• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Been dragged to the Dark Side!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogo57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been shooting for almost 50 years and have carefully avoided what I always called the "Dark Side" namely muzzleloading and BP.

Unfortunately I have a son with a sense of humor and feeling that I didn't have enough projects gave me a percussion rifle kit for Christmas.

When I pointed out that right there on the front of the box it said it was a great Father/Son project he said he would do is share. I would build it and he would come by and admire it!

No one told me that giving someone a kit is a bit like giving a naked Barbie Doll and I've spent way too much on all the stuff that goes with it.

Anyway I finished the rifle; a Traditions Kentucky Rifle and managed to shoot it without blowing anything up. I did take a bit of razzing from some of my shooting buddies who I normally try to shoot 1/4 MOA groups with. They even had the Range Master give me a warning over the mike about NO RAPID FIRE!

As you can see, I'm surrounded by wise guys!

Evidently there is something in Pyrodex that's addictive because I recently found myself staring at a mint condition Colt 2nd Gen F-Series 3rd Model Dragoon. Unfortunately it somehow followed me home and resulted in more razzing from family and friends.

Anyway, I've already asked a few typically newb questions and gotten some very polite and very helpful advice and look forward to hanging around here.

Thanks for the welcome and patience!

politeness,,,helpful....lions .. tigers .. and ..bears...oh my ..welcome to the fire..ain't my fire but they let me gather wood sometimes...Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbsup: Welcome Pogo57. You ain't seen nothin yet, wait til the flintlock bug bites. They'll hitch a ride home with ya too. And Lee, you always gather such good firewood.

:hatsoff: :rotf:

Jac S. Muell

Jac...that's cause i ate a plenty of chicken comers BBQ, in between pushin the backside of ft bennin away from the sun, used to be mountanous there you know and chasin' women in Als'...Lee

welcome to the MLF.That pyro ain't nuthin' once you get hold of some real black powder, and I bet yer groups tighten up, too! :thumbsup:

Welcome! There may be hope for you but it will entail flintlocks and black powder to work their magic. Emery

I too, went from the sub MOA world to "minute of squirrel" arena. Have never been happier nor done a shooting disipline with a more interesting, diverse and friendly group of folks!

When I signed up here into Claude's brigade, I had 1 smoke pole. now my count is up to 9 and growing.

The bug is more like Lice and standard cures do not work!
Welcome! and dont be a stranger!

Welcome Pogo! :hatsoff:

That pyrodex is like a gateway drug. Just wait 'til you get a hit of the good stuff. :shake: :youcrazy: :haha:

Back