• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belted Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Question Was the belted ball for game rifles used in the States the same has used in the UK sporting rifles.
Feltwad

I don’t think belted balls ever really caught on, over here. I believe John Palliser, an Irish sportsman and adventurer, mentioned them in his book about hunting on the northern plains. James Carnegie, Earl of Southesk, said something about shooting “skirted” bullets, but it was unclear to me whether he was referring to belted balls or hollow based bullets.

I’m assuming belted balls would be like those used with the Brunswick rifles. If I am mistaken in that regard, by all means set me straight!

So, as far as I know, belted balls, and the rifles that shot them, were brought in and used by sportsmen from abroad, but I don’t think they saw much use on this continent otherwise.

This is not a topic I know much about, though. I will look forward to reading responses from other forum members.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Question Was the belted ball for game rifles used in the States the same has used in the UK sporting rifles.
Feltwad

If you're talking historically then I'd say no, other than by a few of the celebrity hunters of the past that could afford to dabble.

First, it was pretty much the ammunition for the Brunswick rifle, which was a British rifle.

Second, because it was British, it really didn't "cross the pond" until the ACW, and then in small numbers. At that same time lever action rifles and single shot breech loaders were first appearing on the scene.

Finally, it wasn't known as a good hunting bullet, even in British circles.

The result was, that the new [belted ball] rifle was found to possess very little, if any, advantage over the polygroove ; and their respective merits remained a bone of contention till the inventions of Minié and Jacob turned everyone’s attention in a new direction…, James Forsyth The Sporting Rifle and Its Projectiles 1867

LD

Well, it seems that the belted ball for game shooting is more associated to the UK sportsmen. Enclosed are a couple of images of a rifle more associated to a park rifle in 51 cal with 3 leaf sight on a 32inch Damascus barrel and shoots a belted ball.
Feltwad

100_4620.JPG
100_4623.JPG

This western PA rifle built around 1840 by A.B. Smith incorporated the twin groove barrel for firing belted balls. It is very unique also, being just a 32 caliber small bore. I share these pictures taken when I was the proud owner of this rifle.

I include a lot more information in my post made back in December 2010. Western PA Longrifle by Abias Butler Smith

Attachments

• P1010116-1.jpg
    P1010116-1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010141-1.jpg
    P1010141-1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back