• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel rifleing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've mentioned before on this forum that I knew an old man back in the '60's who collected and rebuilt old ML. One of the things he had in his shop was a home built rifling jig. He'd let us boys pull it some times when he was re-rifling a barrel. I never saw another til I was in my 30's and looking at one of the Foxfire series books.

If I were going to try to rifle a barrel, I'd look there for a pattern and build my own jig.

IMHO

I have the book "How To Build The Antique Rifling Machine" by Joseph A Seabolt, this book is very imformative,and someday I want to build one. The machine in this book is like some of the ones that I have seen in a recreated gunshop,and is like photos of originals. There are good,simple drawings that don't have to be deciphered by an engineer to figure them out.

quote:Originally posted by Haggis:
I never saw another til I was in my 30's and looking at one of the Foxfire series books.

If I were going to try to rifle a barrel, I'd look there for a pattern and build my own jig.

IMHO
Haggis, that was Foxfire 5. It starts on page 232 with photos of the cutters and goes on to explain how to make a rifling guide (machine). Also with simple drawings and instructions. I have the Anchor Books 1979 Edition. Pretty good stuff. The book "How to build an antique rifling machine " can be purchased from Dixie Gun Works for $5.25 plus postage.
cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my book in a collection of old "Muzzle Blasts" magazines that I bought. I looked in Dixie Gun Works catalog and they have it listed along with another one titled "Hand Rifling A M.L. Rifle Barrel At Home"

Latest posts

Back