• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax: Killer Bee Attractant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've noticed quite a number of recipes and instructions calling for the use of beeswax.

I like this. I like beeswax, and would love to try out the patch lube recipes, etc.

But I have one concern: I've found that beeswax attracts QUITE a bit of attention from bees. Once a bee got into our house, and made a--well, beeline--for a candleholder we had with beeswax candles in it. Kept buzzing around the candles, hovering, investigating. Pretty clearly the bee smelled something it liked, and was not to be dissuaded until I flattened it with a flyswatter.

I think I've also seen bees take an interest in leather that I'd treated with beeswax and left outdoors to dry.

In recent years, my area has been so taken over by killer bees that it's said that just about every wild bee colony in the greater Phoenix area is of the Africanized "killer bee" variety. It's common to come across hives if one's out walking in the desert--my dad tells me of large hives on cliffs on a large urban-park mountain where he hikes; I've seen a hive in an abandoned tortoise burrow.

It occurs to me to ask: anyone ever had any untoward interest from bees, as a result of having beeswax soaked into one's leather goods, or all over one's fingers or gun, or in hole in one's rifle stock?

Might be worth thinking about.

:hmm: Can't ever remember being bothered by bees while at the range or hunting or here mixing up my brews. I also have 40 lbs of twice filtered beeswax here in blocks. Never seen a bee in the house.

now that`s a new one ...things that make you go hummmmm. so I can honestly say not happened to me ,maybe i`ll have to try that to attact honey bees to the apple trees

I'm kind of encouraged by your lack of problems. I'd never seen any problems with beeswax until the last 3 or 4 years or so. Then again, I look at where you guys live, and I think you're outside of killer bee territory. A little background: some years back, the killer bee strain began moving in to Arizona. First fatalities in the Phoenix area, as I remember, were a couple of horses. Since then, there've been a few more, some human. Those things will take up residence in a hollow masonry wall, or the wall of a house, or under the flooring of a shed, and nobody'll notice until someone gets close, steps on the flooring, or what have you, and suddenly they find they've got 100,000 angry bees (literally that many live in some hives) after them at once.

Some years after these bees moved in, the ordinary European honeybee hives got slaughtered by a bee malady called "European foul brood". The killer bees were largely unaffected, and simply multiplied to fill the niche left by the wild European bees. There are still European bees in domesticated hives, but most of the wild ones, they say, are now of the killer variety. While mass attacks and fatalities are rare, the bees are turning up in all sorts of places (since another trait of these bees is that they're a lot less picky than the old kind about where they live). My parents' house has had two separate colonies set up in different parts of their walls; my wife's parents had one on their property, as well. Costs a lot to get them killed and cleaned out.

Anyway, you see why I'm a little leery.

I can't say as I've ever experienced bees around me when I'm shooting, or lubing patches with beeswax in. I do understand your concern however.

Never had a problem here, either. But as you stated, I'm way north from you.

Maybe try a test. Drive out to a safe location that won't bother people, and stick a wad against a tree, pole or whatever. Go back by now and then and see if it's drawn anything.

I would think it would draw flies, but maybe bees get curious too.

Legion

Well, if a bee tries to go in after a lubed patch that's her problem.

Most of my shooting is done when bees are snowed in and or otherwise sticking close to the hive (I guess they don't actually hibernate). I would think the other additives take the attraction out of the wax as a bee attractant.

Though I have heard of ants being interested in the tallow in Southern Rifles that have exposed lube holes in the stock.

Well we got those bee's around here in
South Texas and do have several deaths a year from bee's in fact they killed a man last week. They are and can be a problem.
Now as to bothering you and going after bee's wax they shouldn't be a problem. It all breaks down to a bee with lots of nectar or wax would be a happy bee and not be dangerous. But if you are near a hive then you are a treat and they will attack. Could also attack if you are shooting anywhere near a hive. They don't like loud noises like lawnmowers or fast movements and vibrations.
If they do get after you get inside a car a closed building or expect to run into the wind(that slows them down) a quarter mile or more.
Best advise is if you are in killer bee territory and bee's show up it's best you leave the area quietly and at a mediam speed.
Be sure and let us know if the wax does attract bee's. I have a bee keeper friend and he says they will cleanup any spilled honey and strip and abandonded hive if given time.
Fox :hatsoff:

I shoot throughout the northeast, and use a 3rd beeswax, 3rd wonderlube and 3rd SPG bullet lube. I'll shoot over 1,000 minies per season, and am stung a dozen times per summer.

Beeswax does seem to attract bees. Skirmishes last several hours, thus perhaps if someone isn't bothered by bees, it may be that they are outside long enough to attract them. Almost everytime I'm stung, it is as a result of reaching into my cartridge box to grab a cartridge.

The bees we have in the northeast are non-africanized bees, and generally aren't confrontational. That said I'm stung at least a dozen times per season, with most of the incidents occuring at skirmishes or muzzleloading matches.When casting bullets, I keep a small ball of beeswax handy for lubricating the mold hinge, and always seem to attract bees.

If a bee lands on you or your stuff, the last thing you want to do is to blow them away with your breath.

The carbon dioxide in your breath will turn on the defense/attack mode in all bees.
It seems to be an inherited trait derived from thousands of years of having animals sticking their heads into the hive while they are searching for honey.

zonie :)

Most times I'm stung I'm reaching for a cartridge and thus never see the bee... until after I'm stung. At that point I don't try and blow them off, but either swat them or crush them. I've never had the opportunity to exhale on a bee, and wouldn't have the inclination to do so if I could.

I would love to have something to attract bees in this area (SE PA). With he demise (or near demise) of the European Honey Bee, there ain't no bees here except them horrible little Western Yellowjackets. Which I hate with a passion.

Hi; I know about Killer bees, I waas a bee inspector gor the state of michigan, we found and destroyed some suuspects but they dont like our winters, you can keep them.

I can say the last time I had some bees wax melting in the garage (2-3 months ago) I had about 4-5 bees attracted and come into the garage. With little kids around I shut the operation down. I've never had any bees just "fly in" before.

really old Bob said:
Hi; I know about Killer bees, I waas a bee inspector gor the state of michigan, we found and destroyed some suuspects but they dont like our winters, you can keep them.

We're shipping them all up to Southeastern Pennsylvania to help out Deaconjo! :grin:

Desert Rat said:
I can say the last time I had some bees wax melting in the garage (2-3 months ago) I had about 4-5 bees attracted and come into the garage. With little kids around I shut the operation down. I've never had any bees just "fly in" before.

When I was swirling melted beeswax around the inside of a gourd canteen, I had several bees stop by, attracted by the smell. But, this was pure beeswax, not a lube mix or the small amount that would be diluted rubbing it into leather.

I did have about a pound going, I think I was trying to melt it so I could pour it into smaller chunks. I just shave off what I need now.

Iron Jim Rackham said:
Most times I'm stung I'm reaching for a cartridge and thus never see the bee... until after I'm stung. At that point I don't try and blow them off, but either swat them or crush them.

:nono: :nono: :nono: According to the television documentaries on Killer Bees that I have seen, crushing the bees give off a scent that drives the swarm into a frenzied attack .

so if a killer bee lands on you'r arm should you kiss it or swat it??? :rotf: :youcrazy:

Back