• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

AR5oo steel targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackAubrey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the forum! I have a small back yard shooting range, only about 50 yards long. It has a berm but I want to add some AR500 steel plate. I want to angle it ( like this side view: \ )this would direct the bullet into a sand berm where it could be recovered.

I shoot a brown bess, 1861 Springfield, 1853 Enfield, Lyman GPR. There will be no smokeless powder or modern bullets fired. How thick should I get the steel plates? I have q 1/8 inch stainless steel plate, and a .58 mine blew right through it.

Thanks for your opinions in advance, and may each of you have a safe and prosperous New Year! JA

I used to manufacture and sell steel silhouette targets using T1A steel. T1A is a high impact resistant steel used in the mining industry. Still, a muzzle loader could put a mighty cavity in it with heavy charges. The key is to NOT have the target solidly fixed. Hanging from a chain is, IMHO, the best method. Weld the chain a couple inches down from the top on the back side. This will allow the target to move on impact and direct the projectile downward into your sand pile. If you weld on top you first shot will bust that weld, fer sure. DAMHIK :wink: :redface:

My son gave me one of these for Christmas: http://shootingtargets7.com/
Spend some time looking at the website and look at the slowmotion videos they have of what actually happens to a bullet at impact. Yesterday I added the chain as per their instructions. What I plan to do is buy two 64" shepards hooks from Home Depot and attach a 2x4 across the two hooks, with the target suspended below. I will drill two holes in the 2x4 in order to insert the curved end of the hooks; that should stabilze the target. Mine is 1/2"thick, but only a 4" diameter. I plan to order an 8" one to mount side by side. That way I have a little more of a challenge, dependant upon conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rigged my 4" metal target with the shepard hooks and shot rimfire 100 times. If I use a larger metal target shooting ML'ers, I will have to use the 2x4 brace across the top and suspend the chains and targets.
Link

Link

Notice my hybrid cocklebur in the pasture. There seems to be a good crop, and anyone who wants some seeds....just let me know :wink:

Latest posts

Back