• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bandsaw...will it work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e. I’m wondering if it would be sufficient enough to cut maple and walnut stocks

I have had so much failures with Craftsman electrical stuff in the last few years I wouldn't recommend it because of the problems with motors and saws, routers and planers. I would at least go to 14 inch for gun stock projects and at least 2 hp. I started with a 12 inch craftsman and it just wasn't big enough for stock work or most of the wood working projects I did at the time.

Thanks for the help all. You answered my question and saved me money and headache. Appreciate everyone’s input. Looks like for now I’ll have another excuse to take the boys to Nana and Pop pop’s

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

My band saw (a 35 year old Jet) is about my least used power tool in my shop with the exception os a 6" jointer. When I get a new blank (which might be $500-$700) I take it over to a buddy's house that has a $2000 2 hp rig. Apart from my dust collector, (absolutely essential) the (floor) tools I find most useful, in order are;

Drill Press (an X-Y movable axis vice is essential if you want precision)
Table Saw
6" floor mounted belt sander
Router / shaper table
thickness planer (though it isn't free standing on its' own)
band saw
scroll saw
Jointer

Thanks for the help all. You answered my question and saved me money and headache. Appreciate everyone’s input. Looks like for now I’ll have another excuse to take the boys to Nana and Pop pop’s

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
was going to suggest that. wish I lived closer to my old man

That is a very light duty saw. A 12" bandsaw has limited capabilities. I wouldn't go over $50.00 for that one. To use, make sure it is properly tuned, tensioned and has a good, sharp blade.

My dad has a nice one. I just go over there whenever I need a band saw. He lives close to the shooting range anyway.

Here's how my bandsaw usually contributes in the shop....

IMG_0777.JPG

I got a Shopsmith bandsaw module for $10 at a garage sale. I made a base and rigged an old motor. It works well. The trick for thick stock is to run the blade slow and let it do it's thing. Don't force it or try to go fast. I also have a Craftsman table top bandsaw. The motor is direct drive. IT runs too fast and uses up blades quickly. IT is ok for little stuff.

Unlike some of you guys, I use my bandsaw a good bit. Admittedly, in addition to occasionally carving out a stock blank, I also use mine for turkey calls, crankbaits, duck decoys, fish carvings, etc. etc.. Maybe the original poster should contact one of the guys who claim to never use theirs and purchase a used option. ;)

I used my cheap Craftsmen 12" bandsaw a ton for sawing out gun blanks and it works great and has done so for 40 years. Secret is to always use a sharp blade and for the thicker material I always use a fast cutting skip tooth blade.

My dad has a nice one. I just go over there whenever I need a band saw. He lives close to the shooting range anyway.

My dad has a really nice Grizzly bandsaw along with a table saw, jointer, dust collection system etc, etc. His garage basically looks like a grizzly showroom. Guess for now I’m in the same boat as you and will just have to go visit him when I need something cut. Just an hour a half drive to get there.

Lol! She gets plenty of use but that’s what she looks like when she’s ‘at her ease’. And I did finally replace an old Craftsman when this one went on sale on Black Friday last year....it’s why she’s still purty.

At least you have a nice saw right there to use on that nice piece of wood you bought from Allen whenever you feel like cutting it. I have six pieces of beautiful maple I bought from him just begging to be cut and no saw.

At least you have a nice saw right there to use on that nice piece of wood you bought from Allen whenever you feel like cutting it. I have six pieces of beautiful maple I bought from him just begging to be cut and no saw.

Ouch. The Maple I got from AL as well as a piece of Walnut I got from him are collecting dust waiting for two barrels from Burton. The .29 and a 50" .62. I'm in stasis.....

Here is a photograph of my Craftsman bandsaw. Paid $10 for it. Had to haul it home and replace the plug (the reason it didn’t work). Got untold number of saw blades with it. No fancy electronic controls. Have to change the pulley size if I want to change the speed. Could probably use new tires, less than $20 on Amazon.
1612560406703.jpeg

Ouch. The Maple I got from AL as well as a piece of Walnut I got from him are collecting dust waiting for two barrels from Burton. The .29 and a 50" .62. I'm in stasis.....

Hurry up and wait seems to be an ongoing theme with this hobby but I guess the upside to having to go to my dads to use his bandsaw is I can go out to Al’s shop, look at his current projects and pick his ear. Pretty nice perk. Well worth the hour and a half drive. Not that time with mom and dad isn’t worth it...

I just upgraded to rollers on my bandsaw (14"). It's about 40 years old now and will hack thru some pretty massive wood (4 inch walnut) with ease provided I have the right blade in it. Many of the fitting are pot metal unfortunatly but when they break which is rarely they are common cheap replacement
You are right , use the right blade for the job. You just may be surprised how well your saw does work.

Here is a photograph of my Craftsman bandsaw. Paid $10 for it. Had to haul it home and replace the plug (the reason it didn’t work). Got untold number of saw blades with it. No fancy electronic controls. Have to change the pulley size if I want to change the speed. Could probably use new tires, less than $20 on Amazon.
View attachment 62314
That saw came over on the Mayflower?

They’re lonely up on the shelf and in need of a date with a bandsaw lol.

Thanks for all the advice fellas.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Attachments

• 940CA5C8-9AEB-4E05-8E75-D82FE8B8946F.jpeg
    940CA5C8-9AEB-4E05-8E75-D82FE8B8946F.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 70
Back