• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anybody else eat deer heart?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsoul

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anybody enjoys eating deer heart like I do.

I was taught as a young man that God gave that animal life, and you took it away. So as a tribute to God and the animal, everyone in camp eats a piece of the heart on the day it was killed.

If its not damaged by the shot, I enjoy it sauteed in butter with onions, mushrooms, and garlic.Of course if the heart is destroyed by a well placed round ball, loins and straps will suffice...

Yes, I do. My wife does also. Favorite cooking method is stuffed and baked.
"Normal" people just don't understand, I guess they think it comes from a dead animal!
Woodbutcher

Ironically, I'm an avid deer hunter but can't stand the stuff...have given away every deer I've shot for the last few decades...just love to hunt them !
Same with any wild game I take...turkey, squirrels, doves all go to needy families out in the country near where I hunt.
Quail were always my favorite from way back in the 60's / 70's but haven't been quail hunting in 30-35 years.

Yup.

And the liver.

And the kidneys.

And the tongue.

And the "lace" of fat over the paunch. Lace is sweet like butter. Peel it off while warm, drape over a bush to harden and cool, then fold in waxed paper for carry. Back home, wrap it around a roast and bake. Outstanding. :thumbsup:

Heart, sliced in rings, flopped in flour and browned and then simmered in mushroom gravy!!!
Liver browned the same but finished with onions!

have never tried it.

i left the innards for the scavengers in my recent deer kill.

perhaps ill keep some of the organs next time, im always up for trying new foods as long as im sure they are edible.

-Matt

Matt85 said:
have never tried it.

perhaps ill keep some of the organs next time, im always up for trying new foods as long as im sure they are edible.

-Matt
Watch for liver fluke!

Matt85 said:
have never tried it.

-Matt
I am glad you left them there for the critters, they were plenty happy to find them I am sure.
It would have turned my stomach cooking up liver or heart (which I would have, had you asked)
I can't stand domestic livestocks organs, I am sure that wild critters would be just as gross.

War Hawk said:
Watch for liver fluke!

this is why i always cook things all the way threw. on the flip side of that... i tend to overcook things. :cursing:

-Matt

You're not kidding . Use to eat deer liver all the time until I came across one full of flukes . Dis-gusting ! Never ate one again . Wouldn't even feed that to my dog . :td:
Heart . Now were talkin . Slice it up , boil it then pickle it . Wk later , cold beer and crackers . You'd thought you died and went to heaven . :grin:

Its good pickled heart that is

I had a researcher friend show me liver flukes and I've never eaten it since

cynthialee said:
I do not eat internal organs.
:barf:
+1
We used to eat all that, especially from elk. But organ meat is high in cholestrol, so I quit eating it. We used to throw the elk liver in a pot with salt water, and let it soak over night, them make omelets in the morning before going out again. It was really good. I never did have a taste for heart.

Back