition.

Reloading in the field is straightforward. The ramrod provided is really slender and I'm concerned about breaking it. Be carefull to grasp it near the muzzle when reloading. I tapered a fiberglass rod to fit the thimbles but it's ugly so I only use it when hunting.

Best of luck with this shotgun!

Thanks for the input , I called my smith and found out that he is familiar with this model and can probably get it going . That's the good news , the bad is that no parts are available so anything it needs will have to be fabricated if possible. I will post again after Tuesday when I go to his shop. Mike is very good and I am comfortable that if it can be fixed he is the man that can do it.

Mike fixed it in about 2 minutes. The locks had been improperly installed and the right lock had been repaired , but a part was left too long and was engaging both locks. I am not sure what the part is called but it only needed a few seconds on a sand wheel and it worked perfectly. I left the shotgun with him to have him check it out and build me a new ramrod and set it up with all the necessaries for shooting and cleaning it. I feel fortunate to have a seasoned blackpowder gunsmith who has actually been around the block a time or two . He was familiar with this specific arm and gave me a good rundown on it. He and his dad have been quite a blessing over the years helping with my many gun projects with antique arms in particular. I will post again when I pick it up and shoot it.

Back