• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baker Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at purchasing a Baker Rifle reproduction, think it might be an India rifle. Any suggestions on powder loads? Fffg or ffg? Or just a wall hanger, until I get some work done to it?? Thanks in advance for recommendations

If you take a look at britishmuzzleloaders on Youtube, you'll see what Rob did to his Indian-made 'Baker' rifle to make it work.

If the India Manufactured Baker Rifle is the one offered by Loyalist Arms, then be aware that the "rifle" is smooth bored.

loyalistarms.freeservers.com/bakerifle.html

By the way, I have two Loyalist Arms muskets and I believe that the offerings from Loyalist Arms are solid, good functioning arms and safe to use based on my two muskets and the other Loyalist Muskets used by my reenacting unit.

If you’re going to go for a baker rifle or any historical military pattern rifle, I would not purchase an Indian made smoothbore replica.

Colerain makes a rifled barrel but I doubt the taper on that barrel matches the Indian made gunstock and by the time you get it to fit you probably would have a mess of a baker rifle.

I would put in your order form to the Rifle Shoppe for one as soon as possible, get on their list and you’ll have your kit by December 2021 or June of 22. Have Dave Stalvo from Lodgewood Arms assemble the kit, Dave does excellent military rifle work.

I have a Middlesex arms Baker. It did come as a smoothbore and i ordered a Colerain barrel for it. It literally snapped into place. Doesn’t come with breach plug or barrel tenons or bayonet mount these are available from the rifle shop but not always in stock.
Rob says he has had two Bakers the first an Indian made the current from the rifle shop.

I have a Middlesex arms Baker. It did come as a smoothbore and i ordered a Colerain barrel for it. It literally snapped into place. Doesn’t come with breach plug or barrel tenons or bayonet mount these are available from the rifle shop but not always in stock.
Rob says he has had two Bakers the first an Indian made the current from the rifle shop.

Most people that I know of who had rebarreled an Indian made baker rifle had to have it done by a gunsmith, the end result wasn’t great too.

I have an 1817 common rifle kit from the Rifle Shoppe with a Bobby Hoyt Barrel that I’m going to start working on soon.

The 1776 Rifle is on my list too.

How long does is take for TRS to reply to correspondence? I would love a Baker Rifle, but TRS seems to be the only option for a good shooter, and they seem to be behind? or they generally a little slow

This year their response by email has been slow the best bet is to call them by phone. Just be aware of the time zone . They are a small shop tending to a large crowd. Took about two months to get my Bess because i had them assemble the lock

Most people that I know of who had rebarreled an Indian made baker rifle had to have it done by a gunsmith, the end result wasn’t great too.
FWIW I just had a smoothbore Baker barrel (sold by Military Heritage) rifled by Bobby Hoyt and it co$t me only $80, plus shipping.

This is what he did:
  • Removed the breech plug and checked the plug and breech area for integrity (he verified it safe for rifling and shootin')
  • Checked the barrel for straightness - If it isn't straight, he can re-drill and add a rifled liner, which co$ts more $$, and where he prefers to rifle the existing barrel where he can
  • Rifled the barrel to a slooooooow twist 7-groove 62-caliber
Net result? Cool ... a shootable Baker rifle!

Back