• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got a new shooter in the field but had a problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassdog1

32 Seneca Guy
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
One of my sons friends recently inherited two traditional muzzle loaders from his grandfathers estate. One is a 32 caliber flintlock and the other a 45 Caliber Percussion. Both were built by his grandfather in the 70s and are in good shape. He asked if I could help him get started with the guns so we took them out today. The 32 Flinter was very accurate wit 25 grains of powder, .310 swaged ball and .015 Mink oil patch. We had trouble getting it to fire consistently but I am not the best with flint and will get him in touch with a couple folks that I know with more knowledge in that area. The Percussion gun was very accurate as well with 65 Grains. a .440 ball and a .015 patch but loaded kin of loose and the patches were shredded. I will help him on developing the load and getting a better patch and ball combo worked out. The problem came when we were cleaning and found a large crack in the hammer. The lock is older and obviously repurposed for this gun I will post some photos just wondering if anyone would be able to repair this hammer.

This is the lock and crack.

Attachments

• 704496AB-1947-4124-8F75-DC52663B96FA.jpeg
    704496AB-1947-4124-8F75-DC52663B96FA.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 49F4084B-AF6E-46E9-9DB2-DD4B3994CF7B.jpeg
    49F4084B-AF6E-46E9-9DB2-DD4B3994CF7B.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BB6B589F-2CDA-43C0-B118-7D2C6FE40BCB.jpeg
    BB6B589F-2CDA-43C0-B118-7D2C6FE40BCB.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
The drum, Bassdog1, should be supported by the lock plate more securely than what's shown in the photos and the hammer does have a noticeable crack as you stated. For shredding patches an op wad works as will smoothing the muzzle crown and going to thicker patching. You already know your lubes as well as anyone here. Perhaps Scotch Bright swabbing could help?

Definitely gonna polish the crown and bore and try some better and thicker patching. Just wondering about repairing the hammer as its well outside my comfort zone.

Any (automotive) welding shop worth their salt would be able to TIG it, if they're willing to take on a small project (many won't).

I would be willing to do it. I tig weld for a living mostly stainless but that should be a pretty easy fix if it’s just carbon steel. Does anyone know what it’s made of? Is it hardened?

Back