• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bacon Quest gone off course

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, finally drew blood with the new flinter. Had the chance to go out to the swamp this morning and creep around for a bit. Saw a nice pig within 15 minutes of getting into the woods but it was too far to take a shot and doing its little powerwalk to somewhere else.

Started following the path it took (the wind suited it) along the edge of where cypress swamp meets the oak and palmettos. Crept along for about 30 minutes and heard something coming my way so I backed in between some palmettos and took a knee hoping that pig was on his/her way back. After a few minutes I saw a young doe poke her head around the curve. She never came all the way out into view but stopped for a few seconds with just her neck showing between a tree and the brush. Considering that in a few seconds she would certainly wind me I took the shot. .50,90gr FFG ~25yds, DRT.
Doe2.jpg

Kinda small...........ok real small, but we don't get big deer here. Gonna make some nice chili and curry. Didn't get the hoped for pig but this'll do.

For now.

For those of you stuck in the frozen north, this is where I'm creeping around at over the last few days. The general area anyway.

This is what the general terrain looks like.
Terrain5.jpg

Terrain2.jpg

Terrain.jpg

Couple of wallows
IMG_0605.jpg

Wallow.jpg

Some real good scratching trees. Odd thing here. There are rubs where it looks like the pigs are laying down on the ground to scratch on these. Never really seen that anywhere else.
Oldrub.jpg

Rubatwallow.jpg

Rubatwallow2.jpg

Rubatwallow3.jpg

Found me a nice hiding spot. I can sit upright in this.
HidingTree.jpg

Wonder how long these tracks have been there?
TrainTree.jpg

Got to within about 30 yds of some turkeys. Probably won't be able to do this when their season opens. haha
Turkeys.jpg

That's what we're talking about! Congrats. First blood is first blood.

Looks like great country to hunt. How tall are those palmettos? Ought to make for some great creaping cover if you could keep you feet quiet.

they're about waist high. It's not as loud as it looks. It's such a low area that the ground stay damp so the leaves never really get good and crunchy. Of course the downside is that a couple good days of rain and I can go through there in a canoe.

This area is a great big huge swampy river basin. There are some areas there that are really good if you don't mind working to get to them. High spots kind of like islands surrounded by soft soggy bottoms that are a lot of work to walk through.

Which, of course, is why they're good.

Every time I've gone here I've either seen or heard pigs. They're just hard to get a shot at this time of year. Much easier when it's HOT and they get up mid day to wallow and cool down.

Aww don't worry, the piggies are there, you'll get one sooner or later . . .

Nice tender looking deer too!

Sweet kill there bud and great pics! :thumbsup:

As for eatin,them be the best there is.I am addicted to hunting mature bucks, but I always put them kind there in my freezer!

Congratulations on the deer, I'm sure you'll get a shot at one of those pigs sooner or later. :thumbsup:

Supercracker,
What are redbugs (chiggers?) and how do you not get them, like sitting on the ground against a tree?

Nice shot!

But I'll keep my snow and ice thanks. I had two bucks within 7 yds but they had the drop on me and blew when cocked the rock. Maybe tonight I'll be a little smarter.

It depends on where they are, what they've been eating, how old they are and male or female.

I grew up on them but we mostly live-trapped them, then picked and chose among them for the ones we wanted to eat. Smaller ones in early fall were best in our area, but we'd take an oldster now and then for a big batch of tamales or sausage. I know "trophy" boars in some areas are considered inedible and prized in others. A good pig is better than any domestic pork I've ever had, but a bad one will teach you new lessons in spice and meat care.

Latest posts

Back