• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax Concoctions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isiah1103

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some recipes of beeswax waterproofing cream for leather and to make some trekking candles. What's a good size candle to use? Are there any good ideas out their? What other good uses was it used for in the BP realm? I've got about 5 lbs. of beeswax.

Thanks guys!

The post grabbed my attention. I've got a couple thousand pounds of it right now. For leather and stock sealant, I've used the 1/3 each of beeswax, boiled linseed, and terpantine (the non-smelly kind). For candles, I use a smaller wick and make 1/2" or so candles. Maybe slightly more than a 1/2". I'd like more "beeswax recipes" also!
PS-the stock/leather sealant is put on or rubbed in (sometimes after microwaving it), then heating it in with a heat gun or set it in the sun.
PPS-I was wondering about beeswax and melted rosin (from pine trees).

If you have some empty shotgun hulls, you can make candles in them, and then cut off the tops. The brass base will hold the candle upright with a minimum of flat surface. YOu can leave the casing full length and just fold in the crimp a bit, and carry it in your pocket until you want to use it. Cut off the excess plastic, and use the plastic to get wet wood burning.

You are going to have to thin the wax with some kind of oil to use it for waterproofing leather. You want it the consistency of Bore Butter, or perhaps a little harder. Saddle soap is what I think about as a good hardness for working with any leather. Use one of those empty tims to pour your mix in and you have a great container to carry it clean on treks.

paulvallandigham said:
If you have some empty shotgun hulls, you can make candles in them, and then cut off the tops. The brass base will hold the candle upright with a minimum of flat surface. YOu can leave the casing full length and just fold in the crimp a bit, and carry it in your pocket until you want to use it. Cut off the excess plastic, and use the plastic to get wet wood burning.

Too bad paper shot shells are no longer available.

We used to slit fired paper shells and light 'em for a quick hand warmer, or for a fire starter.

I even filled some with sawdust and poured melted wax into the top. Those things would burn for a looonng time.

Ahh, the old days.

Candles about 5 or 6 inches long by about a 1/2" diameter, or a little more, work great for use in most candle lanterns, or for trekking. IF you plan to use 'em for a quick warm up, make 'em a larger diameter. Larger diameter candles last longer, so 5/8 or 3/4 diameter candles should last through several warm ups.

I use candles for warm ups by sitting on the edge of a wool blanket, to keep my behind off of the cold, wet ground, cross my legs, and using a stick of about the proper diameter, poke a hole in the soil, after removing any leaf litter. The candle is lit and placed in the hole between my legs, and the blanket pulled up around my shoulders, and wrapped around leggs and all, and sometimes over my head. Comfy on a cold day. Sometimes downright hot.

IF you cover your head, keep your face exposed enough that you don't breathe the wax vapors or CO released by the burnng candle.

Oh, and make sure you don't allow the blanket to sag into your lap. Ever see a cold woodsrunner move real fast? Let that blanket cocoon catch fire and you will move faster than you have ever thought possible. And no, I have never caught my blanket on fire. Scorched it once, but never caught it on fire.

Good luck
J.D.

I'm looking for some recipes of beeswax waterproofing cream for leather

Melt beeswax. Apply. :rotf:

Here is my cows knee - melted beeswax painted on leather (the outside).

HPIM0381.jpg

Here, on the lower left, is a pouch I use to carry pre-lubed strips of cotton - melted beeswax painted on leather (the inside).

Pouchcontents.jpg

For a finer leather waterproofing I use Montana Pitch Blend

Flint311 said:
..... For leather and stock sealant, I've used the 1/3 each of beeswax, boiled linseed, and terpantine (the non-smelly kind)......

Flint, I have no suggestions as to beeswax mixes to use on leather, I use only pure neatsfoot oil. Now, beeswax can be used on leather when properly prepared, but, for heavens sake, do not use linseed oil or turpentine on leather, even when mixed with beeswax. Linseed oil is fine, even great for stocks, but is a drying oil and WILL ruin a piece of leather. Turpentine just goes without saying - don't use it on leather either. Sorry, don't mean to rag on you, just trying to keep you (and others) from ruining your leather items.

Hey, not a problem. On another forum, years back, I heard this was an old time recipe. I tried it. This is the first I've heard it's not good for leather. Thanks for the heads up.

JD. I have not looked lately, but Federal was selling paper hulls a few years ago. I think I still have some of them. You might check the Ballistic's products site to see what they sell. I thought I saw some paper hulls there, too.

I mixed bees wax (melted) with some bear oil I bought at a local trappers show. Not sure on the ratio, but it is a little harder than shoe polish. I use empty Altoids tins. Burn the paint off with a torch and cover the hinge with foil when pouring in the mix. I use it for patch lube, leather dressing, and on the barrel of my gun. I also used a dab of it along the top edge of the stock ahead of the pan to keep any water from channeling into the pan when hunting in the rain. Lastly, this year I discovered it makes a great lip balm.

I use beeswax and olive oil for leather, patch lube, bullet lube, wood finish, mustache wax, beeswax plain as a primitive loctite on screws and for making resin glue less brittle, wood utensil preservative, oilcloth, waterproofing paper and doubtlessly other things I can't think of right now.

PS. Does anybody know when the European honey bee became widespread in North America?

shortbow said:
Does anybody know when the European honey bee became widespread in North America?

So we don't highjack this discussion, I'll point you to this...
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?fid/93/tid/216173[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good trick J.D. I've got to try that one! I'd expect you'd also have to be careful about any stray "gas deposits" in the area with a lighted candle under your blanket. :grin:

I use a mix of beeswax and pine tar. You can find the pine tar at your local farm supply they use it on horses hooves.
It makes the best wax for coating linen or artifical sinew for sewing leather you will find. Also good for waterprofing. :wink:
A little of the pine tar goes a long way. Add enough to darken the mix while the beeswax is melted, try to keep it this side of black on the color, or the pine tar makes it too sticky! One thing about it you can play with the mix till you get what you like as the final product. Just add more of one or the other.
Another use I have found is take old toilet paper rolls and cut for length at about 1"+, wrap with masking tape. Cut cotton string and boil in wax and let cool. This is your wick, punch a hole in the center through tape over bottom of the roll and tape over again. Pour in wax and take upper side of string (left longer than the top of the roll) tape to toothpick and center before wax cools. You now have a small candle. The tp roll cna be peeeled off or just left in place depending on the use. These candles can be used for light, or I have found under extremely wet conditonds they work extremly well as fire starter. They will burn long enough and hot enough to start even very wet tinder. :shocked2:

That's a great idea. Usually, for fire starters, I use the cardboard egg containers. Fill with saw dust or dryer lint and pour in melted paraffine. They just tear apart and light easily. Cheaper than using beeswax, but same idea.

Back