• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Bear pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re looking for the same type long barreled pistol the other guy was looking for a few days ago there’s two on gunbroker now, 50 cal, 1 flint 1 cap. They’re listed as ‘Bounty Hunters’.

45 cal is fine to make noise & smoke as that big Grizz rears up and looks down on you!
But to bring the odds more favorable, bump up the volume to 58 cal and up.
I am always amazed at the "Titles" given to these old pistols. I sure want me a
"Bear" pistol---not a squirrel or woodchuck pistol. Just kidding. What goes on here
is the marketeers selling to the Alpha males---we need the ultra magnum sounding
BP Pistol----and of course, that is what we buy.

The southern old timers would have called any long barreled small to medium caliber flint or percussion pistol a "Bear Pistol". Black bear hunting...no grizz in the south. Southern bear hunting involved the use of treeing dogs so the bear hunter would've been able to walk around the tree and pick a good shot...to the brain preferably and the bear would fall out of tree and if any fight was left in it the dogs would handle it. No need for "bear protection"....that's what the dogs are for. this is all well documented in a couple books...which I own...but can't remember the name.... also in foxfire I believe. The fella who created the Plott hounds...his last name is Plott had a long barreled percussion pistol which has a couple decent photographs in one of the books. The idea being...cane thickets and river bottom briar patches are not very conducive for handling the dogs and toting a long barreled rifle. Here's a little "bear pistol" I built last year. .32 caliber...lots of fun to shoot. Not for sale though.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 169
The southern old timers would have called any long barreled small to medium caliber flint or percussion pistol a "Bear Pistol". Black bear hunting...no grizz in the south. Southern bear hunting involved the use of treeing dogs so the bear hunter would've been able to walk around the tree and pick a good shot...to the brain preferably and the bear would fall out of tree and if any fight was left in it the dogs would handle it. No need for "bear protection"....that's what the dogs are for. this is all well documented in a couple books...which I own...but can't remember the name.... also in foxfire I believe. The fella who created the Plott hounds...his last name is Plott had a long barreled percussion pistol which has a couple decent photographs in one of the books. The idea being...cane thickets and river bottom briar patches are not very conducive for handling the dogs and toting a long barreled rifle. Here's a little "bear pistol" I built last year. .32 caliber...lots of fun to shoot. Not for sale though.
That's a nice pistol you built!

Thank you! The barrel is a 3/4" Rice rifle barrel that I cut down for it. I wasn't really wanting to build a pistol at the time but got some parts where someone had made a mess of a rifle project. I had to cut the barrel down and rebreech it so went ahead and cut it a little more for a pistol. The lock is an L&R Bailes or Small Manton...the only L&R lock I like actually... although I haven't tried em' all. I made most of the rest. I remember the T guard is made from half of one guard I heat and rebent and then welded a grip rail on. Noone makes a guard like the "cane handle" grip I wanted for it.

Thank you! The barrel is a 3/4" Rice rifle barrel that I cut down for it. I wasn't really wanting to build a pistol at the time but got some parts where someone had made a mess of a rifle project. I had to cut the barrel down and rebreech it so went ahead and cut it a little more for a pistol. The lock is an L&R Bailes or Small Manton...the only L&R lock I like actually... although I haven't tried em' all. I made most of the rest. I remember the T guard is made from half of one guard I heat and rebent and then welded a grip rail on. Noone makes a guard like the "cane handle" grip I wanted for it.
That's a fine looking 32 you have there and I bet a great shooter!

Mercy! What a pistol and outfit! Love the T-handled nipple wrench and holster/ball bag, not to mention the brass plate and underrib. Also the more 'flattened' grip; I see now what I'm doing wrong on my piece; the square drum shines too! Thank you for sharing! Could you tell us more, bbl length, bore, etc?

Back