• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baiting hogs, what works?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincaveman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I found hog wallows around my house(yes in Ohio :blah: ) What works for bait? Shelled corn? soured corn? Any other ideas? Talk to me like a 3 year old because I never hunted hogs befor since I live in Ohio.

Josh

Have not hunted "wild" hogs (none around here) but on the farm corn/cracked corn had them squealing/fighting for more. Saw them eat chicks/poults whole if they went into their pens.

They'd eat about anything you gave them so I'd say get what is cheap. If you can get old spoiled produce it's free and will work, two day old dounuts, old bread. I saw an old sow consume whole loafs with ONE bite :shocked2:

An old farmer I know got rid of dead animals in the pig pen....... :barf:

Here in Germany the best bait is corn. You have to built a real bait place where the hogs have to work to get the corn. 2 possibilities:

1. Put the corn in a cylinder with many little holes, nearly so big that the corn can fall throug out. Put a chain at the cylinder and pin it in the ground so that the hogs can't put it away, but turn round to make the corn falling out.

2. Take several bigger stones (babys head) and but corn under them. Take only less corn.

The effect of both methods is, that the hogs have to work and will stay longer at the bait. So more time for you to watch and shoot.
Further more put a salt stone on a pin in the earth and make same beechtreetare at the pin, so that the hogs can rub at the pin.

When they are at the bait, don't shoot at the biggest hog. It is in most cases a leading hog. Take the smallest, even when it is hard. But if a leading hog is killed the complete herd will be leaderless and make many many damages in the fields.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Kirrmeister

In Germany it is not allowed to give the feral hogs rubbish or old food or even dead animals as a bait. That will be the best way to make them ill and getting the hog pest. This illnes is also dangerous for the house pigs.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Here is a site that specializes in all things dealing with wild hogs. How to trap em, how to hunt them, how to catch em with dogs etc.
[url] http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/[/url]

Hope it answeres your questions.

PS: When shooting Big Boars use a Big Bore!

Have fun

Last edited by a moderator:
apples and old baked goods (donuts and such), pumpkins, corn. they are great eating, those feral hogs if you find them around orchards, acorns, wild berrys or even squash/pumpkin fields. good luck!

find where you want the pigs to go,then dig a shallow wallow and fill it with water,make your own pig wallow

In real life I manage an irrigation district with 325 miles of open canals and ditches. The hogs really tear that up.

We get sweet feed at the ranch supply store and put that out. It really pulls them in, but you gotta be vigilant because they dont stay long. A hog is fast, real fast. One little movement or sound on your part and they are hi-tailin it. A lot of our shots are 200 yards or more because of the openness of the terrain. You need to fix you up a blind that you can oversee your bait. I wouldnt set on the ground waitin on them myself.

You need to put that sweet feed out for several days to get them to come to it. Once they find it, they really like it. You have to put it out real early so that they get used to coming at daylight when you can shoot. Sweet feed is bagged feed with a lot of molasses in it. Used for horses and cattle.

I was going to suggest using ears of corn, and then pour molasses on them. That is often much cheaper than buying a mix. I do agree about using a blind, and planning on putting feed out for several days before even bothering to hunt. It takes time for the word to get out to the hogs to bring them in.

Sounds like them little pesty feral hawgs to me. Set ya up an automatic corn feeder with whole corn if it's legal in your state. When that feeder goes off, it's like a dinner bell for the piggers. I've seen feral hogs run off the whitetail in central Texas a few years (many) back.

You can run traps, but if they trip it one time, you can bet you won't catch that one hawg. Once the population builds, they are smart little critters.

Fun to shoot and good eating on the youngans, but a pain in the butt in the long run.

Best of luck.
Cat9

PS: Glad not to deal with them where I live now.

josh here in western australia i use rock mellons[ithink you call them cantalopes] pigs love them use over ripe ones the smell brings them in.
bernie :thumbsup:

Josh,
You don't say where you are at in Ohio nor
if the hogs are causing proprty damage or
a threat to life.I deer hunt the Logan area, but have not seen a wild hog,but have seen where
the have been.They can be as elusive as deer
when they want to be,or very stupid, and in your
back yard or closer whenever.
There is no closed season on wild hogs in Ohio.
The only restriction I can find is you are
not permitted to trap them. Of course if you
do this on your own property you don't even
need a hunting license. I would urge you to
contact your county DNR officer for specifics.
I might also add that knowing
you county game warden is a very good
sourse of information when it comes to hunting,
fishing or any outdoor activity.IMO
snake-eyes:hmm:

Been a long, long time, but when I was a kid we used to bait both ferral pigs and javalina into traps (actually pens with one-way gates). Shelled corn was all we used, but it worked so well we never had to use anything else. Took the critters a while too find it sometimes, but once they did, you had to lock the gates when you didn't want any more pigs. They kept nosing into the pens looking for more, even when there wasn't any. Seemed that they were kinda like bears- once they found a food source, they kept coming back for more. That's cuzz we'd have as many as half a dozen come in overnight, but took only the one we wanted and turned out the rest.

We have been trapping feral hogs for some years on a friend's ranch in central Texas. You can find all sorts of baits on the web, and we have tried most, if not all of them. The only bait we tried that brought 8 young hogs into the trap at one time was accidental. We have an annual crawfish boil, and a couple years back two or three pounds of them died before they got to the pot. Took those dead crawfish and dumped them in the trap. Two mornings later the 8 little piggies were in the trap. They really had to hurry to all get into a 4 x 6 space before the door dropped. :haha:
Have never repeated this, as we have never had a significant number of mud bugs die before we cook them, and they are too good not to cook just to catch hogs :rotf:

I emailed this to you Captain but figured others could benefit from it also. I found this on a hog hunting site and it works great.I wish I could remember the site I found this on so I could give the proper credit,,, just know this is not my idea.

Buy some cracked corn and 5 or 6 gallons of buttermilk. You can save a little money by asking for the outdated buttermilk. Put the corn in a bucket with a lid and add the buttermilk to cover the corn. Leave the bucket out so the buttermilk will sour. Check the bucket in a couple of days (from up wind) and add buttermilk as needed to cover the corn. Do not fill the bucket to the top with corn, as it will expand and overflow. Find a location where hog activity has occurred. Dig a hole 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter and to the same depth. Pour the corn and sour buttermilk into the hole up to within 2-4 inches of ground level. Cover the hole with dirt and add another gallon of sour buttermilk and any remaining cracked corn over the hole. This bait will require hogs to do some rooting to get to the mixture in the hole, thus creating a longer period in one location.

Hope this helps, I have used it and it works up here in Michigan.

There are as many ways of baiting hogs as there are people who bait hogs. Some ideas are:

1. Shelled corn
2. Shelled corn soaked in water to sour it
3. Shelled corn soaked in diesel
4. Spread strawberry jello around the baited
site, jello odor goes for a long ways
5. Use post hole digger to bury shelled corn,
add water and cover with dirt. Area will
look like a mine field.
6. Old baked goods
7. Hogs will literally eat anything.

As Kirrmeister advised, do not shoot the lead hog.
When you do you destroy the group leadership and the group will wander around. Also when you shoot a piglet, the mother hog will know exactly where she lost one of her piglets and will not return to that area.

Hogs have a tenacity for life and do not give up easily.

RDE

Back