• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baking bread.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't have the wood cook stove fired up, but I am baking a couple of loaves of whole wheat bread this evening. Too bad it won't be done till bed time. If I eat it fresh with melted butter I'll be in bad shape through the night.

My Wife used to make 3 loves of sour dough bread from a wild starter yeast. We would eat one loaf as soon as it cooled enough, she gave one away, and saved the other for the next day. The best I have ever had.

My Wife used to make 3 loves of sour dough bread from a wild starter yeast.

Neat!
How long did she have to let the yeast or sponge sit before it got the bacteria to make it sour dough?

I had a sponge naturally go sour and kept it for a year, but alas I lost it, and the next sponge made good bread, but didn't sour for several months.

LD

I've used a bunch of sources of recipes over the years including a "graham bread" recipe that was my grandmother's. Recently I've been using recipes from a Mother Earth News bread cook book. I've tried a number of recipes from it and all are good.

Loyalist Dave said:
My Wife used to make 3 loves of sour dough bread from a wild starter yeast.

Neat!
How long did she have to let the yeast or sponge sit before it got the bacteria to make it sour dough?

I had a sponge naturally go sour and kept it for a year, but alas I lost it, and the next sponge made good bread, but didn't sour for several months.

LD
Make a starter with water, sugar, flour and some aspen bark and/or Oregon Grape berries. Both have natural yeast on their surface the culture will be sour in a few days.

Make a starter with water, sugar, flour and some aspen bark and/or Oregon Grape berries. Both have natural yeast on their surface the culture will be sour in a few days.

Hmmm..., I don't really have access to those. Maybe though I will do an experiment and toss in frosty, concord grape. Maybe that will work too.

I ask as I simply expected my second sponge to sour just as the first did..., but it was natural sour probably from bacteria in the air and for some reason it didn't sour the second time.

Somebody tried to tell me that as long as the sponge is natural and I let it sit about three days before baking each following batch, I was making "sour dough". I told him I was pretty sure a bacteria that gave a special smell and sour flavor was necessary..., not simply some sort of time thing.

I also like to use brewing yeast when making historic bread..., I like Edme Ale Yeast, as it would be the same stuff used back then. It's funny stuff though. You need about 10 hours before the first rise... so make the dough at about 10 p.m., and set it aside, covered, if you want to bake at 06:00.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:

Hmmm..., I don't really have access to those. Maybe though I will do an experiment and toss in frosty, concord grape. Maybe that will work too.

I ask as I simply expected my second sponge to sour just as the first did..., but it was natural sour probably from bacteria in the air and for some reason it didn't sour the second time.

Somebody tried to tell me that as long as the sponge is natural and I let it sit about three days before baking each following batch, I was making "sour dough". I told him I was pretty sure a bacteria that gave a special smell and sour flavor was necessary..., not simply some sort of time thing.

I also like to use brewing yeast when making historic bread..., I like Edme Ale Yeast, as it would be the same stuff used back then. It's funny stuff though. You need about 10 hours before the first rise... so make the dough at about 10 p.m., and set it aside, covered, if you want to bake at 06:00.

LD

I can mail some of mine to you, if you like.

I have no idea. Wife lost the starter when we moved to MT 23 years ago. We have sold our home and will be moving back to VA soon but a friend of Wife still has starter and we will send samples to anyone when we get back.

I am a sucker for bread. Mrs. likes that manure white bread sold at all the local markets. I have trouble passing a bakery. Hot crusty chewy dark sour rye, or Pumpernickel. Seven grain, etc. The was a bakery in Hershey PA run by an elderly Italian gent. His bread had so much other stuff in it that it was like eating a sandwich. Pepperoni, black olive and Provolone bread. A favorite Bakery down near DC had Russian Black bread. It was a little sweet, had a slight cocoa and orange taste and was dark dark brown. An Amish bakery near Lancaster PA makes a glazed apple, cinnamon and cranberry bread that I can smell for miles. Another bakery in Falls Church VA had tomato bacon bread. It was strange looking, kind of pink with red and brown spots in it. Oh so good.

Last time I went to the Jacobsburg state park rendy, a couple was making stone ground wheat bread in an outdoor oven. When it was still hot, it was like a bite of heaven. The next day it was hard as a rock.

Back