• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Attaching Sight to Thompson Center Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infrangible

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I really have no idea what I am doing, but I try. After tracking down an original sight for my kit Hawken, I now need instructions. How do I attach the sight? Do I need to remove the pin at the end then re-attach after the base is fixed to the barrel? Removing the height screw does not open up the piece so I can get to the two base screws. See attached pics and if you know please tell me what to do.

Thanks,

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3866.jpg
    IMG_3866.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3867.jpg
    IMG_3867.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3865.jpg
    IMG_3865.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 55
yes you will have to drift that hinge pin out, then back in after attaching the sight to the barrel.
just a word to the wise. see that slotted nut on the port(left) side of the sight? do not lose it. impossible to replace without making one. and that is a bigger pain then my mother-in-law was God rest her!

Last edited:
yes you will have to drift that hinge pin out, then back in after attaching the sight to the barrel.
just a word to the wise. see that slotted nut on the starboard side of the sight? do not lose it. impossible to replace without making one. and that is a bigger pain then my mother-in-law was God rest her!
Thanks Deerstalkert. How would you remove the hinge pin with only a hammer and a steel punch. Should I get a different set of tools?

put the sight in a padded vice and get a eeeny teeeny punch. drive from the port (left side as you would be looking through the sight) it is really a tiny punch needed. avoid driving it completely out , just enough to remove the ramp. don't lose the spring.
i used a hardened leather needle (don't tell the wife) that i chucked up and turned a shoulder on leaving the point for a center guide. most punch sets won't have a punch small enough that won't turn into a pretzel on you. put some slick-em on the little pin to reinstall. you use the same punch to drive it back in.
this is the capture nut i mentioned. still haven't found a replacement. had to make this one.
20210701_165459.jpg

Last edited:
put the sight in a padded vice and get a eeeny teeeny punch. drive from the port (left side as you would be looking through the sight) it is really a tiny punch needed. avoid driving it completely out , just enough to remove the ramp. don't loose the spring.
i used a hardened leather needle (don't tell the wife) that i chucked up and turned a shoulder on leaving the point for a center guide. most punch sets won't have a punch small enough that won't turn into a pretzel on you. put some slick-em on the little pin to reinstall. you use the same punch to drive it back in.
this is the capture nut i mentioned. still haven't found a replacement. had to make this one.View attachment 83295
That is absolutely superb advice. Yours is slightly different than mine. Now I feel bad that my ADHD did not let me wait. I suppose these tools worked, but they seem wrong now.

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 46
There are at least two kinds of TC rear sights, you have to remove the pin on the older ones, you just have to remove the adjustment screw and flip the top up on the newer ones. The catch is the mounting hole spacing is different between the older and newer sights. I have mounted a newer sight on an old barrel with one screw because the holes didn't line up, it held OK.

Back