• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Belt Hooks On Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another one.....

Rick
002 (Medium).JPG

I saw a belt hook made out of light tempered spring steel, it would flex. It pinched pretty tightly against the stock, so I think it would not work out of a belt easily….

Hi John

This shows belt hooks to not being a new idea. LOL

Rick
Yes, very much so. It seems like they actually started out as the norm and then became less popular. Puffers almost always have them, which is interesting because they are massive, carried in pairs, and meant to be carried in horse holsters. This could point to them originally having a function as “holster” hook and not a “belt” hook. The two metal pistols are however relatively dainty (for the time) so I can see those as being actually meant to carry on a belt.

Belt Hook supply option if interested;
Over the years I've built a few pistols with belt hooks & have good luck
locating what I need at ML Builders Supply.

https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com/mbs3cart/agora.cgi?&product=belthook
I spoke with Ryan just yesterday about belt hooks and he said he is out, some issues with the foundry.
I was asking about one in pertaining to. Ketland Trade Pistol and Ryan said they are mostly a Sea Service pistol feature.
They sure could be handy though.

Since the hooks seem to be universally on the left side of the gun, I assume these were carried in the right hand side ofvthe shooters body? To be drawn with the left hand?

The knife or sword was your “primary” sidearm in those days since it didn’t need to be reloaded. Just as was practiced by the horse cavalry.

Since the hooks seem to be universally on the left side of the gun, I assume these were carried in the right hand side ofvthe shooters body? To be drawn with the left hand?

The knife or sword was your “primary” sidearm in those days since it didn’t need to be reloaded. Just as was practiced by the horse cavalry.
I will need to find the painting I saw it in again, but in my period of interest, footmen would carry them across the front of the belt or sash. The gun would face the shooters left, so you could draw with the right and also not interfere with any sword.

I will need to find the painting I saw it in again, but in my period of interest, footmen would carry them across the front of the belt or sash. The gun would face the shooters left, so you could draw with the right and also not interfere with any sword.
And I can see that…but every pistol I have had or handled with a belt hook just flipped and flopped around hanging outside the belt with only the hook under the belt/sash

And I can see that…but every pistol I have had or handled with a belt hook just flipped and flopped around hanging outside the belt with only the hook under the belt/sash
unfortunately, I am unable to find the painting, so there is a possibility that I am misremembering. I did find an original print that actually backs up your guess.
DCF60DA7-B2CD-4050-9654-A24F2B581BD5.jpeg

Brazosland has a very good point. When I first started using a belt hook, I thought you ran the hook between your body and belt and the pistol was on the OUTSIDE of your belt. As such, the pistol is flopping all over the place. Now a pistol without a belt hook was just tucked inside the belt. Then it hit me- AM I DOING IT WRONG? Without a belt hook a pistol just tucked into your belt could slide down and drop on the ground, so go ahead and tuck the pistol under your belt with the belt hook on the belt to prevent a tucked in the belt pistol from sliding out and dropping on the ground. The only problem, as stated, is if you are right handed you need the pistol on your side right not left.

Back