• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball size and such for CVA Hawkin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudburn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just received my first BP gun -- a CVA Hawken in .54 caliber. I'm anticipating shooting it soon, but first I need to acquire the necessary supplies, such as powder, balls, and patches. Eventually, I intend to mould balls for it, cut my own patches, and make my own lube, however I want to start before I get the chance to do all that.

I've read through many posts on the forum from throughout the last year looking for information. I've learned a lot. My specific question as I purchase the needed things involves what size ball and patch works well in this gun, based upon others' experiences. Should I buy .530 balls, .535, or some of each? What patch size? Right now based upon others opinions and thoughts in other posts, I plan on using Goex fffg (I still have to buy some of this too).

Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome. The only ML I've shot was a borrowed in-line for ML season this year. It worked on 2 deer and got me excited about making more smoke with traditional-styled ML guns.

Thanks,

Darryl

I have a 54 percussion that likes a 530 ball 015 pre lubed ox yoke patches and anywhere from 90-120 grains goex 2f. it will shoot under 2 " with the 120 gr. load. I also have a 527 diam. mold its not as accurate, but loads real easy.

I would get some of each and some WalMart pillow ticking. Lube the ticking with a homemade or commercial lube, or plain 'ol Crisco. See which size ball shoots best and then buy that size mould.

Mine likes 530,pillowticking and deer tallow.80 or90 grs 2ff Goex. Killed one 100yrds with 80grs.and one with 90grs. Dilly

Thanks, ya'll!

I'll be getting supplies tomorrow, so I ought to be able to shoot the rifle this weekend. I am looking forward to it. I really appreciate your help!
:hatsoff:
I may have a few more questions before I'm actually able to shoot it, though. I've never shot PRB and I have the impression that sabots out of an unmentionable muzzleloader has some differences.

Darryl

ya, we dont do unmentionables or plastic thingys here, but feel free to ask away about prb and minnies, cloth patches and sidelock guns!

you are going to love your Hawken!
awaiting your questions and experiences!
Shoot away!

Hopefully you have a "short starter" for loading your rifle.

A lot of posts recommending ball and patch combinations take it for granted that the shooter will have to use a short starter to start the ball and patch into the muzzle but they don't mention this.

After the ball/patch are first started, ramming them down the rest of the way is fairly easy unless the bore has quite a bit of fouling in it from the last shot.

zonie :)

Well, I finally got to shoot the rifle!

I purchased supplies last Friday and hoped to shoot the rifle over the weekend. The weather and other things did not cooperate, though. I did fire a little BP with no ball on Saturday. I first needed to get the patch I lost down the barrel out, and sans a patch puller, I dropped a few grains into the breech and shot it out. Since I needed to clean it after that, I shot a couple small charges of powder.

When cleaning it for the first time, I discovered that the bottom of the barrel about 1 inch from the breech seems to be corroded. The rest of the bore is shiny and looks good. Anyway, the rough area at the bottom grabbed a dry patch and it was pretty hard getting the ramrod out (I succeeded in pulling the end off the ramrod before getting it and the patch out -- I'll be replacing the rod soon).

I took the rifle out yesterday with some friends. I have some good places for my own range here, which is nice. We set up targets at 50 yards. I loaded the gun with 40 grains of fffg Goex, a .530 RB, and a lubed pillow ticking patch. It shot nicely. The shot was a bit low, but the windage was not bad. I adjusted the sight and fired again, much improved. We upped the powder to 50 grains, and four of us fired it probably 15 times all together. Between us, we were hitting within 3" of the center at 50 yards.

The only really bad shot was when the 14 year old who was shooting (and loving it -- he's shot traditional ML before) launched the ramrod (not the one that goes with the gun) down the range. He got quite a kick (literally) out of that one. We didn't realize what had happened until we couldn't find the rod when loading for the next shot.

I'll be taking the rifle out again soon and spend some time getting to know it better. I was pleased with it the first time. The sound, smoke, and smell is great! :) .530 balls make some pretty good sized holes, too.

Darryl

Ramrod on the first date and he came home happy! I think we have a convert!

Back