• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ball patch options for 32 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncmrkhd

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got a Traditions 32 cal Crockett and trying diff combos to shoot....would a 310 ball with 20 patch be the equivalent of a 320 with a 10 patch? Would the minor weight diff be of any value? I generally shoot spit patch as I'm shooting at paper and so far no patch has burned or shredded. Doesn't a 310/20 combo work better than a 310/10 for the sake of velocity?

I've shot both .310 swaged hornadys and cast .311 in my 32 traditions with pillow ticking (about .018) and spit patch. .020 patch should be fine with a .310 ball.

It is pretty tight at 25 yards. My old eyes aren't the greatest.

One thing that I have noticed on both .32 and .36, is that they don't seem to need the tight ball/patch combination, like the larger calibers. I'm guessing it is due to the light powder charges. In my .32 I didn't want to deal with too tight of a patch, due to the skinny ram rod. As luck would have it, the .310 ball and .010 patch, shot such good groups, that I just stopped trying any tighter combinations.

I had similar results with the .36, which also worked out good for hunting situations.

If I was just target shooting, I guess it would be worth trying some tighter combinations.

uncmrkhd said:
I recently got a Traditions 32 cal Crockett and trying diff combos to shoot....would a 310 ball with 20 patch be the equivalent of a 320 with a 10 patch? Would the minor weight diff be of any value? I generally shoot spit patch as I'm shooting at paper and so far no patch has burned or shredded. Doesn't a 310/20 combo work better than a 310/10 for the sake of velocity?

A 0.320" diameter ball with 0.010" thick patch will have two thicknesses of patching making a diameter of 0.340" before compression of the patching. The 0.310" ball with two thicknesses of 0.020" patching will have 0.350" before compression of the patching. The second combination will be tighter to load and the patches will have to be compressed more tightly in the bore. Probably shoot very good.

Back