• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Been on the hunt for a good hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BE Wild Willy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, my eyes are 'bout crossed from searching the net to find a good hawk. There are what appear to be some very nice examples on Ebay (Craig Barr, Devin Price, Mark McCoun, etc.). Unfortunately they seem to go beyond what a po' boy can afford. I've also looked at Fort Turner, Track, and a couple others. Any suggestions on what to get? I like the idea of good hard steel that is very sharp, would use for camp, throwing, and self defense.

It's hard to beat the "New Reliable" from track.
They come dull,(saftey issue) but a file an stone puts the edge the owner wants.

We have three Fort Turner hawks and an old Dixie "Shawnee" (I think...w/o the tacks). The Fort Turner ones are excellent for just about everything. My personal favorite is the Dixie hawk. I have had that one for about thirty-five years and have done a lot of throwing.

Howdy!
Unfortunately, im not sure a critter you seek exists. If you want a hawk with a strong blade, your likely going to have to get something hand forged. All the throwing hawks I have encountered are decent for just that . . . throwing. They will sharpen up, but loose an edge fairly easily because the bit is not hard enough.
When my needs for a hawk changed to a belt axe, I found much, FAR better quality in blade strength and usibility in a hand forged axe made by old domion forge. Randy Wolfe also makes a fine axe. But, mixing in throwing with a usable hawk is not likely to get you the best of both worlds. I have resigned my throwing days for the most part, and only will keep one hawk for the purpose keeping my belt axe for scouts and excursions into the wilderness.
Hope you find what your looking for!

I know its blasphamie here but look at some of the cold steel hawks as far as a beginner hawk. I got the frontier and trail hawk because they didn't kill the pocket book. once you get the blasted black paint of and sharpen they don't look to bad. I got the Dwight C McLemore book and video and the frontier hawk was light enough that iot went thru the drills without killing my arms off yet hit with pretty good force. I have a number of hawks but this is probably the best as far as maneuverability and balance in things more than throwing. It also has a 22" haft so gives good reach and levarge. Not the best for spilting fire wood but chops pretty good also.

For throwing and general use I prefer the simple Dixie throwing hawk I bought in the early seventies. They were $19.00 back then. I have had over a dozen hawks since then some costing up to and beyound $100, But I always came back to the old standard. They are hand forged with a spring steel insert, well balanced and durable! :idunno:
I just checked their website they are $24.95 now, I think that is the best quality/ price you will find . There may be better but better would cost a lot more! :hmm:

ohio ramrod said:
For throwing and general use I prefer the simple Dixie throwing hawk I bought in the early seventies. They were $19.00 back then. I have had over a dozen hawks since then some costing up to and beyound $100, But I always came back to the old standard. They are hand forged with a spring steel insert, well balanced and durable! :idunno:
I just checked their website they are $24.95 now, I think that is the best quality/ price you will find . There may be better but better would cost a lot more! :hmm:
I agree. Getting something for $25 that will last a lifetime is a pretty good deal. I have a couple custom hawks, but they won't do anything my cheap one's won't.

Well, I just won me a fancy one($100 for a Craig Barr), at least I thought I did. My first bad Ebay experience, notified that I won, paid with PayPal, and then received a message from the seller that he had already sold it. In the process of refunding my money, but needless to say I'm a little bent. Haven't left feedback for him yet, trying to cool down first. As for buying an inexpensive one from Dixie, I'm tempted, but there's something about fine quality steel that gets me heart a pumpin'.

Bill Keeler makes a good product. He made this for me a long time ago.
http://www.beaverbill.com/main/

MyHawk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Blackhawk cast hawk that I got years ago. It stays sharp, and is a good thrower, and best I can recall wasn't too expensive. My 2 cents...

slik

I dont think Dixie's 25 dollar Hawk has any spring steel insert. Some of the more expensive ones meant for chopping do however according to the description. Just a FYI.

H & B forge still makes some of the best forged hawks in the old way for around $50.00 - I've got on that's 40+ years old and still keeps on ticking! I've got a couple of custom ones too but the H & B Forge for the price and ever day usage can't be beat....
Just got one of their medium polled camp axes and the quality is still there. For camp use a polled style generally works better than as standard head.

I have a number of C/S hawks, yes they are mass-produced and not hand-forged, but they are tough to beat for the price (plus they can take a heck of a beating). Strip the paint off of one, add some stain the haft and the customization possibilities become endless... :thumbsup:

LaBonte said:
H & B forge still makes some of the best forged hawks in the old way for around $50.00 - I've got on that's 40+ years old and still keeps on ticking! I've got a couple of custom ones too but the H & B Forge for the price and ever day usage can't be beat....
Just got one of their medium polled camp axes and the quality is still there. For camp use a polled style generally works better than as standard head.

Agree.
I have four H&B hawks. Including one I don't think they make anymore, the Mouse Hawk.
I once bought a hawk at ronny I thought was pretty good until I discovered in hard to see letters "INDIA" on it. :( I filed that off and blackened the spot. It is now a good hawk again. :wink:

Back